Alliance Wars Matchmaking (Discussion & Developer Response) MASTER

Welp, this thread proves it! Scrap War! It’s not fair!

Thanks for bringing this injustice to light @Joseyeli

1 Like

It’s not fair the match making isn’t accurate at all. The last 5 out 6 wars we were ridiculously outmatched. They had 14 players over 3000 with their highest being 3900 while we have only 3 players over 3000 and our highest member having 3400. We never had a chance and this has been happening way too often. I think we won 3 wars out of the last 11.

2 Likes

Wait… what!?!

20 characters of shock

2 Likes

Jonah has left social media to spend more time with RL (family, friends, etc).

On topic:

Many complain about the unfairness of war without looking closely at all the components.

First:

Secondly:

The latest war matching mechanic weights wins and losses, meaning if you win several wars over time, you will face harder and harder opponents (and likewise, if your opponents have steadily lost their wars, it is possible for them to be matched against a weaker opponent eventually.)

Compare your war scores. Are they close? Distant? If they are disgustingly mismatched, is that just this war, or repeated over time? If you get, say, three mismatched wars in a row, I’d post the screenshots in a bug report and ask SG to look at it. Otherwise, the system is working as intended.

9 Likes

Very interesting didn’t know that. We barely one the last war that was only because they didn’t use all their flags. They didn’t use 81 attacks

@Jrock143 I’m going to ask you a question, and please try not to take it the wrong way, but…

Is it possible for alliance just isn’t that good?

At, like, attacking? And picking your defense teams? And chemistry in your lineups? And coordinating attacks? And picking targets? And cleanups? Etc.

Or do you think it’s maybe an unfair glitch?

2 Likes

I think its fair that when we lose a war we all ask ourselves these questions!

When the wars were badly mismatched we did ask them and that’s why we knew it was a problem in the match ups.

Since the war scores have been used we’ve found (at least for our alliance) that they are much more balanced.

Now we continue to ask these same questions and can answer them in a more constructive way. We look at how many wars we’ve won and we should expect to face harder opponents. We look at the flags used by both alliances, check to see how our defences held up, etc.

Even when we win we always look at why and hope to recreate that scenario in the next war.

4 Likes

I thought the same as you I questioned members about the strategy they are using at war they have a strong first team but the rest of theirs teams are weak and we are facing teams with power over 2900 and their top 7 are over 3900. We have two teams at 2600 power and two other close to 2900 team power so that’s 24 attack’s that might not do much to their weakest defense

There is only one way they might get match making right. By checking everyone in the alliance best hero’s and team power that will probably create better matchups

It turns out that’s exactly what they do. They look at each player’s 30 best heroes, along with their best troops.

4 Likes

Kayo, I already stated the numbers. Numbers don’t lie right? If we are going against alliances that have 3 times more players that are above 3000 how does that compute to u that our alliance sucks? Obviously that has nothing to do with how our hero’s are set up or how we play. Also keep in mind there is also the field aid advantage to the defense team so can u really expect our members to beat a 3800 defense team with field aid help when our members have a 2800 team as their strongest? Once again the last alliance war team we went against had 14 teams over 3100 and our alliance has 3: that does not equate to fair match making

2 Likes

On topic. Alliance just won the most recent war by nearly 1000 points, lost the one before by 500 or so. Both opponents seemed similar. It happens

1 Like

You can always optout from the AW if you think the AW matchmaking aint good or the AW it self aint worth it.
Trust me … I been there before and enjoying my second month with out AW.

1 Like

How big is your alliance? I’m noticing that a lot of the people experiencing bad matches have fewer than 30 alliance members…

1 Like

28 members in the alliance

War is over and I checked their top 10 were over 4000 when I checked again they lowered their defense wow what a great team they have.

28 pretty close to full. Not sure what to say, really. Also, sounds like your opponent are at least mild cup-droppers.

1 Like

@Jrock143
Let’s play your numbers game, because I don’t think many understand that, while "numbers don’t lie, " numbers also don’t tell the whole story.

You stated team power to be the defining factor. Do you believe Sartana and Horghall to be of equal value? They have the same team power value, do you believe them to be equal?
How about Hel or Aegir?
Grimm and Skittleskull?
Berden and Carver?

What if I gave you Alasie, Zeline, Gravemaker, Aeron, and Joon. Five 5s. Do you believe that an attacking team of five 4 blue stars would not be able to mop the floor with them? 3 Grimms, Kiril, and Boril?

If you had a defense team of 5 Kelile’s and I had Caedmon, Boldtusk, Grimm, Rigard, and Chao - do you believe that to be equal?

Moving on, do you believe G. Jackal at the tank position to be equal to Gormek in the tank position? G. Jackal has higher total power.

Moving on, can you please tell me the next 5 heroes of just one of the 14 over 3,100 that you went against? Pick the strongest person they have, TP-wise, and tell me their next 5. This is useful information because if their next attack on your team is 5 unleveled Alfies, then yeah, that makes a difference.

Moving on, there is a person in my alliance that has 3,975 team power, far surpassing my total power, yet every War they end up with about 10 - 20 points, and I end up 100 - 250? Why is this?
Well, first, they take their 3,975 team and they attack any team the computer guides them to. They take about 3 points off the center, and then they throw their next squad at the same target, another couple points; rinse, wash repeat until they finish their 6 attacks and close out with a respectable 11 points. Someone of equal value on the opposing team picks up 200 points and all of a sudden we have a 189 point swing. Now let’s imagine a few people do this. It adds up quick. It has nothing to do with anything other than they’re bad at attacking, they pick poor targets, they don’t coordinate well, and they won’t wait for a cleanup target.

I’d love to be a fly on the wall in your next War and watch how you guys coordinate, pick your targets, pick your lineups, arrange your different attack teams, etc.

Do people in your alliance ghost tiles for cleanup? If there’s a hole in the center, do you just ram tiles at the defense squad until the fire their specials wiping you out?

I’d be willing to bet money when Rigard sits alone in a corner you have 3 or 4 people in your alliance that throw junk at him before finally taking him out.

The problem with the matchmaking system is that it can’t calculate bad players.

Do my numbers lie?

8 Likes

Very true also I can’t believe I just read all of that great points and knowledge. Thank you for bringing up some good points now as far as rigard I’ve seen it done but it’s been corrected. Now I do notice as far as other teams they have 4 good teams all around meaning from top to bottom. Members are trying to work hard on weak heroes trying to keep up we are very active. But we will focus on weak heroes and to see better ways to set our defense. Do you have any recommendations on a defense?

The very best thing I did recently was to study the player guides for raids. It’s made a world of difference in both my raiding and my war battles.

I’m no longer intimidated by teams with higher power than me, as the raids are teaching me how to take them down.

I’m also learning which tanks to just not bother with - also a valuable lesson!

4 Likes