A New ToL Challenge

thank you @Ar.G so kind of you!!

I’m also impressed with others who did the challenge and had shallower rosters than I did! I was not even brave enough to do level 6 with only 3*s lol! (could probably have done it, but only with a lot of items!)

foi divertido, podia ter usado alguns 3* mas como tinha todos de 4* foi assim…

Google translation:

it was fun, I could have used some 3* but as I had all 4* it was like that…

esqueci algumas capturas de tela com o poder de equipa.

Google translation:

forgot some screenshots with team power.

9 Likes

@Muchacho I temporarily forgot I have too many 4* healers maxed. :sweat_smile:

I’ll still have a look at the bosses soon. :rofl:

2 Likes

Sorry I’m late. Enjoy.

Edit: Totally forgot that the Jack’o’Hare is not a classic S1, sorry about that everyone. Yet I could replace him easily with another hero, I had plenty.

I intend to make a whole playlist that sums it up that everything can be done with only S1 4* and easy enouh to get 3* s like Nordri (including solo wars, raids, or even mercing some more powerful titans) , so that newer and ever more seasoned players are convinced that there is absolutely no need to chase 5* heroes or 4* mats, and will just level up those at their leisure. Following that train of thought, here are two raids from this morning that got me into Diamond once again without that much of an effort:

8 Likes

@Muchacho I’ve completed stages 1-6 so far. I didn’t use any battle items on stages 1-5. I used items on stage 6, where my team was around 600 below the recommended TP.

Stage 1

• Team: Layla!!, Muggy, Chochin, Mermaid guy, Tettukh 1.40

Stage 2

• Team: Frosty, Gato, Chick Jr, Bjorn, Balthazar

Stage 3

• Team: Frosty, Vlad, Gill-Ra, Guardian Bat, C-Ulmer
  • Had one layer of Frosty’s minions for some protection before bosses

Stage 4

• Team: C-Hawkmoon, Chick Jr, Gato, Vodnik, C-Azar
  • I always try to set up the board, and have special skills ready to fire as much as possible before bosses

Stage 5

• Team: Mermaid guy, Nama +18, Ei-Dunn +18, Nama +18, Grevle
  • I made sure to max Grevle’s overheal before bosses

Stage 6

• Team: C-Renfeld, C-Oberon +18, Li Xiu with costume bonus, Tyrum with CB +18, Helo
  • Used all 20 small health pots
  • Noted @ferg wrote this stage was probably the most difficult. Thus I chose Li Xiu for her mana cut to all, instead of a 3* only team.
  • I let some heroes die instead of using bombs or mana pots. :rofl:

9 Likes

Nice work @SamMe !

I just beat stage 5 but will post all at once . Definitely won’t finish today, but likely tomorrow.

Using all 3’s so far. I have 0 3’s with emblems so stage 5 was tougher. The neglect I put on my 3’s is noticeable for this. I have enough 4’s to finish so I just need to decide if I mix 3’s and 4’s for 6 or commit to all 4’s :man_shrugging:

I also used battle items. Nothing excessive, but definitely used. I don’t play a lot of events so I have stock piles of everything so I don’t mind.

Good luck the rest of the way!

:beers:

4 Likes

Thanks @Muchacho

I emblemed some 3* for challenge events, and raid tournaments. I also maxed some 3* dupes for challenge events. :sweat_smile:

I prefer to conserve battle items, rather than having to farm more. Hence, I’d just ahead and use 4*.

Good luck for the remaining stages too! Most of all, good luck if you summon this ToL. :pray::four_leaf_clover::four_leaf_clover::four_leaf_clover::four_leaf_clover:

3 Likes

My 4* heros were just awesome!
Thanks again @Muchacho for the idea!

Final stage… Never leave home without Proteus! Although I imagine my levelled troops helped to breeze through this event. Only items I used were small mana for Proteus and health pots to make sure everyone made it to the end of the last battle.

9 Likes

That was also a close call with your lvl 6…
Congrats so far, looks good for the last 4 stages, you should have plenty of 4* left considering the teams you used so far :+1:

1 Like

And 6 to 10. Mostly stayed with my plan.

Didn’t use much items, a few manapots in 7 (red wasn’t on the menu that match…) to save 2nd Wilbur by charging 2nd BT (which didn’t work, he still died) and a single timestop in 10 to prevent Zim-kitty from cleansing deff-down.

Att+ and deff-down and plenty buffed tiles from jott just made 8 a breeze, bosses just melted. 9 went well, untill Khiona charged and my move to charge melendor caused a small cascade. Caedmon was just slashed to death… But melendor dispelled and was nearly there. In 10 last-minute decided on gulli in stead on mist. Plenty of yellow, so went into bossfase with nearly double health.

pics

Screenshot_20210625-202451
Screenshot_20210625-202852

7 Likes

Challenge completed @Muchacho! :wink:

Stage 7

• Team: C-Rigard, Gormek, Wilbur, C-Kelile, Scarlett with Costume Bonus
  • Used one small mana pot

Stage 8

• Team: C-Rigard +15, Sonya with CB, Boril with CB, Valeria, Grimm
  • Used six small health pots

Stage 9

• Team: C-Rigard +15, Mist +17, Li Xiu with CB +9, Sonya with CB, Jackal +18
  • Used six small health pots
  • Li Xiu died since I underestimated boss’ slash attack. :rofl:

Stage 10

• Team: C-Rigard +16, Gullin, Sonya with CB, Ametrine +19, Proteus +18
  • No items used :sunglasses:
  • I made sure to use Gullin’s overhealth multiple times before reaching bosses. This meant my team survived slash hits easily, and I never felt any need to use health pots. :muscle:

Additional notes:

• I completely agree with @Sarah2’s point that our levelled troops helped us out a lot. :+1:
  • I used a lot of duplicate heroes: 4x C-Rigard, 3x Sonya with Costume Bonus, 2x Frosty, 2x Li Xiu with CB, 2x Nama, 2x Mermaid guy, 2x Gato, 2x Chick Jr. Duplicate heroes can definitely have a use!
    @Shohoku79 This is an example of exactly why I “need” to keep duplicate 4* and 3* heroes. :wink:

Since 5* are excluded, I had to think a bit more about my team composition. Interesting to see which heroes, and battle items people used.

This was fun. Thanks again @Muchacho for proposing this challenge! :smile:

13 Likes

So I really enjoyed doing this and seeing everyone’s teams. Thanks @Muchacho for the curveball.

If I may be so bold as to offer a possible twist on the next one. Only items and troops you could use in a 4star challenge events

7 Likes

Nice work @SamMe . I just finished 7 and still had a 3* in my team. I have plenty of 4’s for 8, 9, & 10. Seems what I normally do of overusing 3’s and 4’s so good 5’s stay on the bench has shifted accordingly with the challenge as there will be good 4’s unused because I dabbled with 3’s too long :laughing:. Proof it’s me being nuts and not the game I suppose :wink:

2 Likes

I haven’t done any pics… so I don’t have a proof. But I finished too, with a lot more suffering at the final stage than anyone else here. Four teams failed before I decided that with my last possible 4* team, I’ll take axes, bombs and dragons! That one succeeded…

By the way, I tried it in “no-Proteus” mode. Until my very last trial at the last stage. Together with the carpet bombing, I hit them with him, too. So after the long torture of the former four lost battles, this winning one took maybe half a minute…

Also, I couldn’t have had five trials at the last stage if I hadn’t used purely 3s up to the 7th level. That was fun. These 3s can be awesome! Thanks to you, Grevle, cRenfeld, Bjorn and Tyrum!

4 Likes

I was torn at first on how to report this. After some thought I was figured I would just be blunt because while a lot of posters just report on wins and how easy everything is, there are a lot of lurkers and others that come looking for advice because every part of the game isn’t as easy for all players.

In short, I failed this challenge. It is admittedly pretty disappointing. There are some technicalities and nuances involved where I could make a bunch of excuses, but that serves no good to anyone.

As some background, I am a F2P who does not keep any dupes. This admittedly limits my roster even more so than doing either one of those without the other. I have been slowly creeping my power up into my 5* range. As a result I have stripped my 3’s and all but my none critical 4’s. When I did the original emblem 4* challenge in the emblem quests and stuff all the emblems were still on a lot more 4’s. Thinking back I may not have successfully done that either if my roster looks like it does currently.

Given my focus in higher hero classes I have no emblemed 3’s, no leveled costumes on 3’s, and very few newer 3’s leveled. Largely non-costumed S1 and S2 3’s. With my 4’s anyone that isn’t a critical one to me has either zero or 1 emblem. I counted 15 critical 4’s which would be 18-20 talents.

Really, everything went fine until Stage 9. I forgot to take all the photos I was supposed to, but you can piece it together. I have no qualms using items and did on most levels. I don’t do all the events so I have a good stockpile of everything.

Stage 1:

Unleveled 3’s. After playing with some I can’t wait to level them. Newer 3’s have some great powers.

Stage 2:

Still sneaking some unleveled heroes in.

Stage 3:

Into the all maxed 3 range.

Stage 4:

Here I forgot a photo. All are maxed with no emblems except Kvasir who is completely j leveled. Cool hero though.

Stage 5:

Forgot a photo again. First time I went 3* mono since I can remember. Tried to go mana control heavy. Worked reasonably well.

Stage 6:

Grevle is awesome. Overheal all the way. Even as a 3* he hung fine.

EDIT: I am pretty sure Fura reduces the elemental heal, but am not totally certain. Anyone else try this?

Stage 7:

I still brought a 3* at 7 because the D drop would help. She wasn’t that hard to keep alive actually.

Stage 8:

All 4’s now and some heavily emblemed ones. This stage went fine and was the last one to go fine. I thought I was in good shape as I had more 4’s left than I needed to finish (assuming I won). Anyways, onto the :poop: show…

Stage 9:

I thought this team would do fine. It is a little light in healing (as Kiril usually is). I wish I had Triton or something. I figured Little John would be enough mana control and Sonya could cleanse. In retrospect I usually pair Li Xiu with Little John and maybe that would have gone better.

This team failed. I recall a previous ToL where Khiona ate me alive in stage 8 or 9 because I couldn’t put damage her health gain. Super frustrating. Didn’t want to burn gems and had a back up team:

Stage 9 retry:

I had to use a 3* as my healer in order to have a team capable of beating 10. I really went after Khiona (maybe due to spite :wink:) and she just wouldn’t die again. Eventually I was down to just the left side enemy (I think Evelyn) but Khiona took so much time and effort to kill I died. The boards were really bad in this one for really long stretches so my plan of tile killing with Wu just wasn’t happening. I then DID use 75 gems because if I didn’t I wouldn’t have enough 4’s to finish.

Of course on the restart I had every tile I could ever need with Wu charged and Evelyn died in seconds.

4% elemental heal on a boss with that much HP is a PITA.

Stage 10:
No back ups, win or go home (fail) … or try with only 3’s (nope).

Mana control and whittle them down. Melenor overheal and G overheal. I went in with double health. Truthfully I would have won I feel as things were progressing fairly smoothly, but I lost connection and the game timed out.

That’s where I left it. I need to get some RL stuff done, but with that lost connection I am out of 4’a and will need to use 5’s, so I fail.

I didn’t give much thought to team comp in lesser stages or items. I think paying better attention would have helped. I also maybe should stop giving advice on the forums as apparently I am awful at this game too :laughing:. It is what it is, I may start looking for a new game.

Anyway, it was fun seeing everyone else have fun and try things. I like seeing Sumitomo’s and stuff get some action. I will have to redo the challenge in two months. 2 months is a long time to live with this, but so it goes.

I would also invite everyone to try the challenge again with no dupes :wink:. It does add a wrinkle. Hopefully some others lurking who struggled can find some solace that game the game isn’t easy for everyone except you. :+1:

While I appreciate everyone thanking me I want to make sure credit goes where credit is due. @Dudeious.Maximus was in on the conception of this as well. Of all the mods he is definitely … the newest :wink:.

Good luck out there and good luck on your summons!

11 Likes

I appreciate your honesty, and even though you said you’d failed at the start, as you shared your journey I was still hopeful you would succeed. The mark of a great story teller! :star_struck:

I have an alt account that I don’t push to complete ToLs. Need to craft a few more battle items first… I don’t think i have enough 4* heros either :thinking:. Stay tuned Expect complete and utter failure :wink:

Belatedly, thank you as well @Dudeious.Maximus for your input in this 4* challenge :innocent:

Edit : I have to disqualify myself from the 4* challenge, as I forgot I’ve already used Richard & Justice on my alt account to get to Level 8. So nothing to share, quietly backing away to the exit :sweat:.

4 Likes

It was a tough challenge @Muchacho. I’d be inclined to give you it based on your position and losing due to connection.

My roster focus has always been mostly 4s (the alliance I originally joined was stronger than a newbie probably should so I went straight to 4s to be able to war and titan hit effectively, until April I only had one rainbow 3star maxed team and none of them were healers) so this was in my wheelhouse a bit as I have a large number that I could use and a number of unlevelled i could use for the early, also luck wise I have a number of the better ones being non FTP.

Was a great challenge none the less. Happy playing all.

3 Likes

What… :astonished:
Lost connection and or game-crash are not fair.
I also worried so much with those both cases, I’m using old Phone… and game-crash is so often.

Wow, this is more challanging and interesting… all unique heroes… :muscle:

2 Likes

It’s good to remember it is just a game. I hope others don’t feel the need to lie about how good they are at it on the internet.

That’s kind of you to say @Sarah2 , thanks. :+1:

That’s kind, but unnecessary. I am an adult, I can live with losing at a game questionably fairly (if I have to, I guess :wink:).

I think next time I will actually plan ahead better. Not necessarily with who the bosses are as I like the surprise, but team comp and battle items each team needs. I admittedly got lazy there although I did threaten myself with putting in that effort earlier in the thread :laughing:.

Thanking back I went with a lot of set ups that worked when more of the heroes were emblemed. Those being gone made too much of a difference it seems. Like I said I shifted resources up to 5’s heavily this past year or so.

In two months I can level a lot of good, newer 3’s. That may help, but will certainly be fun to use them. By-Ulf actually lived admirably on Stage 9 until only one boss was left. As I said above Gil-Ra loves through stage 7 without taking real extra effort. Kvasir, c-Friar Tuck, and Grevle seem great too. If only RNG would give me new 4’s, especially costumes. No new usable 4* costumes since Chao in January. I still have like half total of 4* costumes. It been a drought.

That just how I have always played. When I started I think I read something about the designers intent to be to not use dupes or something and kind of went “sure, what the heck.” and stick with it. It definitely makes you think differently. You really need to think of when to use dispellers, cleansers, etc.

I would curious to hear your thoughts if you do it. I am guessing, but have always played this way. My perspective is skewed. I would recommend it to anyone though!

3 Likes

As an update I beat the final level pretty easily with a 5* mono blue. Raff is at 3:70. The other 4 are heavily emblemed. I used a super mana potion for Raff once to save Athena who was getting picked on and a Time Freeze when the board went really dry and everyone was nearly charged.

While I can rationalize it away and stuff I am admittedly disappointed I didn’t beat the challenge and can look back at several changes that, while you can never be certain, likely impacted some outcomes. Live and learn I guess. Been playing this 3.5 years though so maybe I won’t learn if I haven’t by now :laughing:.

The reason I posted is I actually managed to get Glenda’s minions to accumulate. I wasn’t making a particular point to. My beef was they’re so squishy it’s rare to keep a single one for a turn or two. People with Reuben can relate I am sure. I wonder if Zulag does better? It is the same HP percentage, but her HP is huge. I wish I had gotten her :man_shrugging:.

Did my summon even though I have 2 of the featured HotMs. Silly me, I took my Renfeld and Bane and moved on :laughing:

5 Likes