Aegir best flanks defense team

I find that raids are heavily skewed towards attack so defense doesn’t mean much to me. I win 2 to 1 on my defense and still lose cups and the only defense that beats my raid attack team is a horrible board.

Aegir is what I refer to as a charging post. Can beat any team behind him easily with 4* heroes. Give me 2 debuffers of different colors and a defense dropper and any 2 heroes of your choosing and the whole team crumbles like dominoes.

1 Like

Almost all of those combos were “hero missing.” I only had to charge red 1 time, and the front 3 were dead. Red, the color that is supposed to be the worst vs Aegir…

1 Like

As said, you start the raid with a match 3 right in Zeline zone (quite lucky, as there’s only 1 column avalaible for that,and you get it vertically). Aegir or not Aegir, that would not change anything. You directly hit her, it was not Aegir fault.

At 0.54, an almost-dead Zeline linked to Aegir receive the shared damage of a match 4 of 4 (!) stacking heroes and do not die.
Yes, you manage to kill all them soon using specials, but that doesn’t change that was impressive.

Honestly, i think we have really different opinions about what a bad board is.
Do you think in that raid with a… uhm… Gravemaker tank the result would be any different?

Yes I do. Aegir, an average mana, got to fire his special twice. Gravemaker, very fast, would have fired 3 times most likely. If a Gravemaker fires even twice I’m probably going to lose.

It just doesn’t matter how many time Aegir fires. His special doesn’t bother the attackers at all.

3 Likes

Nope, i rewatch the raid.
It probably shoot twice even him, the second the turn after he shoot his first, so you don’t take all DoT of the first special but only 1 turn.

Then you very probably shoot first your Marjana to kill him and then do the match 4, charge your Bold and Falcon, and Finally kill al togheter.

All this if Gravemaker was not dead before from tile damage.

I put up some numbers.
Aegir in the first red combo receive about 375 damage.
But he have 97 points more of defence, and red tiles do half damage for him.
We can assume a Gravemaker received about 900 damage from that (if someone want to calculate better i’m totally fine)

He can’t sustain the second red match and died.

Reading through this (and all the other Aegir threads), it seems like Aegir’s viability as tank depends greatly on where you are in the game’s progression.

I’ve been playing over a year, have 10 max (or close to) 5 star heroes, and have consistently stayed in diamond for a while now. I think the only time I’ve ever lost to an Aegir tank was in AW with a horrible starting board.

To me, the best tanks are those that make you say “oh sh*t” when they’re about to fire their special. Once you have a strong enough team, you actually want Aegir’s special to go off. I just dump tiles in to him, charge my specials, and then unload on the flank with the weakest defense stat. That normally leaves Aegir dead from the prior tile damage combined with the shared damage from the specials and both flanks severely crippled.

2 Likes

That’s the way I used it. :grin:

2 Likes

That’s more a good use of Wilbur.
Again, switch Aegir with another tank that do not do damage (Vivica, Delilah… even Ares) and you have the same result.

But it was fun to watch, thank you.

1 Like

Now I’m going to go hunt me an Aegir tank with my record button ready. Because I’ve melted his front line with some legit bad boards.

1 Like

Good Aegir teams, flanked by two good fast heroes please.

If he is that bad, it should be possible :face_with_monocle:

My fundamental position has always been that Aegir puts a lot of pressure on bench depth and team selection, not that he’s unuseable in all circumstances:

But my point would be that almost ANY tank-ish hero is adequate when flanked by, say, GM and Lianna. If your bench is that deep, you probably have better options than Aegir. And if it isn’t that deep, Aegir is troublesome.

And we agree here.
As i often repeat because people tend to forget, i’m not saying he is a really good tank. People always think that who defend him have a great consideration of him.

I defend the cause that he is not useless or the worst among HotM, but about at the same level and usage of Musashi, Thoth, Perseus, Onatel or Natalya.
So a meh HotM, but still useful.

What really makes people feeling that way, was the great expectations they had as a tank.
Probably even due his first version.

2 Likes

Totally agree @Elpis! Aegir may not be the best hero at the defense tank position, but really any tank is easily defeated using a color stack team.

I was running Aegir at tank for about 10 days but oddly no one was attacking if my cups we’re in the 2650-2550 range. He’s not nearly as bad as many say he is on defense.

1 Like