Alliance Wars Matchmaking (Discussion & Developer Response) MASTER

I saw in youtube, there were changes. Bigger gaps in points and something more. In the past I liked, if you lost a match then next one most likely you will win. Now loosing 3 in row and still getting much stronger opponent. We will fight but no big hopes to win.

No changes to war matchmaking… Not in recent update…

Most recent change has been to extend the war result history from 10 previous wars to 20… And that was a fair while ago.

November or October I think. Long enough that the additional win/ loss record should have populated now.

Which is just going to make dissolving your alliance after a war chest more attractive, not less. So not sure what that was solving.

I do feel that matchmaking has gotten worse though, whether it’s due to us climbing slowly or just self perceived bias, I don’t know.

1 Like

I’m assuming by “better” you mean higher overall TP. And yes this can happen now, but they clearly would be much worse when it comes to war. Losing 10 in a row is pretty hard. The distribution patterns of win/loss shows a vast majority are at + or - 3. Almost none have gone more than +10 or -10. In fact the overall distribution patterns looks almost the same.

1 Like

On Nov 29 2019 they changed the war score to track the most recent 20 instead of 10 to apply the win/loss bonus/penalty.

In sept 18 they adjusted the way hero power is calculated. They also started to take into account the best troops. There has been no change since that time that has had a impact on war matchmaking until the Nov 29th update.

1 Like

On dissolving an alliance I did a project on that.

Not worth it at all…

Yes, and I was impressed at your data gathering!

But some players care about war more than ascension materials. And I see way more complaining (at least in my alliance) about match ups and bad boards, etc during war than otherwise (flip side is, some people talk more during it, which is good IMO). And getting destroyed in war is never good for morale.

I’m fine with losing, but prefer a close match to a blow out — even if we’re the winners of the blow out.

Hello, as you can see I am trying to answer in the language of the forum, please excuse if I make some syntax errors, I am French-speaking. We were finally able to fight teams other than Russians, but the difference between the forces is still very pronounced. we win because my members have accepted a group strategy even against teams 3x more powerful than us, but we still experience a lot of failure. when we have to fight players who have scores from 4500 to 5000 and our best player has a good 3800 it is problematic

@Pestilence @Medusa1 @Pestilence1 any of you the ones we are facing in war tomorrow :thinking:

The last few wars that my alliance has participated in have been very unbalanced. While we have as many as 5 defense teams under 4000 tp our opponents may have 3 and while we have maybe 2 teams over 4200 our opponents will have 3 or 4 “and” while we have 0 teams over 4300 our opponents will have 1 or 2. This has been causing discussions of booting players with insufficient teams or at least making them opt out of wars especially if they don’t have an adequate tank for whichever color we are using. I, myself just recently maxed my first 5* yellow giving me an all 5* defense and that’s after playing the game for almost 18 months. This is causing alliances to put strong restrictions on team member recruitment and pretty much forcing lower powered players into finding an alliance equal to they’re power and with as stingy as the game can be with good heroes and the mats to level them is getting pretty frustrating. I personally have 2 5* yellows and two 5* blues that I have had at 3/60 for months awaiting the mats however I have plenty of mats for a 5* green but have probably spent over 50,000 gems trying to pull one. It really seems like where ever your weakness is, that’s where it stays, unless of course you’re spending hundreds of dollars but even then it’s a crap shoot . Why not have an event quest where one can win a " your choice" epic or legendary hero or mat token and how about making alliance wars a little more equal?

Them…

Us…

Doesn’t seem a great match… please explain… and we’re in with 28 in war…

Btw our member linke soep needs a tonicum

2 are out merc-ing titans for POV after match making and will be back before war. Or they had 2 deserters and will be down 12 flags. My bet is the first option. Not a mismatch until war starts… then come back and let us know…

2 Likes

I am tired of trying to understand whats going on. I don’t get it. We get mismatched every war, not just a little either. We are getting absolutely crushed when they actually play and humiliated when they dont and still win. The last two wars we won the opponent had 27 and 29 flags left between 5 players. They just didn’t play. Here is our current match.
Opponent team power-
Our team power -
Ridiculous. And it can’t be the bench depth either as they are on average player levels higher than us. Their highest player is 47, that’s 4 levels higher than our highest (me) at 43.
I’m tired. Moral is low. I need an explanation. The more we lose the more we get matched with alliances we cannot win against. We don’t want a victory match, we want an even match.

Did you capture the war scores by chance?

1 Like

What is your war score and their war score?

1 Like

9169 for us vs 9210 for them. The war scores don’t make sense to me either. We have been faced with opponents that are on average 600 points higher than us with a lower score than ours. This is the closest match in 3 months and it’s way off. We spend every flag every war and lose by 2k points and we’re good players. We place in top 1 to 5% I’m tournaments and Ive been a leaderboard player multiple times with my little 4144 f2p team.

Honestly that doesn’t look overly out matched to me. Is there any chance that maybe you may need to revisit the war strategy that you are using? Maybe trying a different strategy might reveal better results

1 Like

We usually are paired with alliances with people over us.
I mean. This war we have only 4 people with 4k or more power while they have 9 people with 4k and more .
I cant say if we are going to loose until the end because we attack all together . I only can say that some matchings dont seem to be fair. It usually happens after a row of victories ( we open chest and then two loses against alliances that are obviusly stronger than our alliance)

It can happens that you face a new alliance with powerfull players that have low War score, because they are rising it up. So you get stomped. But it’s not something that will happend back to back multiple times.

You should not value the Lvl of and account for bench depth. A person that has 2 years in the game with a lvl 30 account will destroy a lvl 45 that plays everyday and has 8months of game time.
What I’m trying to say is that the lack of feedback this game has on War events + a players own mental trips can lead you to a bad conclusion.

Your Alliance is probably facing ppl with a stronger base defense because your guys are most cost effective on their flag usage. Meaning you guys average more points than the other guys that have a stronger base defense. So the game sets you against them because they are netting similar points to you
Even thou you come as the underdog by giving the battle field a quick look, your guys are the technically stronger on a “skill basis”. Like I said before, they net more points off of their flag usage than the other joes on the opposite field.

Last 2 points to consider at low lvl wars:
1_Ppl may actually have a WAY stronger offensive power than your alliance, but the game is not able to calculate it correctly because of the ppl that AFK 6 flags in wars. Those ppl may be the powerhouse of their alliance and if you get them to be AFK they probably lose and if they turn up you get 6 of your stronger teams defenses destroyed. Low lvl wars have very little consistensy on War Score, imho.

2_And I dont really have much information on this matter, but there seems to be ppl with High end accounts that could rock the top 10 leaderboards everyday playing in 3+ members alliances. Those guilds have war scores of like 5k (for what I have seen, maybe more maybe less, as I said Im not well informed). And if you get an alliance like that you are going to get DESTROYED, is what I think. This ppl want to farm war chest for ascencion mats, and have no place at such a low end place of the food chain. But it not illegal to abuse it, so that’s that then.

I’m in a low lvl alliance and the consistency of the flag usage is insane. My alliance personally can end a war with 50 to 65 flags. While the other alliance on average has 15 extra flags used and like in your case, stronger base defense teams on a 1x1 comparasion. But off all the 4k’+ I have seen while on this low lvl alliance, not one of them was and actual threat aside from the power of their heroes (their defense have been awfull so far, you could said they are the "worst of the best of the 4k+ defenses). Which goes to show, my first point again: you are fighintg stronger average teams because your alliance is more cost effective with their flag usage/points they make compared to the other joes.

3 Likes

Thanks for that information. Your post is very informative and very helpful indeed .
@Kara0ke