ALLIANCE WARS....... Frustrating, Boring & definately unrewarding

Wow, the complaining… First off, as it’s been said over and over, if you don’t like Alliance War, don’t participate. No one is forcing you. If you’re in an alliance that doesn’t want to participate, and you do, then go to another alliance that does. This is not rocket science!

Personally, I enjoyed it, and the majority of my alliance did too. I wasn’t overwhelmed by the “prizes” I received, but I wasn’t really doing it for prizes, so I wasn’t bothered by them. I think the developers did a great job putting it all together, I’m guessing it took quite a bit of work and expense. I’ve seen a lot of games like this where the developers just sit back and make money, never updating, never adding new things, so kudos to the Empires and Puzzles developers for actually caring about the game and putting some effort into making it better.

You can’t please everyone, you could go around handing out free twenty dollar bills all day, and eventually someone would complain that their bill was ripped, or it wasn’t enough. Some of you remind me of the people who complain about certain TV shows and try to have them taken off TV, instead of just turning the channel. Lighten up!

edited for spelling…

7 Likes

Exactly! And this is what’s fun for me.

I raid at the top levels of this game, and frankly it can get a little repetitive. I’ve got the team to beat certain defenses, and I know which one I don’t have a good chance to beat.

With Wars I may be seeing familiar defenses but I have to think of different hero combos to beat them. I’ve been busily leveling up a bunch of 4* that had been languishing.

Good for the game. Great changes released this afternoon.

6 Likes

@r4dioh3ad

War is the only future?
BS

I used to play an online game. Nice game with focus on cooperation. Had a great time.

Then the devs introduced guilds and guild battles. Meh … yeah, then we did that too. Got tired of that crap pretty quickly. But yeah, we still had the community, the cooperation, the fun. And did those guild battles going through the motions.

Then the devs priced the most fun activity (saving critical monster battles) out of the reach of ordinary people. Meh … stayed a while, still, for the people.

Then the devs put all the stress on those stupid guild battles and started to abolish - or price out of people’s reach - every activity that had been fun and enjoyable.

I left. At level 1992. After approx. 4 years of playing almost daily. Together with most other high level players. We got sick of that crap.

The game is now on its last legs.

If you do not believe me, try to find the game Castle Age.

If the developers at SG intend to make the same mistake and drive off players in droves, they should check the downfall of that other game first. My advice.

But, actually, I think that the developers at SG are not stupid. And that they know exactly which side their bread is buttered on.

They read here in the forum. And they know that not all - moneyed - players value competition.

If - and I say if - this competition stuff becomes more and more important, then those like me will leave the game. Like the high levels in Castle Age did. Taking our wallets with us.

edit:
That is not a threat. That is a statement.

edit 2:
There are not only testosterone-filled young men playing this game. There are also middle aged people, mature people - and ladies.

Now who do you think has the money?
The 20-year-olds? Think again.
Drive off the mature customers, and you drive off the money.
I have seen it happen before.
And, in that other game, most of us cut down on spending long before we left the game.

6 Likes

Thinking about which heroes to use when is a fantastic strategic puzzle for me, as it is for you @Kerridoc. I’m the only player in my alliance with a 30+ hero bench, so I’m alone at the moment in having this puzzle. Fortunately, several mid-power members have already stated their plans to start leveling heroes for the 2nd half attacks.

I understand that not every E&P player is eager for this type of gaming, but based on SG’s stated long-term development goals (serious/casual mobile gaming), Alliance Wars is an element with far more marketability to future players.

Maybe the match-up algorithm should be run after an alliance has set its defense teams. Those who want to participate will have teams while those who don’t like AW will stand down. The match-up to another alliance would be made during a 15 minute period after all alliance defenses are set. That idea, without knowing anything about how opponents are matched currently, should be taken with a BIG grain of salt as it could open another, more annoying can of worms.

1 Like

So are you saying that if I had a 5* team but did not want to take the “evolutionary steps” and said I’m not interested in participating in the alliance wars & thought it was a load of rubbish, would that mean I get exiled as well?

1 Like

If it’s of interest, I’ve posted a poll dealing with the Revenge concept in the wars. Have a look and register your vote…

1 Like

Little i,
the title needs an edit… Alliance “WALLS”.

1 Like

Complaining about something shows interest & a desire for improvement,
non complaining means you don’t really give a ***** what happens.

Not that I’m a fan of Bill Gates, but sometimes he pulls a rabbit out of his hat. Did he not say.

“YOUR MOST UNHAPPY CUSTOMERS
ARE YOUR GREATEST SOURCE OF LEARNING”.

3 Likes

Yeah, no it doesn’t. What, did you read that in a fortune cookie? I’d argue with you, but what’s the point, you’ll just throw some other crap at me like the gem of how these people are interested and desire improvement. They are idiots who don’t know what they want, and can’t be happy with a free game that is given to them, freely. Oh, wait, it’s a bad thing because other people can pay real money and get better things in the game. Yeah, I think that’s so the developers can make money. But, let’s all complain about it. No matter what the developers do, what improvements they make, they could somehow make this the best game ever in game history, and people would still complain about it. I have downloaded several games onto my phone, tried them out, and didn’t like them for one reason or another. You’ll never believe what I did: I uninstalled them, and forgot about them. Guess I should have found the forum for each of those games and wasted my time complaining about them. Stupid me, I deleted them and found other games to try. Gee, I’m such an idiot, I’m doing it wrong!

Gramps,
Not very nice to call the opposing view “Idiots who don’t know what they want.”

Without the thunder, lightning & the rain, there would be no growth.

Already the Dev’s have listened to the complaints coming in from the player base & have now introduced an update. An update which improves the quality of the game.
If I didn’t care about the Empires & Puzzles game,
I would have done what you did with the others… just delete it, & forget about it.

5 Likes

That’s right , the rewards need to be worth the trouble or it’s just a waist of time.

5 Likes

The candy is off & past it’s use by date. And YES ! they should be raspberry not strawberry.

:sweat_smile: Thanks @Zero2Hero
I posted at about 02h30 in the morning my time then went to bed. Thankfully @Paulon edited my title to correct it, for which I’m grateful. (Now that is a correct use of the power to edit others’ titles).

1 Like

That’s my opinion about the way the game is going. If you like killing titans is no problem. You can do it forever. Personally I like wars because involve more strategy and skill. And is just the beginning. This is the priority of the devs also and we are hoping get better with time. If you are in a alliance that like wars probably you will be exiled, but I think is not the case for you.

1 Like

How do you match up teams in wars. Recently our alliance was matched up with a team 10,000 points above us. I consider this a far cry from being evenly matched. If this is the case then our alliance like I’m sure others will just pull out of the wars altogether

1 Like

The problem with AW is that it’s mostly directed at & made for alliances with players who communicate with each other. Many people join alliances just to hit titans & get loot from it, they don’t see their alliances as a community. If there is none or little connection between players in an alliance, there is no option to plan the strategy.

Yes, you get loot even if you lose the war but I don’t see why there shouldn’t be an opt out. AW should be between players/alliances that want to participate. I don’t see the reason why someone should get loot for defeating someone who doesn’t even want to participate in wars. If an active, pro-war alliance is lucky it can be matched with an alliance that doesn’t care about the war at all (players don’t put up the defense team or put 1* hero as their defense). That’s an easy win, even if it’s by default - I think there is an option to “win” when the alliance you’re matched with doesn’t take any action at all and the loot is different, can’t remember what it’s called.

You don’t like raids - you don’t participate (no one gets loot if you don’t participate, maybe sometimes someone raids you and gets your food/iron but having a low level watchtower lowers the possibility of that)
You don’t like beating titans - you don’t join alliances (no one gets loot bc you’re not participating)
You don’t like Challenge Events/Rare Quests - you don’t participate and no one gets loot because of that

AW discussion is really heated and it scares me a little :joy: I don’t like wars, I mostly randomize my attack teams, sometimes I don’t participate at all.

3 Likes

They should add a “Sign peace treaty” button. When both parties agree, war is canceled and both parties get Arcane scripts and 1 ham. :laughing::rofl::joy::wink:

4 Likes

Good question @OTR .

Two wars ago we were matched up with a team 10,000 points below us (erm… if the team you mention was us … were you up against Dutch Dragonslayers?). I agree that matchup didn’t look every even. And because we delivered and used our flags, we won quite easily. Too easily for my taste.

I’d be thinking there’s plenty of 30ish member alliances with 100k ish points, so why this match up? Did we have the “leftover” spot after all the other more even match ups were done? Or did we have a “springtide” match up?

“Springtide” match up say what?!? Let me explain:

Our alliance doesn’t do any tricks regarding points, no cup dropping and all. Our points fluctuate naturally between 97,000 and 104,000 points.

Assume our opponent also is like that, no cup dropping, but fluctuates naturally between 88,000 and 95,000 points.

Now we could have a “springtide” match up, with us at 97.000 points and they at 95.000 points at the point of matching. That may -look- like a fair match, but it actually is a lot less fair than it looks, with average points being 100,500 points versus 91,500 points.

So indeed, how’s the matchmaking done? Does the matchmaking algorithm do anything to prevent “springtide” match ups?

Match up is based of titan score now, not alliance score.

@Bertus
Totally off-topic, but Dutch Dragonslayers was my first alliance :slight_smile: , I don’t think you were in it then (if your name isn’t different in game), but please do send my regards to Gijs and anyone who was there from the beginning.

1 Like

Perhaps SG designed AW to encourage more communication and community within alliances? You are treating the lack of communication as a fixed fact; I think people are not very communicative because there’s not a lot of need for it without AW.

But SG correctly understands that what holds players in the game and encourages them to excel is precisely the existence of strong alliances. Social science research points to a tribe size of about thirty as optimal, so it’s not a surprise that that is the number SG chose. These bonds between allies are a core part of the company’s business model, and AW has been cleverly designed to strengthen those bonds.

5 Likes