After a strange pop up where there was a request from the app to change or modify the app settings (i had to accept or it doesn’t allow me to go any further) it don’t recognise my account anymore. The app freeze on the download screen and nothing happens for several minutes (i have connection, all the other things works)
My phone can’t capture it, but usually on this picture you find your account number.
In that screen the account number is not there anymore, only a “#” without any number.
I submit a request through zendesk and that was the response:
- i uninstalled and re-installed the app
- i restart my phone doing it
- i checked google play, all fine in there
- i don’t have multiple accounts
- i do not have facebook nor want to, so i can’t do anything in that sense
- nothing has changed
I don’t really know what to do.