Alliance ground rules and kick message

For me as soon as some joins my alkiance. I immediately relay the rules. That ways there is already an understanding coming in. It works wonderfully.

I’m sure it does, but having them by way of reminder on a board has its uses. I have a way of tracking participation in my rules that I feel is fair and rewards effort and gives people lots of chance to redeem themselves if they go through an unproductive spell. So it has a number of steps / checkpoints. I find it easy enough to use to track, but it’s lengthy to explain in in-game chat (it’s here). As a result the introductory explanation to a new member would only really be a summary of the policy, so it would be handy to have the full / detailed outline (and perhaps rationale behind it) in an accessible form in-game.

This is not mutually exclusive to the introductory chat, which is always a nice welcome for a new member in any event.

Some of what you guys say makes sense however @sopclod has a point. I give rules one on one in chat but I do miss some newcomers and its hard to get them again unless I’m on 24/7 and even at that I won’t know they are on unless they talk

I just read your steps/checkpoints. I am horrified, if not surprised.

Can’t you just say, “Everyone’s gotta pitch in”? Must everything be an algorithm? (Don’t answer. I know your answer. I’m being rhetorical.)

• You can use colored text to make your post more visible in chat

• You can post your comunication and ask the others to not post (for a period of time) to not lose that in the crowd

• You can ask others to check if the person is online and post the comunication for you if they happen to see him

Honestly, you are all too nice.
Don’t respond? SPARTAAAA!

2 Likes

I’m also a fan of both of those suggestions.
Additionally it would be great if one could enter a message to the player if declining his joining request for the alliance.

Hey, it works. I’ve grown this alliance from 20,000 score to 100,000 primarily by weeding out non-contributors. The criteria are unambiguous and it works. Takes me a minute after a Titan fight (or war) ends to keep track.

I started off trying to judge ‘just pitch in’. Didn’t work for me.

Have a go at growing and running a low (to mid tier) alliance and see how you get on with ‘just pitch in’. Once I had established in my mind clear criteria to qualify what ‘just pitch in’ actually means, it greatly reduced my time to track who wasn’t. It was all over the place before then.

But anyway… good luck doing it your way (but suspect someone else actually does… you may find they actually do stuff like take notes). I’ll do it mine.

1 Like

I knew you were a brute. I love you anyway.

I inherited leadership of our alliance about nine months ago and ran us to the top 100 with ‘just pitch in’. I resigned ‘to spend more time with my family’ last month, as did our co-leader. Our new leader and co-leader have stuck with ‘just pitch in’, we’re still full, still top 100, and still having fun, so I guess something is working.

Plus, no algorithm. Hah!

Yes, I agree with that too. If someone requests to join the alliance but we have to decline it, I would like to say why. For example, “Thanks for your request, but we have someone returning from another alliance who was just out visiting.” Or…”You have a great team, but we’re looking for someone with team power 3400*” or whatever.

I suspect ‘just pitch in’ works a whole lot better for a Top100. You will only tend to attract committed players.
I guarantee you it didn’t work in my alliance while it was under 70k score. Just got too many part timers.

As it turns out I have had less / scant need of ‘the algorithm’ of late because the latest joiners (mostly sourced from the forums) are all committed to the game from the get-go.

I still draw on it as a fair way to boot someone who is ‘sorta pitching in but not really enough’ which has happened twice to us over the last couple of months. I have a very clear measure of what ‘picthing in’ means.

Different strokes (kitty) :wink:

Or… “You’re ugly and your mother dresses you funny.”

I hear what you’re saying, though it bears observing that we were way below 70k quite recently and collected points pretty nicely with a relaxed culture.

Still, I like it when you call me Kitty. I might change my name.

1 Like

Don’t mistake my algorithm for my alliance’s culture (which is what I read as your implication).

I use it to track, but the culture is relaxed. I let in people with lower ability, do not force or require them to save or spend flags or play in any way outside of how they would like… except they need to pitch in (and the meaning of ‘pitch in’ is totally unambiguous). You can even choose to not attack in Wars and will still have a place if you’re hitting titans. It’s simply easier for me to track this using this means, and If I’m doing so then there’s no harm in being transparent and sharing the criteria I use to track. Yes, I’m a very procedural person. I am, after all, a computer programmer at heart. :slight_smile:

Very easy to cast judgement based on a veneer you see in a forum post… but really the post is more of an insight in to the way I structure my tracking and thinking than anything to do with the culture of the alliance. We have only had 2 people voluntarily leave the alliance since I took it on (not counting pop-in / pop-out visits, which don’t happen any more) - and both were to join a more ambitious alliance. (Ambitious I’m not - too much work for a game). It’s a happy, relaxed alliance, and proving pretty successful because of it.

(So I end with… I think the OP has a great idea because it helps out procedural A-holes like me. :slight_smile: )

2 Likes

Of course your post did make me revisit assumptions and I edited my recruitment post… shifting emphasis off ‘the criteria’ although still listed for completeness.

Stop being such a pest and forcing me to think, dammit!

1 Like

I think we can agree that some alliances need rules and some don’t. For those that do, it would be usefull to have a place to display them. As members come an go it’s frustrating to write/paste them for every single new user. Some of us would apreciate developers looking into this.

1 Like