A question of etiquette - kicking a player

We have a player in our alliance. Been with us for the better part of a year. They use all their war flags (usually does well point-wise), but they don’t really follow the timing of our war plan. WHEN they hit a titan, it’s usually for good damage. But they often do the bare minimum when it comes to the number of flags they use. Often see them on the game several times a day before they use a titan flag. And they do not communicate. At all. I think they have our Line chats muted or they uninstalled it soon after joining us. No chatter in game chat either. Just feels like they are playing alone with the bonus of getting titan loot and alliance war loot. It’s very frustrating, and they are our only member who is like this (just in case they are reading this…it’s you!).

What’s the consensus here on letting a bare minimum alliance member like this stick with the alliance? Is a boot or at least an elder boot vote in order?

1 Like

What I’d do first is ping them by sending them a private message on LINE. Even if their chats are muted, messages aren’t (not by default anyways).

I’d personally start there, since if they’re doing decent damage on the titan + using their war flags for good points, they may just have missed the memo on your communication expectations.

4 Likes

Communication issues due to Different languages maybe? We just had someone join our alliance who attacked titan very well and did fair in war but left after a few days cuz the language barrier is just to much and her english was extremely basic.

2 Likes

I get annoyed with players who won’t communicate. I don’t expect everyone to be chatty but communication is part of teamwork and vital to maximize strategy during a war.

To me, if communication is an expectation of your alliance, I’d say this player simply isn’t a good fit. They may be a strong, active individual player, but perhaps not the right member for your alliance.

5 Likes

Pinged them in Line multiple times. Messages unread. Tried catching them in game chat (and even left banner messages), no good.

1 Like

Same language. Had multiple conversations with them when they joined trying to get them onto Line. So that’s not the issue.

1 Like

I’d say if it’s causing you frustration, then it’s probably also noticed by the other members. Kick them off, explain to the members why you did so and I’m sure many will agree.

5 Likes

They definitely CAN BE a strong player. But they mostly don’t do what they are able to do in game even though they appear to be on the game a lot. It’s frustrating.

The elders in my alliance are in full discussion mode about it right now. Even though I’m the leader in the alliance (had been co-lead forever until recently), I don’t believe in booting anyone without a discussion among the elders first.

Oh, absolutely! When I was leader all promotions or kicks had to be unanimous between leader and co-leaders.

When they joined your alliance was it a rule that they join your line group and communicate on a regular basis?
When they joined your alliance was it a rule that they followed your war plan and timings?
Have you asked about any RL issues?
If they fully participate in war (use all flags) and hit each Titan at least 3 times and give you good scores in both - I would suggest that is a Very positive contribution.
Would your alliance be in a better position or worse position without this player?
Or would you kicking them make no difference to your alliance achievements including POV etc?

3 Likes

Yes, they did join our line group and we have stressed many times that communication is important to us.
Yes, it has always been a rule to follow our war plan (we have a Line chat set up specifically for that)
No to the RL issues, because they don’t answer anything on Line (messages unread) and they don’t chat in game chat.
They do use all war flags consistently. Titan participation is spottier. Sometimes don’t use 3 flags and have entirely missed titans a few times.
I think our alliance would be roughly the same with them gone. We might have some initial trouble with titans until we settle, but it likely wouldn’t affect alliance achievements like PoV.

2 Likes

Then my view on this would be to change the banner message for your alliance to remind people of the rules. Particularly war timing and Titan hits.
Then use chat if needed to expand on that and state that if members don’t comply they need to say what their RL issues are.
Tell members that you are monitoring the next couple of wars and the next 5 titans and will act on performance.
Tell members if they don’t play by the rules they get kicked next week (after the next two wars).
And ping this “problem” member a line message asking him to stick to the rules. You could even say that you will message him 3 times and if no reply = kick.
If you don’t think he is reading line, tell them in chat every time you have sent a message in Line
My view is = 3 strikes and you are out

2 Likes

Good stuff. Thanks! Already did the banner message/alliance description thing earlier today.

1 Like

Just like in the life out of game, many people join a group, but they don’t like to interact, they’re there just for the rewards of titans and wars that they can’t gain alone, in my alliance there are some people like this too, actually i think most alliances has this kind of players, we talk about war tactics, they do the tactics, but no word in the chat

1 Like

By the way this all came about because we had to boot a member earlier today because they left war flags on the field. It was painful because we only lost the war by 30 pts or so. This was their first time doing that, but they had been a constant titan participation offender for months, and they were mostly uncommunicative. So it was really their third strike in our view. What sealed the deal was the total non-apology they left in game chat for being the direct cause of us losing a war. Got us thinking about the other “dead weight” we have been carrying. Thanks for all your responses.

1 Like

Good luck. Hope it all works out. Just do what you have to do in an open and fair way

1 Like

I understand how it can be frustrating, when there is no communication.

I guess, like in other games, that have guilds etc - alliances - some people treat them like a “on the side thing” - barely saying hi when they log on, and others long for that sense of community and enjoys to connect across multiple platforms.

I would say, though, as others, - write them first, and then proceed to remove, if expectations does not align. Also for the sake of the rest of your members, who do contribute in the way that it was meant to be.

I´m very new to the game, just a few weeks in, and in the alliance that kindly let me join, half of the members are inactive and do not contribute to anything. But, it is a casual alliance, they do remove inactive members from time to time, and it´s still the summer holiday season, or end of it, at least.
And I, someone with a team score of 1700 and close to zero trophies, were allowed to join, so I am in no position to make any demands, since I am very much being carried!

I just mean, that, the remaining members you have who do contribute can end up feeling very frustrated too, if one member do not carry the weight they agreed upon when joining.

Good luck to you and well done for leading an alliance to victory :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Tough position to be in. Although I would argue your alliance mate in question, is not completely dead weight because they use all their war flags, and does well point-wise. :thinking:

Titan loot is the best source of non-farmable AMs, so it surprises me they wouldn’t maximise their use of titan flags. Especially, as they make good damage when they do. :thinking:

So… The real issue is they don’t communicate? Or potentially you could lose another close war because this person doesn’t communicate?
Or titans are escaping or /and other members are doing most of the titan damage, so a newer more active player would benefit the alliance more :thinking:.

I hope they respond to your messages. Kicking semi - active players is tough decision.

2 Likes

Being kicked sucks. I know lol. Sometimes people are just not a good match. I wouldn’t feel bad. There are plenty of alliances out there to choose from and if that doesn’t look good they can be like me and just start their own.

5 Likes