Alliance Wars Matchmaking (Discussion & Developer Response) MASTER

… and if I use 5x Gormek with 1500 health and the enemy use 5x Magni with lower health than my team worth more??

The points are health-based, so if your Gormeks have more health than their Magnis then your team is worth more points.

Thanks ThePhilosopher for answer and pantion.

It’s look like DonQuiote’s War for me.

Not necessarily. What it means is that on the opposing alliance there should be a team with relatively low team power and high point value. Overall, each alliance point total should be roughly the same (around 1500). So if this particular team is under-valued due to low health, there is another team that is over-valued due to high health.

If you want to put in the effort, you can go through all the teams and note how much value they have at the start of the war and concentrate on those, assuming they’re easier.

I gave an example of the data I collect for my alliance’s wars. This is a snapshot (no account names for obvious reasons).

Missing data are special levels of the characters, emblems and troops used. But I believe this would be sufficient to provide an idea as to how those points work out if anyone’s interested.

Interesting, I was not aware of this. Thanks.

It’s how high each team’s health is compared to the rest of their own alliance. No comparison at all to the opponents. You could have a team with lower health worth more than opposing team with higher health if the comparative balances are different.

1 Like

@Zecsko, you are wondering why someone at 4300+ team power is worth less points than a 4000 Team Power team on the opposing team?

It’s because the points for each player is divided of 1500 total points for the team giving higher point values to the strongest players of the alliance. I would wager that your opponent had far more 4200 and 4300+ defenses than your alliance did. That runs their scores lower for their weaker teams, which isn’t really weaker compared to your team. We see that all of the time and saw that in the latest war where we were beaten by 600 points by an alliance with 4000+ defenses outnumbering us 7-5 and number of sub-3000 defenses 1-4. They were favored from top to bottom.

Also when you have 10-15 alliance members, it gets harder to find an opponent to pair you with, so the distributions of powers can be even wider.

Can you speak more on this? Our alliance generally has 10-14 players that “opt-in” for AWs. Wins & losses come in waves just as it does for everyone. However, about 2 -3 wks ago, something changed for us & I’ve yet to figure it out.

We’ve lost every war during that time, with the other alliance sometimes leaving 20 or more flags on the field. I’ve been through our previous data, new member stats, etc. At this point, my brain hurts. :joy: We won the war today, thankfully.

Any suggestions or advice from anyone, would be greatly appreciated. I’m clueless on what I’m missing & how to fix it. I owe our alliance better than this.

Thanks

Gosh, it’s been forever since my alliance participated in wars… so I’m not sure if anything much has changed, but for those who are complaining that their opponents way overpowered them? Yep, yep, yep. Almost every war, our opponents’ defense teams overpowered ours by 200-300 TP on average. Yet somehow we still managed to squeak out several victories (better strategy? greater participation? deeper bench depth? IDK for sure). And of course, every time we won, the next time we had to face an even more ridiculously overpowered opponent. Got mercilessly destroyed a few times by alliances that we had no business whatsoever fighting against… but, that’s what the game gave us. I guess because we had already beaten other tough teams before…

And yeah. We’re a smaller alliance, so power distribution was all over the place. We never actually faced a team that was “on paper” weaker than ours, though; every single time, they outleveled us. I chose to take that as a compliment. It’s not that there weren’t any weaker alliances with the same number of members as ours - there are. A ton, actually. But the war matchmaking system decided that we were too good to face them, so it threw us up against big scary guys instead. I’m proud to say that we held our own and put up a good fight every time. Sometimes the teams that we faced that we thought were going to be total nightmares, barely even showed up to fight, leaving half their flags unused. You just never know. :man_shrugging:

1 Like

“Gosh, it’s been forever since my alliance participated in wars…”

Is there a specific reason your alliance stopped participating in them? Just curious :slightly_smiling_face:

I just embarked on the AW equivalent of cup dropping in as much as that while defense teams cannot be manipulated, it is possible to just throw the entire war; AND the next one and, if required, the one after that too (until I can enter into the competition with a reasonable expectation the the result could go either way). I do not want to resort to the war shuffle as that would be unfair to the initial matches. I also cannot see any compelling reason to make an opponent feel good about victory; they get to walk away diminished as sort of thuggish gangsters.

Combination of complaints about how overpowered our opponents were, everyone needing more time to finish leveling up their rosters, as well as real life issues… I was kind of strict on using all war flags and some members were no longer able to commit to logging in every day, or they were only able to log in during the first half which would leave 3 flags unused… just became too stressful for most.

So yeah. The lopsided matchmaking definitely played a part in it. We agreed to take a break that was meant to be temporary… that was months ago and it doesn’t seem like most of them really miss it… (I kind of do, well mostly I miss the loot, but I’ll admit that it was stressful at times)

1 Like

We did throw an entire war once… not intentionally. My girlfriend (co leader) had a medical emergency (and yeah I’m the leader, so obviously neither one of us were taking part). Must have been a hollow victory for the other team seeing as how we used 0 flags and scored 0 points. But hey, at least they got to fill their war chest quicker.

But you can’t just throw it, you actually have to front up and lose for your war score to be adjusted down. Everyone just has to lose one flag.

Isn’t throwing it the same as losing?

1 Like

Hmm. Well TBH I didn’t even check our war score for that one, I just told the team that we weren’t participating and not to use any flags, and opted us out of wars after that. We scored a zero and nobody got any loot AFAIK. No idea whether or not it impacted our alliance’s war score. :man_shrugging:

A loss will, as I understand it, result in either a reduction or no change in war score.

The current war result will replace the war result from 20 wars ago (used to be 10). If you are replacing a win result from 20 wars ago with a loss then war score drops. If you are replacing a loss with a loss then no change.

Geez, if it goes back 20 wars… I’m thinking we probably won at least 13-14 of our last 20. Means that if we did get back into it, we’d still probably end up facing really strong teams.