Alliance Wars match up

They’re only going 30 deep? Ha! Well, I am 46 heroes deep now including my 11 3/50’s… my flexibility cannot be accounted for!!

That is true but going 30 deep is good enough as starters.
The problem I see is that the strongest 5-7 heroes should have more weight as they will be in the defense and they will be the same for every opponent’s attack surely giving them more weight than single use attackers.

Our alliance has a score of 89,363 and we have been matched against a team of 109,336!!!

1 Like

Yes, but I doubt you are going to trade your top ten strongest for your bottom weakest.

I’m fine with top 30 heroes, as I figure that’s exactly, or close to, what we use in wars, no? :wink:

(I want to know how @Brobb thinks this could be gamed, but if there IS a way, I don’t want to publish it!) Decisions, decisions…

Maybe one day there will be a separate ranking for alliance wars based on Alliance wars performance. Perhaps based on wins and aggregate score over time rather than ‘in the moment’ team roster or titan score assessment which are proxy at best for AW potential.

Maybe even league tables and seasons will result so that like minded and like skilled teams are more often seeing opponents at their level. As annoying as it is to get butchered, walkover wins can’t be much fun either. Our most fun battles so far have been those that went down to the last round of flags where even one hero kill felt great!

However we end up there is almost academic but at least SG are trying to adapt to feedback and find something reasonable. Too many variables for any one metric to work in all cases so let’s give it time to breathe. It’s not as though there are massive prizes for winning to warrant the upset :slight_smile:

I would be interested in seeing the results from those folks who see a mismatch so we can get a sense of how things play out.

2 Likes

I’m hoping that Brobb’s wrong, but I do see how she thinks the system could be gamed, depending on how the top 30 is measured. I think it would limit the alliances doing it to lower than the top tiers, but basically if it happens, or if it can happen in however this implementation is done, they’ll be sitting somewhere in the middle ranges crushing everyone beneath them. Bleh.

We’ll have to see how it goes and get some data before deciding if it works or not. My own first match looks… interesting, in the ‘anomaly present, handle with care’ sense. A solo, level 23 player, with 600 cups, and a 23k titan score leaves me a little curious. And cautious. I only have 12k titan score, and only am that high from using multiple flasks to take down a 3*.

1 Like

Maybe they use more flasks? Hmm…

Their levels are also much higher , troops much stronger and therefore teams much deeper as well. SpawnsHell is matched against a team with 23 people level 29 or above, we have 3. Thats a slaughter waiting to happen.
Time in game ( average level ) is the only way to get fair matchups.

If Top 30 is the matching mechanism, then your alliance would delete heroes 15-30 (the ones that are no use for anything except alliance wars). This would get you, with 15 maxed heroes and 15 weak ones in your top 30, matched against alliances with 30 heroes of only moderate power in their Top 30. Given that your war defence team is disproportionately important, this would just about guarantee victory.

Edit: Just saw @Rook’s request that I keep this to myself. Sorry @Rook! I’ve already outlined this elsewhere, though, so it’s hardly a state secret.

Me - in a heartbeat. Before AW I never bothered levelling heroes 15-30: they were no use for other aspects of the game, so I just kept them around for decoration. If the AW matching mechanism has changed so that having them now penalises me, and they’re still no use for other aspects of the game, why would I keep them? That would be irrational, wouldn’t it?

3 Likes

Ok I understand that it’s based on top 30 hero’s in the alliance. How can this be gamed is if your best 30 is your best 30 and your match against a stronger alliance 30 for 30 but they have an extra 25 5 hero’s unaccounted for. We could be matched against 7dd 30vs30. 91k vs 167k alliance

1 Like

They should make leagues like in sports. 50 alliances per league, each alliance faces all other alliances once per “season”, at the end, the top alliances in each league get a “season” reward, and are promoted to a higher league, while the bottom alliances are relegated to a lower league.

They can also have league tiers, so 1 top-tier league of 50 alliances, 2 2nd tier leagues of 50 alliances, 4 3rd tier leagues, 8 in 4th tier, 16 in 5th tier ,etc.
Promotions and relegations happen between league tiers.

3 Likes

Hi Squall,

thanks for the feedback. I guess we are on the same page. now let me just do another thing. instead of just bothering with claims I need to state in the name of our team that Small giant is doing a damned good job. and thanks for this game! sorry now coming back to the claim :wink:. I’m curious to start war now and give feedback later on. but saying 120 flags is sounding tremendous… 3 flags for a good player… this is what we put in question. they need 1 flag to elimiate one of us we need 3 (or 6) for 1 of them. our team has maybe am acceptable first row, a good 2nd row and than, well… for us it seems to be not realistic to have a 1400 player competing with a 3100 opponent.

1 Like

The new matchmaking system is just not fair anyway…

My alliance score : 58k on trophies and 55k on titan.
We fight 8* titans and one 9* sometimes
Our defence teams : 8 teams < 3300 / 4 teams > 3600 / 18 teams between 3300 and 3600

Ennemis alliance score : 56 k on trophies and 59k on titan.
They probably fight 9* titans…
Their defence teams : 2 teams < 3300 / 11 teams > 3600 / 14 teams between 3300 and 3600

1 Like

Our match-up is simply hilarious. I have no other words for it.

Our alliance:
Score 61.613
Titans 26.792
Cups 34.821
4 defending teams with ABOVE 3000 strength.
28 players in the war (one did not put up a defense, one is to low to join)

Opponent:
Score 94.042
Titans 49.727
Cups 44.315
5 defending teams with UNDER 3000 strength.
29 players in the war (they only have 29 players in their alliance)

How on earth can you call this an improvement over previous matchmaking?

3 Likes

Ok this matchmaking clearly sucks so stop the wars and rethink!!
Also i would like the oppurtunity as Alliance to not participate in wars.

1 Like

I understand the mechanism, but it still seems stupidly desperate to me. People in top 30 alliances usually have more than 15 valuable strong characters they use to mix and match for titans, events, raid attack.

Deleting a bunch of them for the sake of winning a turtle banner (because the glory is no longer a thing - they wouldn’t even be matched with other top alliances, just something that has similar power to them) just sounds like a silly choice.

1 Like

Except it’s not a turtle banner you’re winning - it’s two extra ascension item rolls every week (assuming war loot hasn’t been buffed - let’s see). And if players in top tier alliances are mixing and matching more than 15 heroes for other aspects of the game then they’re being pretty inefficient. Are there really marginal gains to be captured by fielding 4 red heroes plus Wu against green Titans, instead of three red plus Wu and one other? Perhaps, but they’re tiny.

Your glory point is valid, although until a league table or similar is introduced, glory is mostly theoretical. I only know the name of one other alliance in the game - 7DD - and that’s just because I keep reading it in the forum. For now, beating Jim’s Band of Badgers is just as glorious to me as beating Stop the Bus (neither real, as far as I know, but both excellent names).

Yeah I can see that working though 50 is too small supposedly there is 10000 alliances so the pool would have to be 500. Being in an alliance that swings from ranked 1800 (8*)- 2200 (7*), we would be in tier 3 or tier 4 for war…

So @Brobb… are you going to be the first to drop 15 of your spares you’ve been spending time and effort levelling on the chance it will boost your matches in the war?

What if an alliance chooses to do so only to find the Top30 system SG have chosen to implement involves the weighted average idea we discussed earlier? In which case all that the delete 15 strategy would get you is a tough encounter against another team with similar distribution as yours or which may well have top heroes not too far off yours but way more depth in attack.

It’s a big risk for an alliance as a whole to take this decision without actually knowing the underlying mechanic… and would take a long while to recover from it if they find it doesn’t work out as they plan.

And even so… if SG are being naiive on their Top30 matching (I’d like to think not)… they may well decide (on seeing top alliances happily running the exploit you mention) to then change the matching algorithm again. Booooy will a lot of alliance be ever so p*ssed about that! :slight_smile:

Personally I don’t think it’s an exploit that many alliances would seriously consider. I would also hope that SG read our long debates, and in choosing a Top30 type system decided to implement (the sensible) idea of taking strength distribution across the Top30 in to account in the matching … which only makes sense if you want fair matching (even without exploiting).

Let’s see how it turns out.

(P.S. I too prefer the Elo system… but hey, that won’t stop the complaints… it will just change their nature).

1 Like

I absolutely don’t see any alliance demolishing their rosters this way, but just for funsies let’s see here:

Top players usually have most of HotM heroes and they are not gonna destroy these - they often have duplicates hamstered away, if anything. But let’s even discount the duplicates, that leaves:

Hel, Athena, Ares, Musashi, Thoth, Perseus, Alberich
Zeline, Natalya, Aeron, Delilah, Alasie
Gravedigger, Greg (soon enough)

14 heroes, just HotM, no duplicates.

Add to it the 5* from events they’d keep at least one of:

Kestrel, Sargasso, Locke, Panther, Guin, Arthur, Morgan

Owl, Kong
[let’s even assume that these would’ve been eaten, but I seriously doubt it, buffs may come or some fancy use of Kong, for instance, by the stronger titans]

That’s 7 (9) more heroes, assuming no duplicates. We are at 21 already - above the 15.

Then we have the regular crew that most people have at least one of:

Marjana, Sartana, Joon, Magni
Isarnia, Azlar, Khagan, Vivica

+8, we are at 29 at which point any eating makes no sense.

And then we got probably less used and potentially “eatable” (still don’t think they would) 5* heroes like Justice, Domitia, Richard etc. A whole bunch.

Then the titan defense debuffers for other colors that are good to have:
Grimm, Tiburtus, Gormek

The obligatory Bold Tusk, Kiril and Wukong

That’s 6 just from commonly used 4* heroes.

Of course Jackal - 7.

If someone wants to participate in events there’s also Falcon, Lancelot, often Scarlett, Cabin Boy - +4

And more, that I’m not mentioning. Plus heroes from new events.

Axing majority of one’s roster, decimating their chances in the events, removing possible strategizing for stronger titans to win some AW with minimal chance of an ascension item?

Yeah, I’m not seeing it whatsoever.

4 Likes

The problem here is that they didn’t implemented this matchmaking system correctly. I see that from preparation day. They said they match the same numbers of players but is not true after I see some Screenshots here. Let me think that the So called top 30 heroes algorithm is also full of bugs and bad implemented. We are talking here about some developing issues that guys are having. What they say in update notes about matchmaking is not happening in reality. The matchmaking system maybe is good in theory, but someone have do it right and SG is unable do it. But, let’s hope they find a way…