🌹 A Player By Any Other Name... Where does your Game Name/Forum Name come from?

I’ve always been a Zelda fan since the original NES version (no surprise, right?), and in late 2002/early 2003 when The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker for GameCube came out, I bought it.

When I started playing, I wanted to pick an in-game name for Link that was wind related, just for fun and to be in keeping with the game’s theme.

I researched a number of different ideas, and eventually landed on using a name drawn from Greek Mythology related to wind direction, which left me with Zephyrus, Boreas, Eurus, or Notus as options. Of those, I toyed with both Zephyrus and Boreas as favorites, and decided upon Zephyrus for its connection to a favorable west wind, which seemed appropriate for the game.

I shortened the name to zephyr to modernize and simplify it a bit.

For whatever reason, it really resonated with me, and I’ve used it in a variety of contexts ever since, over the last 15 years or so.

When I originally joined the Forum, zephyr wasn’t available, and I’d read a lot of posts by @Pois1, so I was inspired to tack on a 1 and became @zephyr1.

Originally my Forum avatar was just the default Z, but when I became more active last year, I added on the Link avatar in homage back to the source of my name.

Ok, @Rook, your turn! :cat:

28 Likes