Alliance Wars Matchmaking (Discussion & Developer Response) MASTER

The team power adjustment might address some of your concerns, but not all of them. Btw, I think we have two different issues, as @Kerridoc has written while writing this comment. Basically, we’re speaking at cross-purposes.

On the one hand, team power calculations may have been affected by even the team cost; unleveled Caedmon is only 3 TP higher than fully leveled Layla (according to this image), but clearly has inferior stats compared to Layla. This issue will likely be addressed, at least in part, by the team power adjustment. I don’t think this is that intensive of a change.

On the other hand, what I have experienced in the game is that my alliance has 3-5 members that are considerably stronger than the other members, but since most members have respectable raid teams (1 team) of 2K+ team power, the strongest members’ strong heroes are being overweighted due to the algorithm not addressing how weak the weakest top 30 heroes are in light of a few strong members. This might take a few more operations, but should be worthwhile in the long run.

I’m not discounting your point; I’m just saying there may be a few more (different) problems than have been previously addressed. I wasn’t even replying to you to begin with. :wink:

1 Like

I could see it if someone was dropping cups. Not otherwise.

1 Like

We’ve had the same issues and we’ve come to look at AW as practice for raids since we’re generally 20k or so weaker than our opponent, but Never less than 10k so far. Since rewards for AW are pretty much useless unless you’re on a newbie team, it worked for most of us till you launched the AW chest. Now there’s grumbling again in my team (rightly so, I believe) because it’s never going to get filled the way things stand today.

We played nearly a year focusing on 1 group of heros to max them before turning our focus to the next group while many other players spread out the leveling to give them more options to choose from for each battle. This left us incredibly weak on our hero depth while being paired unfairly high due to our strong front line. We’re still working on that as a team, but I see us still a couple months from a fair match up if we continue to look at the top 5 instead of top 30 heros.

1 Like

This is exactly what I’m saying. In the war matching calc, that Thorne is considered to be way stronger. I think we can all agree that that makes absolutely no sense.

I actually realize my post should have read that his special DOESN’T make up for that difference. My apologies. Because Thorne sucks.

1 Like

Agreed, that is why they are dropping base power 43 for all 5 star heroes and 30 for 4 star heroes. The four star heroes will “power up” a little faster than five star but hopefully it closes the gap a bit more to help with matching.

I like the “top 5 bottom 5” idea. It might help if the algorithm recognizes hero * level in addition to power, so those with a leveled Layla aren’t treated like those with an unleveled Caedmon, as per your example.

I also think an alliance that has lost the last ten wars in a row shouldn’t be matched against one that has won the last ten. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1 Like

@Petri This is the solution to war match making with clarity and numbers!No need to mess with hero power and team power since it’s basically cosmetic!

Is team power just pure cosmetics, though? I think the screenshot proposition is roughly similar to the system as it has been, with the added disadvantage that it doesn’t account for any special skill leveling or between-ascent leveling.

Based on the new update specifics released today, I think SG is on the right track. I don’t think we need to see the top 30 heroes of opposing alliance members either, as that might not show the whole story. Advanced members might have more than 30 strong heroes, and ultimately, strategy and tactics do play a role in war success). Instead of showing the top 30, my suggestion about factoring in bottom 5 stands.

1 Like

I said as well or put the number the player is worth during match making on the other side away from flags left. Players seeing the numbers will add them up and see how fair it was. Everyone will know with this information on match making get 30 heroes ready to ascend then when ready to work on them ascend. Fully maxed out level 3’s have higher power then a not even touched level 5 hero before so the unleveled level 5 heroes would probably not have a big effect on match making; in your mid range alliances or higher. This has more CLARITY and an actual match making number to each player that can’t be hidden so players won’t think the matchup isn’t still unfair which is the biggest problem of all. You can say all day we fixed the war match making issue we think, but why not prove it by showing us with numbers associated to each defence team? My alliance is a top 200 or better alliance and I felt like the old system the last few months we’ve had all fair enough matchups. No we didn’t win them all but the problem seemed fixed for the higher up alliances. I know the middle range and middle high ranged ones were still having issues because 3 of my friends different alliances had told me.

Bottom five will almost always be Unleveled one star feeders. That is a horrible metric for matchmaking.

Fully leveled 3 star are slightly higher in power now than unleveled 5 star instead of quite a bit higher as was originally discussed even though they are obviously a lot stronger…

I took me two reads to understand, too – @Jjj proposed that the “bottom 5 of the top 30”, i.e. numbers 26-30, get extra weight.

1 Like

Are you sure? My bottom 5 and most in my alliance are maxed 3 and 4* cards…And we are not even in top 1000 alliances.

1 Like

I believe the biggest effect of this change is to more clearly distinguish between alliances like yours and alliance like the ones @TylerDirtyn describes. Prior to the change, you would be matched up against each other and your alliance would crush them.

2 Likes

Preciso de ajuda baixei novsmente o jogo e perdi minha alianca perdi tudo

Exactly what @Kerridoc said, bottom five of top 30 (which I mentioned in my first post) gives a better view of the actual strengths of each team.

How can the bottom 5 heroes give more insight than the bottom 25? Maybe as an added weight but that still sounds like a pretty bad idea and easy to manipulate

It’s surprising to me how much focus the change in hero power is getting and how little is going to the ‘past war performances’ part which I think will be a lot more consequential over time.

1 Like