My alliance was discussing possible improvements, and wanting some way to help our alliance mates. We realized that this had to be done in such a way as to (1) not unbalance the game, (2) not be susceptible to alt account abuse and (3) not cut significantly into the game’s revenue stream. (The devs like to eat, too). This idea (and “Infrastructure work”, which I will post later) was the result.
- Every alliance gets a “hall” (a semi-static image) that is publicly viewable. Initially, this hall looks like a generic medieval throne room.
- Alliance members may donate resources in order to purchase “upgrades” for the hall. (Bigger throne, chandelier, wall tapestries, titan’s head trophy, things of that nature.) Upgrades may be “tiered” (i.e. “level 4 titan’s head”), may unlock other upgrades, or both.
- Resources can be any game resource – food, iron, arrows, scrolls, potions, banners, recruits, perhaps even troops and/or Heroes. Every upgrade (or every tier of an upgrade) should require a different mix: food and iron and cheap potions/arrows for the low tiers, progressively better “stuff” at higher tiers.
- Upgrades start at “OMGexpensive” and go up from there. They can go a long way up from there. The idea is to have alliance members work together towards a common goal, and to make alt abuse prohibitively time consuming.
(Yes, yes, I see you going “why should we bother?”. I’m getting there.)
- Each upgrade grants a small but permanent bonus to alliance members – as long as they’re in the alliance, of course. For example: +1% to food production, or +2% to iron production, or -1% to training time, or +0.005% chance to get a Rare in the Daily Summon, or -2% to Alliance Energy timer… you get the idea. (Numbers are examples only, they will obviously need to be balanced.) Each upgrade type grants a different bonus, which gets larger with every tier.
- Leaders should be able to indicate which upgrade they want members to focus on, but should not be able to “lock” it (as that would potentially block low-level members from contributing).
The idea here is to give members a way to permanently improve their alliance and to work towards a common goal. This would ALSO give alliances “bragging rights” and a way to distinguish themselves when recruiting from every other alliance out there. (Funky font colors only get you so far.)