Alliance Wars Matchmaking (Discussion & Developer Response) MASTER

Not much for posting on forums, but 3 of the last 4 being overmatched is ridiculous. Half of our alliance is 2300 total power or less, yet the matching this time the opposing team’s lowest player is 3024. There is 6349 difference in trophies alone and 13000 total alliance point difference in this match up, not going to mention how much I’ve spent on this game, but this is getting really ignorant, and making it more frustrating than anything. If the next war is this ridiculously overmatched I’m done.

1 Like

Just had to add my gripe here as well…at -least- 5 wars I’ve experienced recently, we’ve been so overpowered so much its impossible to come close (even when our whole alliance attacks, which never happens). Our current war, the other team has at least half with 2700+ power defense teams and ours has over half with 2300 or less defense teams. It’s no fun at all when you try your best with what you have and get revenge attacked to hell then wind up losing by 1500+ points.

2 Likes

@mhalttu, can you shed some light on why you keep trying to fix this system, and why you do not make a war-score?
I think that would give us all much better match-ups.

I don’t remember the number of times I repeat this :slight_smile:

@mhalttu has previously addressed the second question. The concern is that war scores would be based on the whole of the alliance, but since players move between alliances so frequently it would not accurately measure the existing alliance strength. I would prefer a war-score or ELO based system as well, but this is the currently stated position of SG. I imagine it is also true that setting up such a system is resource intensive for SG devs.

As to your first question, I assume it is rhetorical. They are continually trying to fix it because it is still a problem.

Correct. We may very well consider an ELO based ranking in the future - it wouldn’t require more effort than the current solution. However, we’d still need some other heuristic (like the one we have now) to make sure the ELO ranking isn’t completely off.

One problem is when powerful people change alliances. The other is when the same players form a completely new alliance. No matter how quickly we’d let the rank adapt (which brings its own set of problems), a number of total slaughters (much worse than what we have now) would be pretty much unavoidable without additional safeguards.

3 Likes

Would a combination of both system tried up to now, be a solution? So match based on both strongest heroes and titan score?

@mhalttu & @hazard
I think the player-leaving-an-alliance problem could easily be fixed. For example: if a player leaves an alliance (that had 30 players) he takes 1/30 of the alliance score with him. That get added to the alliance score of the alliance he joins. So if a player from a ‘strong alliance’ leaves and joins a ‘weaker alliance’ the strong one get a lower score and the weak one get a higher score.

This would also solve the problem of players forming a new alliance, they all carry points from their old one. I think the only problem would be if top-players that have never been in an alliance form a new alliance. But then again, they would soon move up in ranks and get worthy opponents.

1 Like

If something does not work, you can keep trying to fix and tweak things. I personally think you should just start over and do it right.

I am in two alliances and this 30-hero system has not given us one good match-up (both alliances) where we had some close wars based on the ‘other types’ of matchmaking. Losing and having your opponents getting about 4 times the points of your alliance is not fun! Winning without breaking a sweat isn’t either.

1 Like

Yes,I know. Tha’s what I don’t find fair. The way they match the temas is very unfair. A new alliance with strong member will always win the way it is right now.

Since 1.12.5 Every Player gives at least 40 Points when cleared. What this means for our alliance:

We have 4 Members below 2000 worth 220 Points together so there is a max of 880 points our opponents can get. Now the question is, how should those newbie players earn those points back if the opponent doesn’t have the same amount of newbies? So you have to get those points back on stronger opponents which is a handicap.

As a newbie friendly alliance you get punished for doing something good and thats discouraging. During AW Alliances with pretty equal Members are heavily favoured. Imo this forces alliances to take out their weakest members so they don’t give free points. I don’t like that cause aw is about group effort and teamwork. I have no idea which way would be more fair nor what to change but wanted to share my oppinion with you.

Sry for my bad english.

3 Likes

@hazard Why would it be based on whole alliance? Each teammate has 6 attacks. AW score is made of individual scores. If each player get his own score then AW score will adjust automatically when people come / left an alliance.

2 Likes

Is this ELO ranking based on results from the alliance? And if it is, how is it going to solve the problem of strong players leaving an alliance?

Can an ELO ranking solve the problem of strong players forming a new alliance?

Will an ELO ranking solve the problem of people in an alliance choosing not to participate in the war? (A war score would!)

We would have been out matched this time but I think their team has a bunch of inactives. We’re winning by over 1k.

I think adding a war participation option and defense team registration before matchmaking would make things more balanced. Have spectator mode be the default, and have players set these two things before every war. This way we’ll know who’s active and match making can be calculated with known defense teams.

1 Like

Or copy 100% rating as personal and then use said rating to obtain average values with his new mates and then find matches.

Have you tried top 2 TROOPS of each color, that’s where the biggest discrepancy lies, and will help with matching veteran teams as well as mid range or noobs.

Is there a way to just opt out of these Alliance Wars? Since this update changed everything my alliance has generally faced alliances with 10k higher score than us. Not one time has it been the reverse where we have even been on the higher side of the alliance score. I’ve been waiting and it has yet to happen. Needless to say we lose. And lose again. And then we lose and guess what? It just ain’t fun any more. I dont want to participate in it and why should I? The loot is awful win or lose. Give me something else like a new map. Please.

1 Like

With how the Alliance Wars matchmaking system currently works… We being still incredibly wrongly paired with very strong, high powered defence teams. No fun to be seeing, so I Opt-in for an Opt-Out support for Alliance Wars. We won’t be wanting to be playing twice a week if this is how It’s going to be… especially for AW loot that sucks. Every since the AW started, and regardless being very good in AW, I always ended up with crap AW loot! Never any Ascension Items!

… so yea… I’m Opt-in for Opt-Out support for AW!

Edit: Opt-Out for Alliance creators, not for alliance members. It should be all in or all out decision.

We no longer require AW participation in our alliance.