Alliance hopping

As the alliance I belong to has gotten stronger, we have ran into other alliances in wars with the majority of members just recently joining (25 out of 30). It seems they are involved in multiple alliances, or have multiple alliances, while jumping back and forth. This is becoming more and more common as we rise in alliance strength. Some members have become frustrated and have literally quit the game all together. I’m guessing the benefit to this is manipulating war score and/or to open more chests quicker. There needs to be a fix for this

4 Likes

We.encountered this as well! I cant figure out what it means. How would anyone benefit from hopping like that? There are penalties for not participating the whole time.
Anyone knows what’s going on?

1 Like

People quit over fighting alliances with short term members? Wow…

Ok… you’re matched up based on your top 30 heroes and top troops. That’s it. Unless you’re on a win streak or a losing streak, wars are going to be pretty even.

3 Likes

There has been a long discussion on this on another thread, but the only possible advantage would be if they let a alliance with a few alts lose 5 wars when they are winning 5 wars elsewhere and then they swap back to the one with 5 losses and therefore get rid of the 5 win penalty and get a 5 loss handicap. This is not a major advantage for any alliance at or near the 30 member limit. IMO they are wasting their time if this is what they are doing.

Also imo it is far more likely that they were off helping other alliances with titans or the like, and just came home for war. This is not uncommon at all, especially with a family of alliances where the strong alliances may be finishing off titans quickly and the weaker alliances maybe needing help.

5 Likes

It doesn’t benefit. The rewards are in the chest, not the win. The chest doesn’t travel with players, it stays with an alliance. You get a participation % of your contribution to the chest. If it’s low, there’s nothing in the chest for you.

People will look for any excuse to cover losing. Quit concerning yourselves with how others play the game. You can’t force people to stay in alliances.

2 Likes

Oh yes so sorry to ask anything. I’ll just mind my own business and try not to get in anyones way with my stupid concerns

1 Like

Thanks for your insight and pleasurable response. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Anyway, i really find it weird that people would do things like that. I get some people ask mercs for help, but my alliance has been matched with third alliance that does this. We’re talking 10+ people leaving right after war ends. It just seems nonsensical to me, and im really curious what is going on

1 Like

That kind of explains it a bit. Thanks for taking your time to explain. Much appreciated

2 Likes

It’s really, really, really hard to coordinate multiple people to jumping from one alliance to another at the same time and use it to gain more titan chests.
That’s pretty much why i do it alone.

My guess is that when they have a fast hit (or a leave) during a no-war time they simply help a family alliance or go merc/help other people, with the “dictat” to return before war time.

Else it could be they simply “exchange” members from alliance to alliance to give a rest on items.

That doesn’t change matching, and they probably don’t gain much more titan kills either.
Don’t worry.

Exploit this system is more easy to say that to do.

3 Likes

@LucasDaoc, I think they were looking for more of a “WHY” this was happening than complaining about losing.

Players will do whatever silly thing someone tells them may give them an edge on ANYTHING, for reasons I don’t quite understand?
A bit like summoning while scrolling to the hero you want because a few people happened to get that exact hero (doesn’t work 99.9999% of the time).

Also, sometimes very large alliances have “baby or sister alliances” that switch players around to assist the newer players. It is meaningless to the matchmaking unless they are there before that starts, otherwise they aren’t fighting in that particular AW.

9 Likes

Our alliance usually coordinates letting a titan go right before/after war time. So, most members go Merc titans for fun. ( I always go flex on a lower titan in my kids guild for instance). It’s a good way to reset flags and string 3-4 with the fifth escaping on a consistent weekly basis. That’s not to say some aren’t out there trying to get “an unfair advantage”… seems like a lot of effort to me but the majority are doing something like I do.

2 Likes

NO @bumblecat and @RedHeeler your wonderment was fine keep asking ANYTHING you want to know. There is just some people cant figure out how to easily answer the question. And that has been answered quite well by @General_Confusion by this >>Also imo it is far more likely that they were off helping other alliances with titans or the like, and just came home for war. This is not uncommon at all, especially with a family of alliances where the strong alliances may be finishing off titans quickly and the weaker alliances maybe needing help. Also @Elpis with this >>My guess is that when they have a fast hit (or a leave) during a no-war time they simply help a family alliance or go merc/help other people, with the “dictat” to return before war time.

Else it could be they simply “exchange” members from alliance to alliance to give a rest on items.

That doesn’t change matching, and they probably don’t gain much more titan kills either.
Don’t worry.

Exploit this system is more easy to say that to do.

1 Like

I was just searching the forum to see if anyone else has experienced this. No one appears to be looking for an “excuse to cover losing”. And part of War Strategy is to concern yourselves with how others play the game. So if there is possibly a strategy to this, I’d be interested to know. When I hear “Quit concerning yourselves with how others play the game” and that this is an “excuse to cover losing”, it almost sounds like defensiveness over a strategy the some may consider gaming the war matching process.

When you say “It doesn’t benefit”, does that mean it has absolutely no benefit to anyone regarding the War Chest? Or if there are, for example, a couple of players who have been in the alliance for hundreds of days and the rest have joined shortly before the most recent matching / another recent matching, is it possible that the hopping could be a means of manipulating the War Score?

If not, I’ve seen you cite the how the matching process works to argue against the possibility that any alliance uses that process to their advantage. I’m curious if you could think of any hypothetical examples of how alliance hopping could be of benefit to anyone, even if that means just 1 or 2 members of an alliance.

In a recent war, the alliance I’m in was matched against an alliance that was very close in War Score, Titan Score, and Trophy Score. Usually we are pretty evenly matched, but with full participation, we were beat by over 1000 points. That was an extreme outlier, with final scores often only differing by single or double digits, and sometimes up to a few hundred points. It seems peculiar.

3 Likes

Let’s look at a couple of factors. Some players enjoy the thrill of mercing and killing titans for other alliances. Is it that far of a stretched to say that there is another small group of players that enjoys the war feature of EP most of all, and will manipulate their chances so that they can win? Not really.

I’ll agree, there isn’t much to be gained for a war chest for someone to lower their ranks and then have to build it up again via 5 or 6 straight wins. But the same loot for a war chest, when you really look at it, can be out-shined by 3 successive +8* titan kills. In essence, the war chest doesn’t really matter to people anymore (and for some, never did).

As much as the developers continue to try to pigeonhole players into a particular game style, when you have as large of a player base as currently exists in the game, you’re going to have small groups that focus on one aspect of the game over another, and find what exploits are available to them. Rather than enhance this ability, by making each element of the game optional and thus more enjoyable for the groups that are actively pursuing them, SG has decided that “top rank” requires a player/alliance to excel on all front simultaneously.

It’s as unrealistic to expect your average player to pursue this path as it is to believe that all players/alliances will be honorable in their war stats.

So, I agree: there are groups that will do this because they love the thrill of manipulating the system. Until SG implements a waiting period for new alliance members to join in the war effort, it will continue.

1 Like

Explain to me how this manipulates the system. No one has said how they are, just that they are. Or are people just assuming it does?

Keep in mind that match making is 30 top heroes and top 5 troops of the people opted in right before war. That’s all it looks at. It doesn’t care if you’ve been in 1 day or 100 days.

The war score modifications for losses and wins stays with the alliance, not the people coming and going. Is there really someone coordinating a bunch of alliances and moving 15+ people every war to win and war but NOT open a war chest?

Those who might be alliance hopping are not opening war chests with any benefit, and are cheating themselves out of basically an elemental chest but a chance for a reset emblem.

It just makes no sense that this is a conspiracy to try to gain a few hundred points worth of advantage for a single war. It makes more sense that people come and go and that’s their home alliance for war when prep starts.

Occam’s razor.

2 Likes

I didn’t say that there was a benefit to constantly recreating war teams aside from the simple amusement of doing so. I’m not looking at a conspiracy: sometimes people enjoy bucking the system simply because they can. Look at all the “drifters” throughout the global chat rooms that prefer to be mercs rather than enjoy the benefits of permanently joining an alliance - even with the continual nerfing of merc loot.

Loot from war, or war chests, is not enticing enough for people to stay in alliances, or even participate in wars at all. If it were, we wouldn’t have the need for individual opt-out, and we wouldn’t see people leave alliances as often as they do. I’m not sure why it’s difficult to believe that the loot aspect could be a very small variable of consideration for some players, as a result.

1 Like

One thing I didn’t see anybody reply with is that it could have been failed mergers. I was in an alliance that merged and the merger didn’t quite pan out, but the alliance that we merged with was smart enough to stay until we got the war chest filled. It is a possibility that the alliances you faced was a failed merge and once the got the W it put them at 25/25 on the war chest and the other alliance left after getting their loot.

3 Likes

I don’t see that as a problem. I’ve noticed the same thing too. I don’t see how any alliance could benefit from alliance hopping between multiple alliances for AWs. Each account can only participate in one AW at a time, and new members aren’t allowed to participate in the AW unless they joined before matchmaking was completed, thus their personal team score has been factored in for the current AW matchup.

In fact, if the opposing team has multiple newer members, that can actually benefit you. Newer members tend to be less loyal, less likely to understand their new alliance’s war strategies, less likely to use all war flags and far more likely to quit the alliance in the middle of the war. Alliance hopping might be a smart strategy for accumulating more titan loot, but it’s a horrible strategy for accumulating war loot.

2 Likes

I had been one of the OPs from this topic way back and spent way too much time (months) tracking the two teams we encountered who did this. And while I think the war score advantage might be a little greater than @General_Confusion stated, factoring in the decreased participation to war chest of even a few points would make it a risky proposition in the manner suggested.

The only way to make it work is to make a brand new alliance every 5wins/war chest and everyone rejoins. I think it is feasible for professional/longtime players to pull off 5 wins in a row with a fresh slate of a war score and get a guaranteed war chest after every 5 battles.

3 Likes

Cookie Settings