[Implemented - V35] Alternate Raid and War defense formations - Please add your ideas and comments here!

Merged. Thanks @jinbatsu for making the connection! :heart_decoration:

3 Likes

Suggestions of exactly this should possibly be merged into that one:

Would a merge treat votes cumulatively?

1 Like

Very cool idea to mix this up a little. I would even suggest 3 on 3. It’s friendly to beginners too because they may not have 5x 5* heroes but they might have 2 or 3. They could make the format rotate like in raid tournaments to keep it interesting.

3 Likes

This would add A LOT of options to the game.
In campaign mode sometimes enemies are in these formations.
Possibly have some formations unlocked only with certain heroes or items?
With the standard inverted V wedge across 7 columns and 3 rows, it leaves the tank exposed to 3 of 7 and the other 4 at one column each. Some of the shown formations, such as the C or inverted W, completely block access to some heroes, which may be a bit too powerful.
Other formations, such as the W, have the a hero that has more than two adjacent allies, which would make specials that affect target and nearest MUCH more powerful (also probably overpowered with the correct heroes).
Adding the inverted V would be a good option since it would not affect specials too much. Other select few, such as the W would be good if tied to specific heroes in certain positions as to not be abusable.

That would offer a tremendous variety of strategies to pvp and would probably add the most interesting feature ever suggested.

1 Like

I find it as a great idea! Very funny that would change the game a lot, maybe add so many types, but add 2 or 3 more possibilities … For some time I did not see an idea that I liked so much …

Snippet from thread that Olmor linked, TLDR it’s the same thing already posted about the weakness of the W formation hitting all opposing enemies.

Wouldn’t be much of a problem, since you can choose it or not. Inverted V would probably become the most chosen.

Formations wouldn’t force any rebalancing imo.

If you advance yourself by W to support everybody with e.g. Margret, your enemy will benefit from hitting all with e.g. Evelyn.

Imo this will balance itself, since each formation would give you advantages as well as disadvantages.

Same with tile damage, spread or focus, pros as well as cons.

It would be great to have different formations. Maybe to avoid the “target/caster and nearbies” becoming OP, the W/M-formation could have a space in the middle row so it would keep the maximum 2 neighbors, I guess.

Edit: instead of 0-3-2 for W-formation 3-0-2 or 1-2-2, for example:
formation

1 Like

Your no dout correct and that would make it part of the challenge when choosing hero’s and formation. Having said that I wouldn’t go changing the current hero’s specials because of it as that would kill the varity if challenges. Leave the hero’s as they are and the new heros according to the format options. Just my opinion.

It woukd certainly completely change the way teams are put together without a dout at all BUT just imagine the new extremely enormous fun and challenges thus change would make niw only in raids but in AW’s.

If this was implemented I would really like to hope it done across the board and not just limited to a single event or area like raids, but should it be then so be it.

Should this excellent idea ever be considered by the devs it leaves it open for a couple of ( in my opinion) important questions though.

1. should the chosen formation by the opponent be displayed when choosing your attack team.
  2. Should the attacking team be forced to use the same formation as the defense team or have an option to choose their own formation agsinst the defense team.

This idea would most certainly bring Empires & Puzzles to a whole new level for sure.

:+1::clap: and to the devs :pray: Please.

3 Likes

b30b80d9ef5193faa5be4e5249e3d5c48b67aa6a
how about this one ‘T’

This is certainly an interesting one but will severely block mana gain but defended from normal attacks.
So in an attack team this could be nice to have a slow hero in the back.

Although for an attack formation i might want a “+”. Then I might finally have some purpose for Elena (center position) who is way too weak in defense to make use of her ability.

This doesn’t respect the rule of « only one hero can block 3 corridors » so it would be unbalanced

Was thinking more about this,
Since there are 7 columns and 3 rows, the classic V formation exposes the tank to 3 columns with the remaining 4 heroes each exposed to 1 column each, AND with each hero only touches two neighboring heroes, the only valid other layout is the INVERTED V.

The inverted V follows all the rules of the original layout (all heroes exposed to at least one column, and each hero has only two neighboring heroes) with the notable difference of instead of a ‘tank’ exposed to 3 columns, there are two front heroes each exposed to two columns, and the remaining three heroes exposed to one column each.

Since it follows all the same rules, it is already ‘balanced’ and yet it is different enough that it is a totally new stategy of two mini tanks or one main tank. It would be an excellent addition to the game! @EmpiresPuzzles, @Petri

1 Like

How about using the hero academy or maybe a structure you can build even earlier to allow you to change formations? That we we could have triplee tanks or a V shape protecting the sniper in the back? It would make more heroes sought after and introduce a fresh complexity to fights.

1 Like

Inverted V, What would your DEFENSE be?

I saw this enemies formation with INVERTED V format,
If our defense can be setup like this, what would ur raid defense gonna be like?

Do you agree if SG adding NEW alternate defense format other than current formation (V shaped)? Give your vote

Okay, don’t know if this has been suggested before, but had a thought on how to make defense team setup more strategic, and require more awareness/planning out of attackers. Institute formations.

What I mean by this is NOT to allow crazy custom formations. Which would require a crazy amount of coding ad allow some truly trash setups, such as stacking all to one side. I am talking about some of the formation setups that already exist in the game on 5-monster stages. For example:

Standard:
O. . . .O
…O. .O
. . .O

Inverted:
. . .O
…O. .O
O. . . .O

Front 2:
O…O…O
…O…O

Front 3:
…O…O
O…O…O

I just think this would allow a lot more versatility in defense team setup, and require more thinking from an attacker than your basic “stack tank weak element”. Also, since these formations already exist, might not be as hard to include this feature. To keep things fair, you could have the formation the defenders are using shown on the battle confirmation screen. Or alternatively, if you just wanted to make things interesting, you could keep that as unannounced info, thereby reducing the advantage an attacker has. After all, there is usually a way to rematch, if you got wiped due to unexpected formation. The only time in my mind that it would be unfair to leave exact formation a mystery would be for raid tournaments, as a limited number of losses will knock you out of a tournament. In war, hidden formations would also encourage more teamwork and communication. This would result in a natural, completely fair benefit to the alliances who actually communicate and work together closely during wars.

Whether or not formation type is easily visible or hidden, I think this would be an AMAZING addition, adding so much more strategy, planning, and variety to make viable teams with.

2 Likes

Keep in mind the board is 7 tiles wide, the center hero is 3 tiles wide, the other 4 hero positions are 2 tiles wide. So no matter what in any of those formations, the center hero has to be 3 tiles wide.

However, I do agree that it would be a great addition to the game, and could afford so many more great options and opportunities for your defense team hero comps.

1 Like

I would like to suggest that along with the battlefield defense helpers that change for wars, the arrangement of heroes also change. We have the standard wedge formation that’s used for raids. We could also use the reverse of that (the center hero is the farthest back), and we can use the 3 up front and 2 behind (or “W” formation) that happens on some of the monster levels. This would make Wars more interesting and force people to come up with unique defensive strategies that we do not have for raiding. As it stands, the only reason to change from a proven raid defense is if an alliance is going with all one color for tanks.

This has been floated around for raids too and I love this idea. Please add this soon!