Alliance Wars Matchmaking (Discussion & Developer Response) MASTER

Lost by 442 points and we had 35 more hits than the other team. I quit wars.

1 Like

It just plain still isn’t fun. It’s not fun when my side wins and it’s not fun when my side loses

1 Like

Most of our wars are pretty balanced. We lost/won by a span of 5-400 points all the wars I can remember but we are ranked always around rank 120-150 with allyscore around 130k. Why do worse ranked alliances have so bad matches from time to time? Is it because alliances are too skewed in power? I think unleveled 3 and 4* heroes are weighted too high in matchmaking. Higher alliances have less unleveled heroes and thus get better matches… maybe…

1 Like

Would someone plz look at our latest match in the allaince wars?? We are The Exiled Knights and they are RFD. We havent won a war since the devs have been tweaking this new matching system. This latest match is the worst!! There is a team score difference of 20k!! That means they are probably taking on 8_9* Titans?? Right? And we’re struggling with 6and 7*. So i think this whole new matching system is a crock of crap. We had better success, won and lost AWs when the matching was based on team score alone. That tells you the team strength, right??? That tells you what they are capable of! Ive got team members that are ready to bail out of this game and it infuriates me, as their leader, that i cant help them. I search for vids…claw through forums looking for any info to help us with tatics and strategy to aid us against these mammoth enemies!! Im a pay to play member…i buy gems and flask packs, to help out my team!! I just dont get where they think these match up are working. If its because some might be harboring higher level heroes?? Team score should still be an indicator of whether those are even helpful. For myself…i cant play my 5* heroes yet as ascension items are too hard to come by. Zeline, for example… 6-mysterious tonics… Ive never seen one(until today) let alone acquiring 6 of them. And guess where i found it. In the summer offer $9.99. Ridiculous!!

1 Like

If you‘re playing the game for >250 days and have only 1 tonic you‘re playing the game super inefficient. There are many random ways to get tonics - but they can avoid you for sure. But rare quests give out nearly 6 tonics a year on a regular basis - no randomness included. So if you don‘t complete them it‘s your own fault :-/

But back to topic. Our enemy is rank 76 we are around 150. we will do our best but expect to get hammered;)

2 Likes

Umm… Really? My fault? Wow ! So i can count on playing a full yr to fully ascend 1 hero??? Again …Ridiculous!

1 Like

No you got me wrong. JUST by completing rare quests you can ascend one 5* of each colour every year → that makes 5 heroes. On top you get mats through all the chests, war, mv, titan…

I just wanted to point out that you‘re playing not efficiently and blame it on the game. Money won‘t buy everything;)

Our situation is nearly identical to what WhenWeCollide laid out. We prepared our alliances well before the rollout to build teams for 6 attacks. It was our depth that carried the day for us. First half would be close…second half we would overtake or draw clear of our opponents.
We got destroyed again over the weekend…all 3 alliances. Including a 5100-1600 prison raping. Again…I invite the devs to take that one and show me what numbers their algorithm is using to base that pairing on. Because from everything that I could see, the other team was far stronger by every measure.

2 Likes

When you get near the top 1% of alliances the matchups are going to be better because the teams are much more even. Most players are nearly maxed out. You cant get more than five 5* heroes on a team. When pretty much everybody has that…there is not going to be much variance from alliance to alliance.

1 Like

Last war was reasonably close, both sides similarly active and less than 400 points difference at the end which is around 1 player score…

This time though we, at 27.8k alliance score, are in prep against 36.3k score alliance. Same number of players, and as the score indicates the level distribution is definitely in their favour. I’m curious to see how it shapes up as anything other than a stomp. I mean, I’m sure the matchmaker sees something suitable and fair here :wink:

We might be close to top 100 but by no means our teams are that strong. Our top player has maybe 8-10 5* maxed and rest 4*. But the majority of us sits on 4* and unfinished 5*. I have to bring unleveled 3 and 4* to war because my bench is not so big and many others in our ally have to do also. What you say only accounts for top 50 alliances maybe. But still is the question why the missmatches occur that frequently. Why aren‘t strong alliances missmatched? The problem must lie in skewed strenghts over the alliances and thus that unleveled 3-5* heroes gain too much weight in matchmaking because they are close to useless

1 Like

I am really tempted to start my own thread but will keep this here and just tag @mhalttu.

The current matchmaking, I believe, is penalizing alliances that have alliances that are diverse in composition that have a few teams with crazy benches and the rest with 4* and 3/70 5* heroes waiting on ascension. We have lost 7 in a row by an average of about 500 points and have been smashed a couple of times as well. We were 13-6 before the new changes and 11 of them were close - like within 300-400 in either direction.

Our newest members have a single strong team of say 3300-3600 and typically very weak bench teams; they can get in 2-3 hits and the rest are ‘cleanup’ teams which incidentally are much less effective with the new healing enemy boost. Our long timers can typically field 4-6 teams of 3300+. These are all approximate data points.

Our alliance leadership is in a really awkward place. Do we leave to have better war balance (unlikely)? Do we continue to suck it up, maybe try some crazy things, etc. (likely)? The reality though is that losing 7 in a row sucks and hurts morale, especially when our overall scores are improving as a team.

I know you are in an impossible situation - and there’s no way to satisfy 100% of the player base, but it sure feels like the new matching is picking on our alliance and probably others like us who aren’t as homogeneous as a top 100 alliance. The alliance is Trem Tran if that helps.

As always - thank you for listening.

7 Likes

Thank you for a well-written and thoughtful post. Have you checked the latest opponent? The match looks quite fair at least based on a quick look. If you think you are sure to lose it, can you elaborate why?

Thanks for the quick reply.

A quick caveat - I didn’t mean to insinuate this current one is unfair. You can probably see more data than I can though (generally speaking). This one does look better on paper, but the current trend has been that we are matched with foreign alliances whose defense teams on paper look fair and then show up with defense teams that are so much higher than our team can deal with.

Here’s the example in our current matchup you can look for if you would like:

The 21st ranked player based on cups (~2000 cups) is fielding a 3365 defense team, which includes Boril centered at 3/60. He/she is level 42. I have a tough time believing their best option is Boril at 3/60 :smile: The reality is likely there’s probably easily a 3800+ team (and our experience has been this team becomes a 4k plus team in war time) there. The 18th ranked player again with 2000 or so cups is level 42 with a 3467 team. Likely the same there.

On average we are finding that we are matched with 6-8 defense teams around or over 4k in these types of matchups. I am the only one who can even field a 4k team in our alliance, out of all of us. We simply aren’t able to compete as an alliance with that and again I fear it’s because our top hitters have strong teams with benches and then we kind of fall off a cliff into teams with maybe 6-8 maxed 4* (so they can field 3300-3500 defense teams in the war) and then their benches just aren’t nearly as developed.

We are trying new things and seeing what happens, and if we can ever win one of these we’ll be elated, and this could simply be that we’ve progressed too far too fast and this is a natural wall we are hitting for a bit. In reality it’s probably a lot of things.

I’m not complaining - though I think you know that. Just trying to add some context to where we are feeling the pain in our alliance. I’m happy to keep you appraised on how the war goes if that is helpful, and if there is any data I can collect please let me know and my alliance will do so.

Thanks!

1 Like

IWe have quit the last war not because we would lose but because we would have buried them, so no fun in playing. we have 6 players with teams above 4k they rest between 2k and 3.5k theyre strongest was 3.4k and the weakest 1.6k

3 Likes

@mhalttu

You match raids based on cups regardless of the fact that people can change their teams however they like, resulting on close to 0 matches between equal players. So raiding in general is hit and miss, unless you are in the top 100 or so.

At the same time you try and match AW on teams strength regardless of the fact that people may not like/participate, resulting in close to 0 matches between equally active and powerful alliances. Unless you are in the top 100.

Which leads to PvP being completely abysmal experience for both single and multiplayer efforts.

You have brackets for single but no brackets for alliances. You incentivize cup dropping by having the daily quest and ruin the single pvp experience and at the same time allow alliances with vastly different rosters to go at each other in a meaningless effort for both sides, all for rewards that are practically nonexistent.

Wouldn’t you agree that it’s time to drink from the fountain of experience that thousands of other games have drank and finally make a proper ladder system for both single and multi PvP? Along with alliance levels that allow you to participate in wars of different brackets.

Get rid if the daily quest and replace it with gather 100 rocks or bananas, make cups linked to watchtower’s % increase to promote interest and give meaning to single PvP.

Make alliance levels that are linked to the last 5 titans downed. Segregate the alliances in AW brackets based on the alliance level. Then invent War Bonds that are given as rewards in wars. Make those bonds collectables for a quest with Ascension materials rewards. Implement MVP feature for the wars.
And then let the alliances battle themselves and establish the brackets and positions themselves rather that you, manually pitting one versus the other.

What do you think?

PS: On a side note I still cannot understand how your algorithms are so bad they haven’t produced a single even AW match for us in the last 10 wars, out of which 8 we were stomped and 2 we stomped, but we were never close.

An alliance needs a leader. I often read on the chat: Waiting for the boss. On war it’s more important than on Titan (where it is mostly for us a question of using flask or not to avoid a titan to escape). We (co-leader, some elders and myself) have defined a strategy for all and we ask every teammate to follow it. I don’t know if some of them are feeling as stupid AI but most of them follow the instructions :slight_smile: As 26 of our 29 members will reach 6 months in the team and 12 joined one year ago, I guess they are qute happy in the alliance.

@mhalttu
The new algorithm take in account the number of player in the alliance :slight_smile: That’s a good thing.
I’m still waiting a leaderboard to see where our oponent/we are ranked. Over the last 5 wars we have cleared other alliance once and strategy (that’s what we guess :)) makes us win by 500/1000 points (we win twice by 1000 points of difference, first was clearly a bad matchmaking I report before, second was a revenge against a team that defeat us few weeks ago by 67 points).
We are almost fighting russian alliances (if you have a look at top 100 and according to some post above and the 24% download in russia that’s quite easy to understand), from what we can see (total power / level of their teams) we have correct matchmaking but a leaderboard would be so nice to know where we are.

I’m still relatively new to the game, but I love it even with all the “frustrations”. The beauty of the game is no one is going to get a significant advantage by throwing money at it unless they throw a lot (and I do mean a lot) of money at it. The game is designed to allow non spenders to become as strong as spenders over time. Nothing happens overnight. The key to growth is regular participation. We are going to take our lumps in AW, against titans and even in raids until we have played long enough to garner strength for our heroes. Why is this better? I’ve played other tap tap games … in virtually all of them, the winners are those who spend the most. I’d rather spend the bulk of my disposable income going on vacation or spoiling my grandkids. So, be patient, be diligent and over time you will be one of the top dogs of the game. In the meantime, be prepared to take a few lumps. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

This is the same thing happening with me. What can I do!?