Alliance War Experiences and Feedback

My alliance, Fourhorsemen, a half seasoned/half newby player group with 26 members, just finished its first war. Nineteen members participated, & we were matched against a Russian alliance that marshaled 24 participants.

We’re not a super chatty alliance - about 1/3 of us, including the strongest players, use chat on a daily basis, so I was concerned about this during our first action. Surprisingly, the usually silent members followed the targeting suggestions the top players made during the second half of the war, so the coordination issue didn’t materialize.

Despite the disadvantage in numbers, Fourhorsemen came away with a victory by 550 points. Everyone seemed to enjoy the war, & no one had major complaints about the format or mechanics. Here’s some general observations from our experience.

Revenge Bar: the effects were noticed immediately, but after rounds one & two, everyone just dealt with it. IMO, the revised version installed for our war isn’t a game-breaker, but just something we had to account for in our planning.

Team Targeting: I’m the strongest member, & I targeted the opponent’s strongest player for my first attack & was ignominiously trounced. :angry: During the 2nd half, my 3600 power defense team was wiped out by that same player, so I can’t say that we or our opponents bullied only the weakest teams. That said, we did selectively analyze the 2nd, 3rd, & 4th rank teams to decide targeting priorities.

Overall, our mix of mid- & low level targets allowed us to consistently score decent point totals from initial and clean-up attacks. By the halfway point, we had eliminated nearly half of their teams including a couple of their stronger ones. The way we looked at it, our opponents prioritized our weak teams, but since we fielded fewer, they couldn’t gain as many bonus points as we could. It’s one of those “God giveth, & God taketh away” situations. Personally, I’m fine with this because it’s just a strategy aspect of AW that every alliance can work with given experience.

War Flags: We got the jump on the war because of time zones, so most of our members launched their 3 attacks within the first 30 minutes. As the #2 ranked member posted in chat, having to wait 12 hours before the next 3 flags were issued took a little wind out of the excitement sails. This is the only aspect of AW for which I’ll offer a proposal. After a player uses their first 3 flags, schedule the next one 6 hours later with the subsequent flags coming at 4 hour intervals. This provides an interesting strategy twist: does an alliance want to use each flag immediately, or will there be a greater advantage from holding off until closer to the end of the war. But the status quo would still work for us during this initial play phase.

Rewards: One each of five assorted mats/gems was underwhelming, to say the least. I don’t expect ascension items after each war, but could we get like 5 midnight roots or metal ores instead of one? I was the overall top scorer, & I would have liked to have received a reward that acknowledged that achievement. It’s not a total buzz-kill (well, yeah it is, really), but I can foresee a waning of enthusiasm from my alliance mates presented with a diet of paltry rewards war after war when we’re the victors.

Final takeaway: Alliance Wars was a challenging, fun event that will snag my comrades interest over the next few weeks. Thanks SG for your efforts. Keep tweaking AW based on what the player community suggests & I think you’ll have a game component that becomes a staple of the E&P experience like Titans and challenge events.

2 Likes

I would prefer not to mess with the flags. Ok maybe just give them all at the start. But atleast not anything fancy with flag respawns, there’s enough things to think of as it is right now.
There reason why I’m ok with the flags now is that atleast it’s the same as with all the other flags, you have to wait for them.

Agreed - there’s a lot of non-ascension items rewards that could make it a nice pot sweetener, like would it kill them to give the winners 250,000 hams. or a few nuggets/dragon bones for crafting?

10 Likes

All the flags at the start would also provide some strategic problems for an alliance to address. If nearly everyone uses all their flags, an alliance could be faced with having an opponent carefully pick off their defense teams & maximizing bonus scores while being unable to respond. I’d go for that, & as you said, it would be a simpler mechanic.

You’re really hungry for those hams, aren’t you, @Dante2377? Honestly, I’d also be thrilled for a wagon load of hams to level up heroes for the next war.

2 Likes

Yes it could be a pitfall, but atleast much more manageable/trackable one than flags respawnin at different times. And like I said, would prefer that things stay the way they are now (with flags)

2 Likes

Yes. most of what I want to do gets constrained by ham (heroes, troops, crafting, research, leveling mines for more crafting, leveling watchtower).

3 Likes

Don’t have a lot on your plate, I see. :wink:

At one point today I had 89 hams. Not 89k, just 89. All farms at 20, tower at 15. Raiding isn’t bringing in the ham income it used to—people are on much more between wars and the event.

2 Likes

Yeah, I think I’m going to be in that situation soon. I’ve been trying to level extra heroes for AW. I don’t get much from my level 3 watchtower. I haven’t raised it because I want any victorious opponent to walk away feeling slightly disgruntled with paltry spoils, lol.

2 Likes

@Petri everybody talking about Prizes. how about 150 gems for the winning Alliance and 50 for the losing alliance for each member. that will make them stop complaining about the war and the revenge bar. What can those additional prize do? make them participate in the war and get gems so they will try to summon and get a good/bad summon and will incentivize them to maybe buy gems and try to summon more. Small Giant Games will be rolling in Dough with more gems prize incentives. and fix the summon rate in every other game after a bad summon the rates of pulling a 5* increases.: learn from other great mobile games.

3 Likes

I’d rather they did that on diamond chests and kill cup dropping basically once and for all, but it’s a nice incentive for winning a war as well as right now not many people are seeing the loot as being worthwhile at all for something that only happens twice a week.

5 Likes

Is there anything in place to prevent or de-incentivize alliances from tanking their raid scores to get easier opponents in the alliance wars?

My alliance has decided that the tiered raid chest rewards don’t actually mean anything and has decided to tank after talking to another high ranking alliance who has found success in doing the same. If this is something that a lot of alliances decide to do, it would ruin the entire experience.

Perhaps the alliance war rewards for both the winners and losers needs to be tiered based upon your alliance score?
The argument against it might be that it would be unfair for weaker alliances, but it’s no different than the titan rewards or the raid chest rewards.

Has anyone else encountered alliances that obviously tanked for the war?

Yes, lots of people have notice. And the only way is to NOT use alliance score.

Use either just the titan portion or something more sophisticated that’s been advocated in other threads (aggregate hero power of top 30 heroes from each member of alliance).

Don’t agree that you need a revenge bar to make Alliance war a team effort. There is nothing in what I posted that suggests that my desire is to remove the team work effort or in any way make it ‘easier’ for the attacker.

Making it need a team effort to take down individual teams really just boils down to balance of defender vs attacker. If you give the defending team sufficient boost it would require team-work to take down individual teams. There are ways you can boost the defending team that doesn’t involve a Deus Ex Machina type intervention that arbitrarily reduces the attacking team without any way to defend against it.

What I don’t like about the revenge aspect is that it limits your strategic choices (or more directs your strategic choices down a more limited path) and makes your encounter artificially shorter, thereby reducing the fun.

I can see the reasoning for it to be there, but I feel it’s too much of an influence as it’s currently implemented.
I posted in the other thread an idea to maybe vary the effect or extent of the revenge bar to depend on the discrepancy between defending and attacking team power… I’d prefer that to the current system. It means you need to make smarter choices in your defence team. If you just field healers and defense buffers, you’d be vulnerable to players closer to your team’s power as revenge would not be the dominating damage dealer in the encounter. This would make things more interesting and boost the team-play aspect.

Whatever. Will still play with the revenge bar there, but really I think it would play better without it and rather look at less of a ham-fisted way of imposing a challenge. If not remove it entirely, at least tweak to make it more background annoyance than the foreground dominating aspect it is now.

3 Likes

Just posted another poll for the Revenge concept - check it out and register your vote.

3 Likes

Awesome! Tried getting teammates to piggy back an attack with me during our first war. They didn’t quite understand. Especially second half bench sitters. You get enough nerds together they can still whip a bully good! Love AW

1 Like

Glad to see people stirring the pot, whether I agree with you or not. I checked out your poll and thought there just wasn’t enough choices. Devs are incredibly smart people who can’t be limited so easily. It’s awesome to watch the changes they make and how interesting they have kept the game. The forum is where they can farm ideas if they so choose but I think it’s early to call an action as drastic as eliminating. Watch and tweak. They’ve done it already. Actually thought the revenge bar was neat, maybe harsh when you’re down to 2* heroes but hey, another thing to farm!

Why did we need a second poll?

The number of one-shot one-kills when fighting an equivalent alliance is still pretty frequent in the first two flags and that will increase over time as people develop more heroes.

No revenge bar would make it 4 one shot one kills if not more today, and yes that absolutely reduces teamwork requirements and therefore socialization, and imo therefore sucks.

Why make AW easy mode and devolve it back into the individual affair that is the rest of the game? There’s already content for that, leave something for those of us that want an alliance to mean something more than show up and collect loot, and that’s AW these days.

4 Likes

I think the concept of AW is wrong. Currently it is always better to attack, even if it is suicidal. This severely limits the strategy.

From my point of view every battle should give points to the attacker and the defender (
based on life drawn to the opponent). This would make each player have to think if it is better to attack or not and reward defensive teams that hold one attack after another.

Of course, with this system the revenge bar would no longer be necessary