Advice for New Players, or "All the things I wish someone had told me when I first started."

Is there a thread where common abbrevitations exist? That might be really helpful for new players to read and can help them grow.

Asking because I’m new and there are a lot of short hand terms that make learning this game harder.

1 Like

Try this: The E&P Jargon-Pulverising Fictionary (glossary, definitions, dictionary)

9 Likes

Thank you so much good person!

1 Like

I apologize if I missed it, but at what recommended level do your mines and farms have to be to reach SH20? I’m currently at SH17, I have 4 mines at 15, 6 farms at 10, 1 farm at 11, and 1 farm at 4.

Also, I’d like recommendations on how to proceed. I have TC13 and 2xTC4, and my roster is as follows:

I want to thank everyone in advance for their assistance and for putting together such a great thread. It has been nothing short of a godsend.

There will come a time when ascension mats will flood your inventory unless you want 70-90 max 5 stars. If you are here for the long game, avoid using rugged clothes and swords as they are not food efficient. You may also want to avoid paying gems to get these ascension mats.

I’ve been playing over 18 months and i have nothing like that to show. What level player are you? How much do you spend? I literally have just one maxed 5 star. I’m lucky to get a 3 star ascencion mat in every three Titan chests. War chests are comical.

Yeah; don’t touch those free youtube internet gem offers as that will get your account cancelled; spend money or gain them a few at a time; they are worth ~$0.07 each but better during offers. Enjoy within the rules and regs.

Thank you so much for all the helpful tips :slight_smile: I just started playing, and I am rather overwhelmed! It went from “just this app game I want to check out”, to hook me, and make me want to dive deeper into all of the aspects it has to offer. Much appreciated with the help along the way such as this post, thank you again!

2 Likes

twilight, there is no way. Do VIP, quests and MV, and that’s it. You can buy them cheaper at events.

If you are F2P (Free to Play, you don’t use real money), just do all Missions, Wanted Missions and Quests, some of them will give you gems. Also participate in events, Path of Valor, etc.

Prolly 33 months at the time those screenshots were taken. Do the grind and be efficient. 1st year in the game should give you at least a rainbow 5* team unless you don’t spend anything and are cursed at tc20.

Consider me officially cursed. I’ve done plenty of grinding and spending believe me and this forum is full of vitriolic threads and posts by me cursing SG; this last 6 months I have been drowned by Banes, Ulmers, Gunnars, Hawkmoons, Nashgars and the inevitable parade of Little johns and Elena, the 5 star Dawa.

So, when you start a new game, there is always the worry “am I doing something wrong?”. As I always get the same questions from friends starting this great game, I’ve made a short list of DO’s and DON’Ts when you start Empires & Puzzles. I thought it might be a good idea to share them here:

DO’s

1. your main focus when you start should be to get as many leveled 3* and 4* heroes (for war, raids, quests & titans). Do achieve this, focus your build order on getting your training camp to level 13 (guaranteed 3* hero, sometimes a 4*)

2. join an Alliance (you can do this from level 5 onward). The main benefit is you can fight titans and get great loot! Try to join an alliance fighting 1* or 2* titans, so you can be helpful (higher titans will be too powerful when you just start)

3. use a friends code to get a free VIP pass. You can enter the code via inbox → invites. If you don’t have friend playing this game, you can use my code: U13ARE4

4. you will get quite some gems, use the for 1 purpose at the start: buy heroes during 2 events: Valhalla & Atlantis Rising. There you have a change of heroes that will take you all the way to level 40 and beyond. For example, one of my first pulls was Wilbur (from Atlantis), and I still use now that I’m level 47

5. For leveling heroes, focus on leveling 3* & 4* (5* will take way to long at an early level). Try to get 1 per color, so you can have a good raid team and take on most quests/missions

DON’Ts

1. Never level any 1* or 2* heroes! Once you are level 15 or so, you will never use them anymore! It is a full waste of time and resources

2. on the other hand, don’t use any 3*/4*/5* hero to level another hero until you have the knowledge to be absolutely sure you don’t need that hero

3. Don’t spend gems on speeding up buildings or replenishing resources, give it some time!

4. If you want to spend money, don’t just spend it on any deal you see, be wise: the best value are the VIP passes, Path of Valor pass (this is a big event running for 2 months) and the daily gem buys in the shop (if you need more gems)

So, hopefully this is helpful and makes you steer away from pitfalls that I made (yes, I have a few fully leveled 2* heroes that I never use)!

Cheers,

Bram

4 Likes

https://forum.smallgiantgames.com/t/advice-for-new-players-or-all-the-things-i-wish-someone-had-told-me-when-i-first-started/34432/519

3 Likes

When fighting an enemy one make a tile match but those tiles do not hit the other players heroes. They come back to you giving double mana.

The fast forward button located in the upper right hand corner of the tile match screen.

When you make a match horizontally only one or two tiles may hit the opposing hero. When you make one vertically all three tiles will hit.

This is still great advice.

Unfortunately, #9 does not apply to heroes. There are so many summoning portals now, and everything except S1 is paywalled: challenge events, seasonal events, S2, S3, Tavern of Legends, and Ninja Tower. S4 will be the same.

Oh, and about S1? Every trainable hero from tc20 now has a costume. Another paywall.

To be clear, I write the above not to dump on the game. I still enjoy playing after 3+ years. It’s just the reality for obtaining heroes.

I’d offer the following advice:

1. Watch Mystic Vision. It’s rare but you can get goodies including hero/troop tokens, non-farmable 3* and 4* ascension materials (“mats”), up to 50 emblems (super rare but it does happen) etc. At least, the usual few gems or emblems is still useful.

2. Focus on your hero roster. There will always be another player with more 3*/4*/5* heroes than you. Comparison is the thief of joy! And don’t worry about troops until later.

1 Like

This is some of the best advice, because not only can Mystic Vision give some good loot (yes, it’s rare but does happen), it’s also one of the few things in the game that literally costs you nothing to complete. All you have to do is suffer through an ad, and you get something. I’ve been playing for over a year, and I still watch Mystic Vision 2-3 times a day.

2 Likes

#9 does apply to heroes. With the Training Camp level 20 you can theoretically summon any Season 1 hero and then retrain it into a non-Season 1 hero via the Hero Academy. In theory, it could give you almost any hero (except for the newer ones).

In addition, you can (theoretically) gain a great amount of gems only via playing, and gems can summon you (theoretically) any hero if you make enough pulls from a portal.

Portals aren’t entirely paywalled since all of them include a F2P summoning option - like the challenge events portal which can be loaded with challenge coins, and those are % chance farmable from challenge event maps. Or the costumes event portal, which can be loaded with keys dropped from multiple places (these are non-farmable sadly). But of course every portal is partially paywalled since if you want a specific hero (even S1), then you have to pay to get it via gem pulls.

I’d add several advices myself:

1. Give your main account a 130 days of free VIP pass. 3 steps to achieve that:
    A. Use your starting account to invite your main account
    B. Level up your main account to 5 to reap the starting benefits (100 gems + 10 days VIP)
    C. Create over 20 new accounts and invite them to play E&P via your main account. Then level up those 20 new accounts to level 10

It’s best to create your new accounts on a different device, but I’d been running them for a month and a half now and have yet to see any trouble with switching between them - none whatsoever detected (Android phone).

1. If you don’t like what most alliances offer (and I personally don’t), then make your own! Costs 50 gems, and you can at least fight 1-1 wars with a moderate chance of winning since the game should pair you vs other 1-man alliances with the same strength. But even if you lose, don’t lose hope since you will always be the best represented player in your own alliance in wars and even if you lose, you’d still have a decent chance of getting a 3* unfarmable ascension material! Also, even with 25 losses you will get the most of what’s in that alliance chest for more unfarmable ascension mats (hopefully). Edit: Also there is no risk of anyone kicking you out of the alliance and thus lose the alliance chest rewards just before opening. And if you fear you won’t be able to kill titans, you have 2 options - either hit them and don’t care (they still give food + iron + low-level items upon escape) OR use your 20 side accounts and start killing the titans yourself. That takes about 2-3 hours daily, but at least you can ensure your main account to be always on top - A+ score, which even on 2* titans translates into loot tier V = a chance of getting a 3* unfarmable material, so at the beginning of the game you don’t really need to go over 2* titans.

2. Start competing those rare quests ASAP! Although more experienced players could do it with a lower team power , I recommend to start doing it when you have a team of 3* 50-level heroes (around 2200 team power). With that team and a forge of level 8 (Axe attacks are important) you will be able to finish any rare quest up to the last chapter, and that means 3* unfarmable ascension mats. And although the last level for the 4* item is also within the grasp of a 3* team, I highly doubt that a new F2P player can achieve it. Plus all you need to ascend the 4* heroes you will most probably get early on is 3* unfarmable ascension mats, so focus on getting these.

Edit: Forgot to mention troops…although it’s indeed important to focus on the heroes first, troops should not be neglected. Leveling them a bit from a Barracks level 1 still has some merit. First of all, it’s not so expensive - only a bit of feeder troops wasted - but even a ** attack troop has way more value at lvl 4. Then there is the Find Recruits II reward which has a secret reward 50% of the time - an Epic Troop Token that can at least summon a solid 3* troop, even 4* at times. Those can be leveled if only a bit in the barracks lvl 1, but it’s worth it - both for the Path of Valor challenges and for any battle, because there is a difference between 10% and 12% attack bonus for example. Not a big one, but in the beginning of the game even such small differences could matter.