Add Support for Hyperlinks in Game Chat Text

Hello Sarah2,

I truly appreciate your statement, “gosh you are dedicated!”! Yes I am.

I am the “last one standing”, of the 3 original Co-Creators of Viking Warriors Alliance! I recently realized that we created the Alliance just after the Release of “Empires & Puzzles : RPG”, over TWO years ago.

I am not familiar with the tool (?) app you mentioned. I thank you so much for your quick reply. :+1: This saves me precious time. Now I can benefit from this time saving option, by getting back to my real life beckoning me​:exclamation:

Sincerely,

Dawn Blanchard

aka “White¤Warrior”

2 Likes

I checked out the suggested communication app. Whoa! 116 MB?
Are you familiar with “LINE: Lite”? 5.? MB. I’m not clear on “how to” use either app for “Posting to E&P homepage”? Screenshots via my Email? Addressed to?

Thanks again!

Please view screenshots.

Hey @Metis
I think there are more functions with Line vs Line lite (happy to be corrected). You create your own account once you download the app. Create a chat group and invite your friends - obviously they need a Line app Id as well.

Happy to help once you get connected (disclaimer I’m not an expert but I know the basics) . Line Id. Sarah_friendofbella (it was my sister who got me into this game, made sense at the time but a simplier one would have been better).

I know people also use discord, as an alternative communication app.
Good luck.

3 Likes

Thank you for sharing your Lite ID, and the other app’s name. I really appreciate you taking the time out for replying more than once, and the very helpful info on the procedure for implementing the apps. :blush: :fist_right::fist_left:

2 Likes

Better merge it into this (already 7 votes) ?

Think would solve your problem as well…
Can you check this @Metis and let @zephyr1 know ?

1 Like

I appreciate your suggestion @Sarah2 and have given it much consideration. The issue with Line or any other outside communication app is it’s just that…outside.

I refuse to break up my Alliance into 2 groups: (1) those that use Line and (2) those that don’t. The communication tools to run an Alliance should ALL be available within the game. If players are forced to seek out these other resources in order to have meaningful communication with their members that says one thing…the current platform is insufficient.

For a game that relies so heavily on communication, I feel this deficiency is a MAJOR oversight by the developers :slightly_frowning_face:

1 Like

Thanks @Sorsha for the recommendation! It appears that @Metis and I share the same passion for getting relevent, useful, high quality information to our members with a desire to do so in a more efficient user friendly way. I’m totally on board with merging this thread and working together if she is :slight_smile:

1 Like

@zephyr1 my Dear. Can you merge this thread please to the hyperlink thread from @Goliath as quoted above?

THX!

1 Like

Merged, thanks! :heart_decoration:

I had actually merged that other thread earlier today, so I brought it into here as well. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Because. Humans.

I would be very surprised if this is an oversight.

As a chat moderator on MMO, one of the top 10 problems is harmful links. It consumes a lot of developer cycles that could be used to add game content.

Apps like Line/ Discord/ Kik have developer cycles dedicated to dealing with harmful links since their primary use is chat.

Notes

1 Like

I offen refer members back to the forum via links but as they are not clickable the members can’t be bothered rewriting it into a browser.

In todays tech world hyperlinks are nesaccary, useful and essential to helping new members and passing on forum topics they need to know about.

Now we have the featured massage board, making that capable would make sense.

1 Like

They can make it so it only accepts just forum links

3 Likes

Just make a small whitelist for hyperlinks, maybe the official SG sites (board, homepage), uTube, and google. That would let us point to the most important information and will prevent scam, harmful linking and no moderation would be needed.

3 Likes

Precisely! Humans are evolutionally lazy and when presented with 2 options the path of least resistence is usually chosen. Handtyping the link into their browser…we might as well be rubbing sticks together to start a fire.

I really like the idea of only accepting Forum Links in conjunction with @Olmor’s suggestion of a whitelist to prevent abuse. That’s a wonderful solution I hope the developers can get behind.

Thanks for your input :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for sharing your perspective @Gryphonknight! Your reference post was last updated nearly 1 year ago (31-Aug-2018). Since then, Zynga has acquired Small Giant Games for $700M and any response that talks to resources or funding is laughable.

I hope the acquisition will afford SGG the opportunity to develop this game to it’s fullest potential :slight_smile:

Shifty

I post a forum link in chat that redirects to this forum reply.

Adds link here

OMG (linky, linky)

This just pushes the harmful link burden to the forums.

As a forum Mod, I will tell you harmful forum links are a pain because all forums are 3rd party software. I really hate forum trolls.

Though Discourse.org appears to have mitigated this with their flag implementation and trust level 0 implementation.

Chat apps like Line/ Discord/ Kik are designed to handle links.

Shifting links

This still requires Development cycles for maintenance of the white list. There is nothing more frustrating than clicking an official link and having it not go through because the white list has not been updated.

Once again, chat apps have these development cycles budgeted for white list maintenance.

Scaling Budgets

Short Answer
Profitabile companies stay profitable by sticking to budgets based on revenue, costs and investor pay outs.

Long answer
This is marketing speak.

Translation:

Based on friends who have participated in successful buy outs, I doubt SGG is allowed to substantially change its business model from when the post you reference was in affect.

I think I voted… tried to vote in favor, then it asked for my login, then said I already voted—but have no idea whether I voted for or against.

Also, could you (@Goliath) please send Jefe back to ~ Sunny Gang ~… War is imminent, and he left w/ his team on the Battlefield. Thanks.

Thanks for your support @KalamityKaspar! I just confirmed your vote has been counted.

In regards to Jefe, I’m sorry he left your Alliance. However unfortunate his departure, it’s not my responsibility to moderate his decisions. Thanks for your understanding.

You can vote for something or Remove a vote.

Here is the list of your current votes

( https://forum.smallgiantgames.com/u/KalamityKaspar/activity/votes )

1 Like

Not a responsibility, just asking a favor… could you please ask him to do the courteous thing and come take his shots in the War before leaving. Thanks.

UPDATE: Well, he screwed us—lost the War by < 100 pts. Would’ve been no big deal for either of you to have him come take his shots real quick and go right back to Fraggle Rock. He was my favorite player, and I’m sure he’ll be great for y’all for awhile… until he also decides to stab you in the back for no good reason.

Cookie Settings