A good use for Thorne?

Maybe I’m seeing it wrong but to me it have too many counters to be a decent tank, even from 4* heroes.

Premium mana control have two greens (both fast) are all fast or average (Peters, Hansel, Gretel, Merlin): one cast of their special and Thorne is likely to not get up again

but they counter pretty much everything…
Many green heroes have attack reduction attached to them: this will affect 100% of Thorne’s special as he only deal damage. Even a normal heal (no cleanse or anything required) could negate most of Thorne’s skill as he only deal damage without having any status aliment to inflict to the enemies.
His strong point is his health and his defense but this one could easily be lowered, making his stats almost useless… Good tanks rely:

• First on their special’s speed
    • they have to fire at lest once: even the best tank is useless if he can’t fire his special
  • On the special’s effect
    • to make them stay longer into the fray (good for his role)
    • or to deal serious damage to opponents (offensive tank)
  • And last but not least on their stats
    • to help point 1 and 2, this shouldn’t be their first strong point

Thorne isn’t fast but isn’t slow either;
Thorne only deal damage, which doesn’t help his survivability, and it is low;
Thorne have good tanky stats but nothing more.

Not a good hero in my opinion.

Can you post even in this thread if you want? To make the topic have more views :slight_smile:

Thanks to all for sharing your thoughts and opinions, but I think we’re getting a bit off topic.

The question at hand isn’t whether or not Thornes is a “good” hero. I think it’s been pretty well established that he is, at best, sub-par.

The question is: have I found one thing that he may actually be good/effective at? The goal in Special Events is to KO the bosses as quickly as possible. With the right help, can Thorne do that?

I’ve also thought about replacing Grimm with Wilbur, at least for the 3 bosses. Lower their defense, raise my defense, both teams share damage. Normally, opponents sharing damage isn’t a good thing, but in this case you would divide Thorne’s damage equally among the 3. My math (and I’m no math-magician!) says each boss would be hit with damage about equal to Thorne’s main attack, in the neighborhood of 460%. That is with Boldtusk’s attack bonus, but is not factoring in Wilbur’s defense reduction. Use 3 mana pots on him, boom boom boom. Should hammer them pretty hard.

His special is too slow: I’ve seen Uclapack using x5(100%) mana potions and fire Gregorion 5 times to clear one stage (with one boss only) but if you were to try with Thorne I bet that you’ll lose many points due to time his special’s animaiton.

Spirit Link + Thorne = (460+230+230)/3 = 306% of Thorne’s normal attack on each target (1851)

It is an interesting strategy but you should take account of who have G. Panther and will use her on the event with the same strategy: she also lower Dark element defense and she will deal more damage on top of having shorter animation time.

(Thorne’s 1851 vs Panther’s 1650 with a further -54% defense to dark element)

To just answer the title, i would say he will be lovely with a cap and a cigar with the words “thug life” under him.

But thats it.

1 Like

He would be effective on AW bench team at 2/60, that puts him somewhere around between a 3 and 4 star in effectiveness. Possibly for color stacking if you are short on blue heroes. I’d take max Valen over 2 60 Thorne though.

Did you click on boss first to find out the maximum you can hit him with…kill shot?

Yes. It’s 1075. Final monster from 8-7. I wonder if other players experienced the same.

I have hit him for upwards of 1300 with Alasie.

Exactly. 1300 is very close to max hit. Screenshots show 133+.

Try same with a higher level boss, and see where you top out.

Pretty much the same. The incresease in real damage is 5-10%. Boldtusks should +48%. Do you guys experienced the same??

As KLinMayhem said

damage calculation has a random multiplicative factor that can change the output damage by a factor of almost 3, so in the first attack with boldtusk bonus probably you had a low multiplicative factor, while it was way higher in the second shot without the buff.
You have to try the same attacks several time and extract some mean values to see where the expected damages with and without buff lay

Best hit with buff is around 1350-1400. Withouth buff approximaty 1250. As i said the damage increase is about 10%. I farm 8-7 daily so i hit that monster a lot of times :)). This is the usual damage.

Ok, this is strange, my only guess is that overkill damage is treated differently. Then I suggest to test with a monster that won’t get killed by the hit.
I’ll try to verify myself, even if I’ve always noted significant increase of damage when boldtusk buffs his allies

Buff on tile damage works fine. The problem is with the special attack. I’m curious if it works the same with other players or it’s a bug.