About closing topics

Was reading @marlenus departure topic searching what was the reason for closing it.
Not really understand why, so i really go take a look again on the forum rules to refresh my memories.

1. We do not tolerate any vulgar or offensive behavior. Please be mindful of the way you treat other players.

I don’t see any vulgarity here.

1. Any kind of harassment, hate speech or offensive language towards other players is not tolerated. Please be mindful of the language you are using.

Nah, it’s not that.

1. Do not post any offensive content, such as sexually explicit, racist, abusive or disrespectful material. Posting NSFW (Not Safe For Work) videos or images is not permitted.

I don’t think so.

1. Be civil and do not flame or insult other players. Nobody likes a troll. No matter how fired up the discussion, please be civil.

It was quite a nice and calm topic.

1. Respect all players and staff. Bullying other forum members or disrespecting staff is not permitted.

See point n. 4

1. Spamming is strictly forbidden. Please do not post any advertisements, offers, competitors’ materials, promotions or spread misguided information.

That was some names of other games, but i can’t consider it “spamming”. Or is it a taboo name other games?

1. Only one (1) forum account per user allowed. Creating and using multiple forum accounts may result in a permanent ban of all accounts.

Nope, not this.

1. Read the categories and announcements through, before posting anything. Any duplicate threads will be deleted. For example, Alliance recruitment posts go under the Alliance Recruitment category, and all support issues go under the Bugs & Issues category.

It was a farwell topic, not duplicate or wrong category for me.

1. Wildly irrelevant topics are not allowed. Please post only topics that fit under the pre-defined forum categories. Irrelevant in this context means all non-game related topics.

If this topic is “irrilevant” then many others too. (But not closed)

1. Do not abuse the Flagging function of the forum. Clearly falsely flagging the content of other users can result in the suspension and / or blocking of your account.

Too many flags? Maybe?

1. Respect privacy. Posting your own or any other person’s personal information is absolutely prohibited.

Yes, we now know where he used to work and his hobbies but… duh… Is this the reason?

1. Do not spread false information or impersonate any player or staff member.

Not the case here.

1. Any illegal activities or content sharing is forbidden. Do not post any pirated content (warez), or any other content that is illegal in any way.

Naaaah.

1. Do not discuss or debate publicly any of the disciplinary actions taken by staff, moderators or support. This includes: account and in-game chat bans or warnings, forum moderation (suspensions, silences, topic closures or post removals). Posting any private messages or e-mails (regardless of topic) received from staff, moderators or support is strictly prohibited.

Not his case. But is the case of this topic.
Please, don’t consider it as a complaint, but instead a sincere question to understand your reasons and don’t do the same mistakes.

1. Mainly English language is allowed. We do not officially support any other languages on this forum. You can write in a foreign language in the [Foreign Languages] category. Some of our active members help out on translations there, from time to time. Please note, that foreign language support is not guaranteed.

No doubt, this is not it.

1. Do not provoke or inspire others to act against the Forum Rules or Terms of Service

I don’t think so.
Edit: that was some players who suggest do go against the game rules (not the forum).
Still it was not the OP who suggest it and their post were flagged, so not really need a close?
I mean, if i want a topic closed i just need to go in that topic and act badly?

Reminder: i do know that you have the right to remove whatever you want and that you don’t discuss the way you moderate the forum.
But at the same time if we don’t know where we do wrong same mistakes could happen right after.

5 Likes

It was this as Petri said, even if it say “non-game” it should be read “non-E&P”.
Maybe they should change it to make it clearer.

Yeah, i read that too now. (Wasn’t there before or just missing it? Boh.)

So is it that we can’t name other games?
Good to know.

(Btw: it was still rude to close a farwell topic instead of just deleting the wrong posts)

The thread has been closed because they don’t like to get critizism. They want to shut our mouths :rage:

6 Likes

… yeah, right. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

That’s an opinion not a complaint.
It’s different :face_with_monocle:

I don’t know exactly why the thread was closed. I do know that this assertion:

is one of the silliest things I have ever seen posted in the forum (which really is saying something).

What proportion of threads would we say basically amount to criticism of the game and/or the devs? No less than half, right? Maybe three quarters? 80%?

And how often are threads shut down because of some breach of forum rules? It doesn’t happen every day. Does it happen once a week? Perhaps.

So do we really think that SG don’t like “critizism” and are motivated to close threads because they want players to “shut our mouths”? If so then they are going about things in a very unusual way, hosting a forum that is largely a venue for players to criticise the game, and choosing to let most threads run their course until they descend into obscurity as interest in them fades.

6 Likes

I’m not sure of the exact reason either or why the offending individual post wasn’t just removed rather than closing the topic. Yes we did delve a bit into some off topic stuff in a couple of posts but really so what, it was harmless and uncontroversial. Amusingly, I received ‘nice topic’, ‘good topic’ and ‘gives back’ badges for the thread. I very much doubt community members complained but the action seems like a fitting ending to my story.

… And he lived happily ever after. The end.

4 Likes

@Elpis

tl;dr:
Why not retire from playing intensively, and play for fun instead?

Thank you for this thread.
I enjoyed some Real Life yesterday - actually with a lady whom I met in my alliance, and then we found out that we are almost neighbors :blush:, so we met at a cafe, and we had a great time! - and I missed the thread by @marlenus.

For big players, I would like to mention an alternative to quitting completely. An alternative that more and more big players are choosing. It is simply:

Retiring from playing intensively. :hugs:

Leaving that topXX alliance, joining a smaller alliance with nice people - or joining one of the retirement alliances which are currently being founded by more and more big players. Who all want to do what I have done: simply play in peace.

Leaving “the grind with the big titans”, going back to “play, not work”.

The quotes are taken from a conversation that I had last week with another big player. That is what he said to me. Verbatim.
Some time ago, I had met the guy in a topXX alliance. Now I saw him again, and he had founded a retirement alliance. To play the game in peace. To play. For fun. Instead of working.

As some may know, I myself retired from playing intensively some time ago. For the same reasons. I was thoroughly tired of the grind with the big titans, and I was thoroughly tired of this game being nothing but work. For no pay. On the contrary… I have a daytime job, thank you very much, and I do not appreciate having to work and work, for no pay, in my spare time.

But why quit the game, and throw the labor and the investment of time and money in the trash?

Naaawww…
I myself - and more and more big players now - very much prefer retiring to a smaller alliance, with like-minded people, playing for fun, having no stress, no bother, no annoying stuff - and happily raiding to our heart’s content :hugs:

We have the heroes, we have the experience, we have nice contacts with whom we can raid back and forth, sending them the videos, congratulating them on their wins, and - of course, in my case :wink: - inviting them for some nice genuine German beer for their return visits :beer::beer::beer::trophy::hugs:

Now, that is what I call playing a game for fun and enjoyment. Like retirement in Real Life: I have worked hard. For quite some time. Now, I have time to play and enjoy myself. :grin:

To my mind, retirement is a wonderful alternative to quitting the game and throwing everything away. :blush:

I would strongly advise to give it a try.

Now, I have no idea what SG thinks about all these happy - and quite strong - retirees hopping around in the Top 100 player leaderboard, talking to each other, having a great time and enjoying themselves immensely. Instead of throwing everything down and thus making room for the next generation of players - who still spend a whole lot of money trying to get to the place where we retirees already are.

Well, as Rhett Butler said, "Frankly, my dear, I don’t give a d… " :grin:

I never asked for 12* titans, I never asked for war or for big huge war opponents, I never asked for grind, work, bother and annoyance. And I have retired from all of that stuff.

Play, not work :hugs:

2 Likes

The first rule of moderation is you do not discuss moderation on the forum.

Because once we start doing that the cat is out of the bag, we force the moderator to motivate and be publicly answerable to any decision he/she makes. And they’ll find themselves having to do so with one hand tied behind their back because of user privacy. I can assure you no moderator in their right mind, paid or volunteer, will put up with that. I know I wouldn’t.

Cut them some slack, 'ye of little faith.

2 Likes

I find you’re not making any sense.

I believe there were multiple flagged posts offering to purchase said account, or other accounts. It also did have many replies suggesting what games to play instead.

I enjoyed the original post, as like any addiction it isn’t always comfortable sharing. There were also some nice replays towards the top of it. Best of luck @marlenus

3 Likes

Hint: some people are not nice.

I believe it was this reason. Handful of comments about sharing/selling accounts. If I recall correctly, Rook even had to remind people of the ToC.

Hint: you’re stupid.

Edit because the post was hidden: to the mod that found it appropriate to hide it: shame on you!

Aaaaand i sniff a close even here :joy:

2 Likes

I agree it may have been appropriate to delete those posts but I totally ignored them so not sure why the whole thread was locked down. Believe me I wish I could leave my work to someone else, but not only is it against ToS, I’d have to give away a gmail account that’s been my primary email account since 2005. So, not happening.

Maybe they don’t want for farawell topics to snowball. Ppl are leaving or thinking about but not everybody wants to start topic. If these topic become popular threads it sends the wrong message to fresh players. There is plenty of valid criticism in there as well. Criticism that remains chronically unanswered. So yep i think they want to shut it down.

2 Likes

I think if that was the case, they would just delete the whole thread. I don’t think SGG is out to hide dissatisfaction and criticism. As Brobb pointed out, just take a look at the forum topics. There are a dozen or more new posts every week criticizing SGG and those aren’t being deleted or locked.

Thinking about it further… The side effect of locking a popular negative post is it VERY rapidly moves off the front page of the forum and gets buried in the past. So in that sense, locking a post is sort of a passive aggressive method of censoring things :smiley:

Update: I actually thought it was one of the more civil, friendly threads I’ve seen in recent times! It was refreshing to be able to communicate with others, share ideas whether related to EPP or addiction to games in general as well as recommend a couple of other games that are in no way competitors to SGG. We can’t chat in game outside of our alliance, we can’t chat in PMs in the forums, those are disabled, there’s no off topic forum… so one would think there could be some lenience when a couple of posts might deviate a bit from E&P but the majority of the thread is on topic.

@sleeperZ96BT I believe I know the car you’re talking about. If so, it looks like a PoS but is really really quick.

3 Likes

Deleting would amount to censorship and thus admission that problem exists. Too early for this.