July 2018: Am I crazy or have the boards been a little extra bad lately?

Have you been using Raid Flasks recently?

Not raid flasks. I pretty much never use those.

Do you think that has any effect?

Didn’t notice anything unusually bad. Regular good, bad, and ugly in different ratios.

1 Like

Thanks for your input

Over time I have noticed one type of item (Mystic Vision) improve and another trail off, so if you see this, no I don’t think it’s time to drag out the tinfoil hat quite yet. (I accepted it long ago; I just look for the shifts.)

As for Bad Boards: I finally got Wu Kong strong enough not to Immediately die on Titans and have been playing with him pretty much nonstop. I started off getting 1/3 to 1/2 better scores than before, but now they’ve dribbled back to same old same ol. Is that bad Boards or player incompetence on my part? :grin:

2 Likes

I have retired wu kong from the titan fight for the time being. He is not only not helping, but actually making performance worse. He still works with 6* and 7* titans, but with higher titans I cannot afford his missed tiles in stunning spots. And my boards have been so bad of late that my usual 30-40 k hits are down to 10k, against 9*s

1 Like

I’m using him on 10’s. So far not making miss worse than I was before. We shall see! :grin:

2 Likes

Your question can simply be answered with ab big NO!

Since there is nobody here who analyzed the program code, we just don’t know how the boards are generated. It would take only few lines inside of the program code to give people different “randomness” or to make it dependent on the properties of the enemy.

There are so many points you have to discuss regarding the random problem.

• Where is it generated: at the client system or at the server? At the server you have unlimited possibilities for personalized randomness. You could easily give good buyers better results than f2p people. And I mean that the results of the summonings come directly from the server. So SG can easily make one user happy so he can write here how he got 3 HOTMs with a 10x pull.
  • Does the random algorithm use parts of the client hardware? This could lead to different results on a iphone compared to a samsung for example.
  • If the random algorithm interacts with the operating system then it would be possible to generate different results even on identical hardware.
  • It also matters how a series of random numbers is called/generated and how/if the algorithm is feeded with a seed between the number generation. The seed is used for initialisation of the random generator. If the seed is the same the result will also be the same. And that’s the point I think of when Wu Kong misses 4 or more times in a row. A badly programmed generator.
1 Like

Before any final conclusion, make a video of your play and check the part “The Gems Are Random, But Humans Are Not” from here:

Also, count a bit.

“Narrow vision” is usually the biggest enemy of your gameplay, and since we remember loses better than wins, ‘bad boards’ stuck longer in our brain.

I’ve read this post when I was around 1 month in the game, and when I had the impression that ‘titans are easiest, raids are hard, wars are impossible’. After this post and thinking HOW I play, in next three months of my playing my experience is that yes, sometimes I can’t win because I didn’t manage to push the board properly. Best test is in raids - I rarely lose all three tries, and often one board will be spectacular fireworks show.

So, I go and enjoy the fireworks.

2 Likes

I definitely rolled “bad luck” aka sub-optimal starting boards last war. Stacking against the tank and starved for the relevant tiles.

I even joked about it in alliance chat at the time. It was horrendous. I really botched my first flags (not that it matters, we lost by a country mile!).

After noticing a discussion on tile distributions of tiles in raids here in the forums, I started tracking my raids and decided to go back to rainbow raiding for awhile. I am considering also going rainbow warrior for the next war.

Call it narrow vision, or a bad luck streak but I’ll do whatever works to fill that chest I guess :wink:

Edit: rainbow might not be as sub-optimal as it sounds, for me personally. To double up I am in some cases using 3* or weaker 4*. So my full power rainbow squad may just be better overall for raiding.

2 Likes

I still find that my best Titan hits involve Wu Kong going off.

I’ve also heard a lot of clamoring about Wu Kong lately, but just as with the randomness of the boards, Wu Kong tinkering theories seem to pop up every few weeks.

Thank you everyone for your input. Lots of interesting stuff!

What is your definition of “bad” ? That you color stacked red and blue and your board was covered with most yellow and green with a few reds ? Or that your initial board was somewhat well color balanced BUT everything was way too randomly placed with no way to start making matches before your heroes start getting killed off ?

I consider the latter to be a bad board. Not many immediate matches and it requires too many moves to start gaining mana. This wastes so much time that you can’t even get one special up before you lose.

The fact that you stacked green and got purples is not a bad board in my eyes… What would’ve happened if you stacked purple ? Why that would’ve been a killer board wouldn’t it… ?

On another note… I think color stacking is making us lazy. We’re relying solely in getting enough immediate favorable tile matches to annihilate the defense, and we feel so proud of ourselves when we do. Frankly, I think thats a false sense of skill level. We’re relying so much favorable boards that we’re loosing the ability to turn a bad board into a win. Now that takes some skill…

4 Likes

The first one involving bad boards for color stacking.

Some people suggest that players somehow get penalized for color stacking with purposely unfavorable boards. I’m not saying that I believe it, but many people swear by it.

That being said, everything you said is most likely true so thanks for your input.

1 Like

Yup, it seems we’re pretty good at resurrecting old topics, like bad boards and the Wu phenomena… lol

I’d like to think that if SG would nerf Wu or make logic changes to our boards, specially logic that has been in place for a long time, that they would disclose it as part of release notes. But, one can only hope…

The primary reason that color stacking is a thing is because of the increase in attacking power… And that is by design, not coincidence which leads me to believe that they are perfectly fine with color stacking, in fact allowing it as an advanced strategy, so why then would they penalize us for it ? It just doesn’t make sense to me…

1 Like

I posted in my old alliances thread several videos of 4-1 and 5-0 non-event 4* hero teams (either 4 of one color and another color or all one color teams) taking on only top 100 defense teams. I was winning ~6/7 out of 10 with those teams over about 15 raids. So boards are a bit off at times, but on average they seem pretty fair (if not unreasonably good, farmable 4* teams against the best defenses money can buy).

My bad board paranoia went away when i started videoing most of my raids and having others point out all of the stupid mistakes I made… it is always hard to blame the board when you failed to string a diamond/gem together.

Some things that I do and find it makes me lose (e.g. the times that I think that I am getting shafted):

• Chase the last board. Go in 4 Blue and get mostly purple. Switch to purple and get mostly green. Switch to green and so on
  • Do a stupid team and blame the board (5 weak yellows against a strong yellow tank).
  • Raid too late at night or too early in the morning… bad choices.
  • Raid angry, bad choices abound then.
3 Likes

That is abad board for me. Like in the past 8 titans I barely had 3 keys to throw to the stun, or even anywhere. That is very deadly against 9s and 10s. When I mention boards I am mentioning titan boards, as I do not give a fig about raids or wars. I only stack 2 against titans, which gives me at least 4 colors, so, it is a pretty bad board by all angles

2 Likes

I rarely have those 3 tiles to stun the titan right away. I have accepted the fact that 7/10 I never will. I usually have a timestop ready, which I hate because they’re so expensive. But if I don’t use a timestop I’ll look for the quickest diamond I can find to start clearing the unwanted tiles. This works out sometimes but other times I manage to do is charge the titan’s mana faster. Which is why timestops and tornadoes are such a key item on high level titans…

But at least I can still make enough matches and diamonds to clear the board, even if I can’t use any of it since I usually always stack 4-1. So, that to me is an unfavorable board, because I can still make plenty of matches right away, just not any I can use, hahaha… Not quite a “bad” board per se… But I totally see your point…

2 Likes

If you really believe they would actually do that, then don’t play this game anymore. There are bad boards and good boards. I destroy teams and titans whenever I get a good board and with a bad board it’s about the challenge of playing more strategically. Clearing tiles at the right heroes or at the right places to get more of the colors I want showing up. During raids and war you have a lot of time to think so take your time to make your move. During titans it challenges your reflexes and quick thinking so even though two players can be using the same heroes and items one of them will eventually consistently be a better titan hitter since it is a skill.

First: Please don’t tell me what to do.

Second: I’m long enough on this planet to know what people do for money.

This game was made to make money. Much money. You can read about that in another topic on this board:

And when one beginns to nerf secretly (and SG definitly does so) then it’s no long way to that what I wrote about the possibilities to influence randomness.

1 Like

First: Please don’t tell me what to do.
Second: I’m long enough on this planet to know what people do for money.
This game was made to make money. Much money.

@Peter1976
What company’s goal is not to make a lot of money? Everybody needs money to support themselves and their family. So far I feel like Small Giant has been giving us a lot of content for a small company. Whether you choose to give them money back or not is your own decision. Whether you choose to continue playing or not is also your own decision. If you feel that they are being shady, then what is the point of continuing to play their game or getting on the forums throwing accusations without any proof? I play games for fun, if you’re not having fun or you’re suspecting secret nerfs and shady background stuff why continue playing?

Edit: Sorry @DontBlink wasn’t addressing my comment towards your post but more of a reply to the previous comment.

2 Likes