šŸŒ¹ A Player By Any Other Name... Where does your Game Name/Forum Name come from?

Well mine is just my initials and the game initials. Wish I had put a little more thought into it now haha

11 Likes

@Hrairoo I had that epiphany while talking to @Garanwyn a while ago, and had totally forgotten it was Fiverā€™s lapine name until that conversation. That was one of my favorite books as a kid! I read it again a few years agoā€¦probably time again one of these days.

@JLB_ep I literally loled :laughing:

5 Likes

The Spirit Chaser is the name of one of the boss battle themes from an old jrpg called Treasure of The Rudras. It was catchy as hell

5 Likes

Back in the early 90s, a group of guys at work talked me into playing a BBS game named Trade Wars. They already had a team with an X-Men theme so created my first BBS account using the name Havok. Been using it for everything since.

10 Likes

Wow. I totally forgot about Watership Down. I always thought u picked that because there was a Gundam Suit called Hrairoo. God Iā€™m a dork. I think anime and forget a classic fictional tale. Great name though @Hrairoo.

3 Likes

A book I go back to again and again and againā€¦love it!

2 Likes

Mine is a ā€œplayā€ on Winston Churchillā€™s reference to depression; his was a Black Dog and mine is a Black Cloud.

I added the Warrior on the end in reference to my battle I have everyday.

Black Cloud Warrior :crossed_swords:

22 Likes

They have Zelda for Wii?! Shut up! Iā€™m gonna go to eBay literally right now. Good looks!

5 Likes

My game name is iiiFILTHYY which originated from being a big fan of a band called Cradle of Filth, but ā€œfilthyā€ is also used as a positive term in competitive shooter games. Like if you make a sick play and kill several people in spectacular fashion for the round win or game win people will say the play was ā€œdisgustingā€ or ā€œfilthyā€ with a laugh. I do tend to survive situations I should be dying and I have good aim, so I make lots of filthy plays :wink: just yesterday I played a search and destroy which went to round 11 (thatā€™s the last round, itā€™s first team to win 6 rounds) and I went 21-7, winning multiple 1v3ā€™s for the game win. Just put the team on my back. Strapped on the backpack and carried. :poop: was filthy.

8 Likes
Maybe in emoji? Is it this?

:fork_and_knife::poop::dog2:@:crescent_moon:

So Iā€™m still curious. Where does @Rook come from?

3 Likes

Iā€™m 99% on @Garanwyn but would like verification too. But Iā€™m pretty sure I got that one.

1 Like

Good fact too if I remember correct in the book it means ā€œthousandā€ which if memory serves me correct was given to any number larger than 4. Wasnā€™t Fiver the 5th born and also the runt? God that was a great story. Iā€™m so stupid that my brain went right to Gundam. Such a dork.

4 Likes

Itā€™s from the Knights of th he Round table. But itā€™s all in the etymology. I needed an elf name for a game many years ago. Garanwyn is Welsh for ā€œwhite crane.ā€ Iā€™m pretty pasty white, and Iā€™ve got stilts for legs. Soā€¦

Since nobody else ever uses it, itā€™s always free on a forum. That encourages reuse.

18 Likes

Itā€™s an ā€œabreviationā€ from my sonā€™s surnames, Rareș Andrei, and also RA is the Sun God of Egypt making Joon my game avatar :grin:

5 Likes

Joyful818 is a combination of my area code & a reminder to focus on gratitude. My game name is Shining. When I chose Lianna as my avatar, I thought of the elves in LOTR and their active role of light in the world. I thought having an active verb as a name would be interestingā€¦Steven Kingā€™s novel & Jack Nicholsonā€™s character never crossed my mind until a teammate wondered if that was my inspirationā€¦

8 Likes

@Garanwyn are you Welsh? We had a team from Wales visit my sonā€™s special ed program for research a few years back. Some of the nicest people Iā€™ve ever met in my life. Wales is on my bucket list now

3 Likes

I actually use Lianna usually as my avatar too, since I first started. She reminded me the most of Link. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Wellā€¦ i guess youā€™d think: Boy, that nameā€™s pretty obviousā€¦ but youā€™d be only half right. Its merely a coincidence my name is Duche. Its most of my last name, and while most of the people with similar last names opt for the more family friendly ā€œDeuceā€ nickname, iā€™ve embraced my trolliness and in your face attitude and kept the name to its fullest extent :smiley:

11 Likes