Alliance Wars... Match making - limited to those interested in taking part

But I didn’t mention use of Titan score in the original suggestion. It was introduced by others in subsequent posts.

I agree with your point about Titan score. I think matching on strongest heroes of registered players is really the most flexible approach. People can merc. People can disband and form new alliances, temporary or otherwise… etc. No matter what happens, you get matched with another that is a similar level to your alliance at the moment the matchmaking occurs, and you are then unable to change that team.

Good spot on the potential ‘exploit’ of being able to power-level your heroes as soon as you’re matched… but really, as an alliance, if you can pull that off with any sort of consistency then this sort of commitment and team work probably deserves the win. :slightly_smiling_face:

merci!!! :hugs::hugs::hugs: merci pour ce post qui est exactement ce que je pense :bouquet::rose::bouquet: le matchmaking basé sur les coupes n’est pas représentatif de la puissance réelle d’une alliance. Nous en sommes à la deuxième guerre et deux fois déjà nous sommes tombés contre des alliances qui, très clairement, s’arrangent pour perdre des coupes avant la phase de préparation de manière à avoir une équipe qui paraît moins forte. L’alliance que nous allons combattre maintenant fait encore mieux : si on va voir leur alliance on s’aperçoit que des lvl 40 n’ont que des heros verts et rouges 3* :joy::joy::joy: cela signifie qu’ils cachent leur équipe en défense et on ne sait pas à qui on a à faire.

Dès lors : s’il vous plaît, prenez en compte les héros présents dans une alliance et pas simplement les coupes pour en mesurer la puissance. Ceci éviterait que des alliances n’abaissent leur niveau juste avant :hugs::hugs::hugs:

2 Likes

Credit to @Revelate for originating the ‘Top30’ strength idea and @Dante2377 for advocating it in other threads. I just took it to a new thread because I like the idea, and combined it with my ‘Opt out’ option.

Translation (using Google Translate) for the English speakers who don’t want to have to do the copy/paste themselves :slight_smile:

1 Like

If it would be possible I would like to unscribe my alli for participation in wars. We only want to grow our few heroes we got and smash little titans. Now we are bothered with 2 wars a week. No one likes to loose so we participate but we realy arent interested

1 Like

pareil… nous souhaitons sortir notre alliance des guerres. merci de rendre cela possible, svp. ces guerres démotivent nos membres à jouer

1 Like

Translation:

ike … we want to take out our alliance of wars. thank you for making this possible, please. these wars demotivate our members to play

1 Like

Having the same problem, already one quit the game in my alliance, and 2 more about to. Opt out is essential

2 Likes

We have 3 or 4 of our 29 that don’t hit and set defense teams - they also are weaker teams and get picked on so it would be great to have an ability for them to opt out or me to opt them out. They still hit titans so I don’t want them out entirely.

But even setting a defense helps you even if they don’t atta k
Besides if they did 1 attack without caring aboutvresults, they get loot

Well, how about that individual opt out button?

So players who do not wish to participate in AW can opt out BEFORE the matchmaking is made?

So they do not participate - without harming their alliance in the process? Because the matchmaking takes only the participating players into account?

To my mind, that would be a godsent.

How about it?

edit:
remember: good titan hitters are not necessarily good fighters in AW.

How do you remove someone’s contribution to titan score? Your idea may have helped when alliance score was used, but withntitan score, i don’t think it does

I have no idea.
But why should my alliance get penalized just because I, for example, am a good hitter on the titan?

Let me out of those wars. Please!
And without harming my alliance. Please!

Give yourself some credit. Go in and wipe out 6 tanks. It doesn’t take much to positively impact wars

1 Like

@Talisax
Dear, I dropped another game. At a very high level. After almost four years of playing.

Because I got sick and tired of the wars that they introduced. And that all the middle aged and mature ladies did not appreciate. At all. And we were the high levels. We rose to high level by helping other players. Not by destroying them in some competition.

All I ask is to play in peace.
And not to have to repeat the same thing that made me drop that other game. Because I was sick and tired of it.

Is that really too much to ask?

Is it really to much to ask - for a 57-year-old lady - to avoid participating in some unpleasant competition, without harming her alliance by opting out?

Is it too much to ask to want to play in peace?

Edit:
If these wars had been a part of the game in August of last year, when I started playing, I never would have started playing this game. Never. Because that is why I dropped the other game. And I most certainly do not want this stuff again.

So, SG, please, let those players opt out who want to opt out. Please!

1 Like

@AnjaValkyrie why do you feel compelled to be a top hitter in the wars? I am one of the top hitters on the titan most of the time in my alliance. But not so in the wars. The reason for this is - I see the wars as a team effort. Our alliance is a mix of various team strengths - we have member from TS 2000-4000, whereas our opponents have had a somewhat more homogenous strength. So I will soften up opponent’s teams, so the weaker members of my alliance can go in and finish them off. It gives them a great feeling of achievement - instead of being overwhelmed at having to fight a team much stronger than they are. The points for the alliance are achieved and the members feel good about working together. I also emphasis the point that it makes no difference whether we win or lose - we just give it our best shot.

But you have the right to see the wars in whichever way you choose, of course. And since you cannot find your peace with them - I hope that SG will find a way to let you opt out.

P.S. I am also a mature lady… actually, I’m even older than you…:wink:

@Witch

Oh, I am not a top hitter in the wars. Our alliance has great hitters for the wars, so there is no pressure on me to perform. Thankfully.

And I have also done exactly that … weakened opponents for our other players to move in for the kill.

But do I really have to do this four times a week from now on? Like a job, but without the pay? Just like in that game that I dropped? Out of the frying pan, and into the fire?

I simply do not enjoy the wars, and I would very much appreciate the opportunity to opt out - before matchmaking - so that I could play in peace, without harming my alliance by not participating.

And I really do not think that this is too much to ask.

They don’t have to remove contribution to titan score. If they really wish to continue using titan score for a matchmaking factor - they just need to add participant quantity into the equation.

If a 30 person alliance has 24 that want to participate in the wars, there’s no reason that they can’t be matched against an alliance of similar titan score with 22 to 27 members (or participants).

Then they wouldn’t have to rebalance the scoring either. It also wouldn’t negatively impact the hardcore players either because they’re all in to begin with.

I see so many people defending the broken mechanics and just saying everyone needs to just try harder - why can’t y’all accept there are just simple solutions to these problems? There’s really no need to force people to play at all but that’s just the attitude experienced players seem to take on the matter…

Let people choose not to do PvP already!

2 Likes

@NitrousOxide

Thank you!
Thank you very much!

A game is a voluntary activity that is supposed to be fun and … well … games.
Not a job where you have to clench your teeth and try hard to master some thing that you really do not care about. But you have to do it because you get paid for it. So you clench your teeth and get to work because you have to pay your bills.

Is it really too much to ask to play a game in peace?

I am not getting paid for this. On the contrary.
So all I ask is to please let me play in peace. Without harming my alliance in the process.

Is that really too much to ask?

(In the nicest way possible because I really like your contributions)
Basically this question boils down to “Given that we decide to keep what is fundamentally a flawed mechanic for matchmaking, how can we, in that context, allow people to opt out without screwing up the mechanic?”

But the problem IS the matchmaking mechanic. It doesn’t allow people to opt out, and suffers from the added problem that an alliance’s performance in some other totally unrelated aspect of the game has no bearing on how they will perform in AW. (Edit: I admit it’s an improvement to full Alliance score matching, which really multiplies the issues due to its ease of manipulation.).

I think the original post lays out quite nicely how you can match-make in a fair way while allowing people to opt out (but of course I’m biased :wink: )… and if that idea isn’t nice (because use of Top30 in strength has had some valid arguments against it) then consider my alternative linked below which also has provision to allow people to opt out. (Odd that it’s only received 1 like given the strength of feeling about the current matchmaking system. Guess it won’t take off then… :expressionless: )

1 Like

Little_Infinity,

I have some mixed feelings about this thread. Although I recognize mismatches due to uneven numbers of members who are willing participants in alliance wars to be a problem, I am still unsure whether or not a developer solution is required to address this issue. Let me try and explain my thoughts below, from the perspective of 3 types of “mismatches” that I have heard of since titan score was introduced as a matchmaking criteria:

1. Mismatches due to Membership Distaste of AW. If an alliance really does care about wars, they would also surely care enough about the QUALITY of participation from its members as opposed to the number of participating members. The bottom line is that no alliance expecting to be competitive with wars will be exactly pleased that some 10 or so of their 30 members did participate, but only used 1 flag to score 3 points each because those 10 members simply cannot bring themselves to use more flags on an endeavor they find not very fun and frustrating to them. This is basically where I am thinking that alliances that care about the wars should make up their mind quickly and simply specify that to their current members and their future recruits. Members who are unwilling to participate in the wars can just as easily leave and find another alliance to join focused on just killing titans, or make one of their own that is that way (there are already an endless amount of alliances in the AR channel and on the forums looking for recruits, so that really shouldn’t be a problem). In short, I think mismatches in full alliances due to the amount and quality of participation in wars should be an issue resolved independently by each alliance and does not require developer action. (And no, under the current system of titan score matchmaking, opt-out is not an option for the reasons mentioned by Talisax and others and brought to light in your reply to them)

2. Mismatches due to Uneven Membership Sizes. On the other hand, I do agree with @ZapperCat from a different thread that mismatches due to actual reduced membership size (15 player alliance vs a 30 player alliance), as opposed to reduced quantity and quality of participation from these alliances members is an issue that needs developer intervention if matchmaking will continue to be based on titan score. Assuming both alliances in question are active and 100% pro-war, it isn’t difficult to see that the 30 member alliance has more opportunities to attack the 15 member alliance, giving it an unfair advantage that drastically outweighs the supposed compensatory increased defense team strengths of the 15 member alliance necessitated by the current matchmaking system (they were both fighting around the same level titans, so the 15 member group must have quite a few members with better teams than the 30 member alliance). In this case, alliance war matches should definitely be modified so that alliances with the exact same number of members AND the same titan score get matched together. This solution is a lot more of a simple way to address this issue than reinventing the wheel with an Elo System.

3. Mismatches due to Membership Activity Disparities. I have heard it mentioned on a thread by @DEW that mismatches have occurred in such a way that has lead to not only discrepancies in membership size, but also in membership activity (days inactive). Mismatches such as these are definitely more common in lower ranked alliances than they are in higher ranked alliances. The main complaint here that I have been hearing is that being in a growing active alliance and having some 85% (I don’t know the exact proportion of inactive alliances fighting low level titans, but I think it must be a lot) or more crushing wins against inactive alliances does not make for an enjoyable alliance war experience. In this case, I don’t think matchmaking needs to be fixed as much as the mechanics of alliance creation does (which has already been discussed intensively in other threads). The abundance of inactive alliances, or alliances run by level 4 players who aren’t likely to continue to commit to this game, makes alliance recruitment a very difficult thing at higher levels due to depletion of the recruitment pool, overloads the servers, and now is leading to these types of alliance war mismatches. I do think the alliance creation problem needs to be addressed seeing that it affects several areas of the game, but there are already several threads discussing it, so no point really discussing it further.

So, in short, a lot of what proceeds next is highly dependent on whether or not titan score is good enough of a matchmaking metric for alliance wars. I have outlined above some possible solutions (developer and player generated alike) that can help address some of the “mismatches” that we are continuing to see while not removing titan score as the current matchmaking metric. Let me know your thoughts on each of these. P.S., none of this is to say that I don’t think that the Elo system you mentioned is not a good idea, just that I think that other solutions will be just as, if not, more effective without requiring intense programming on the developers’ sides (Hopefully they are reading this…).

1 Like