A different kind of "Not gonna spend" thread

I don’t really regret what I have spent. I’ve just realized that the $$$ threshold for getting anything new has gotten too high to be worth it to me.

2 Likes

Oh not trying to disparage spending in any way. I have spent a bit myself even. Just it took me 2 years to reach this point, where spending more would have got me there sooner. Some players likely don’t have that patience to go the 2 years.

I even started a totally f2p alt in a small alliance so I could understand better the struggles of the pure f2p alliance members. What it has really shown me is the power and unpredictability of RNG and that if you are not prepared to spend mega$$$ you work with what you get and just enjoy.

Best example… I really wanted Evelyn… would have really fitted my main roster. I used all my tokens and for the first and only time did a 30x draw on the main… and then more than a 10x on the reappearance No sign! [by the way, I do understand drop rates … stats background]

The alt? Got two… each a single draw!! You either laugh or cry. It has certainly reinforced my behavior of spending a small amount on the main, and not stressing too much about what I don’t have

4 Likes

Great thread. Nearing this point too.

Also agree with what @princess1 said in that I don’t really regret it, either. Just kind of getting to the point where I’m happy with what I have and I don’t need much more.

My roster isn’t as complete as yours sounds like. I’d still benefit from a ressurection hero and a five star healer in each color, but… diminishing returns and increasingly low chances of getting the hero I want.

Looking at this Atlantis slate really solidified that, as I kinda went “Yeah, I guess it’d be neat to have Inari, but I definitely don’t NEED her,” and I’ve already prompted the other featureds.

Glad you’re staying and finding a great way to keep enjoying the game.

3 Likes

Yeah, I figure each month I’ll pick up a Google play card with my (much smaller) monthly budget on it, and use that for the really cheap gem deals. If I do manage to get a shiny new hero with tokens or coins, it will be even more special. If I don’t, no big deal. I still have a great roster, and more importantly, great people to chat with in my alliance and here.

3 Likes

I’ve been playing 18 months. I recently worked out that I’ve spent about 6 times as much on this game as I’d be happy to spend on a PS4 game, which gave me pause. I don’t exactly regret what I’ve spent (this is a different type of game, and the bite out of my entertainment budget is reasonable for the time I spend) , but I will be more frugal going forward.

Generally I’ve been happy to spend when it improves my daily experience (so VIP when there’s a lot to build) and when there’s a reasonable chance of improving my roster - so during the early stages when I had hardly any 4* so a 10 pull almost guaranteed an improvement, or during challenge or seasonal events for which I don’t have any heroes or wouldn’t mind duplicates.

The cost of a 10 pull would buy me a couple of hot lunches. Given the odds of pulling something interesting, I’ll be choosing lunch more often, but still making the odd pull just to support the game and in the hope of getting a hero that shakes up my game a little.

I’m really glad the challenges and tourneys give a use for 3*, which otherwise I’d be more disappointed to pull.

5 Likes

Wow - so well stated and find myself in the same quandry, your post has helped me decide to curtail spending and just enjoy the fun with mates in alliance and stop the all consuming quest to be at top, I don’t really care but got fixated on it and thanks to your post will return to “normal” play without spending. Thank You!!

1 Like

Well, if only the RnG Gods being kind to me much earlier and let me pull at least a single Atlantis legendary, most probably, I am still a P2W spending like no tomorrow.
Then again, turning VC2P/F2P is quite a blessing in disguise. Less expectation bring more fun.

2 Likes

@NPNKY your post is a food for thought. I consider myself to be a C2P paying for VIP every month and buying cheaper offers (as someone above I count how much I would pay for a hero and pick the cheapest options).
I was lucky enough to summon few very good heroes (even 5*) and yet I wasn’t fulfilled.
Even though I was unable to level all of summoned heroes I kept buying gems and try again hoping to get another 5*.
I was spending 30-70$ a month for few months which isn’t very much (although 70$ is more than 10% od minimal wage in my country). I didn’t have to choose between paying my bills and new heroes but I’ve came to a point where I have ten 5* heroes and many more of 4* heroes. Leveling them will take me so long that I decided to stop this madness :smiley: I’ll keep paying for my VIP but won’t spend money on any other offer for quite a long time.

2 Likes

Look at it this way. You aren’t buying anything tangible. Just pixels on a screen. What you’re actually paying for is entertainment. If you’re not enjoying yourself at your current spending level, spending more isn’t going to buy you more enjoyment. Think about where your enjoyment truly comes from and use that to guide your spending decisions.

7 Likes

Thought I’d just add a like, but this is such great advice encapsulated succinctly. I need to share this with a few alliance mates. Thank you :blush:.

4 Likes

To the Author , Very well said.

Slightly off topic, but the reason i now also approach the game the same way as you is because I’m at a point now where i can level up 5* heroes but think whats the point? i don’t have emblems for them.
I have 5* heroes already queuing up for at least the next 4 years. I won’t do pulls anymore.
There are a few heroes in the entire game that i really want purely for my defense, but like you say the chances of getting them is infinitesimal.
I now just enjoy the game at the level i am at, like you say it can sting when you realize the money spent on the game adds up to the price of a used car.

3 Likes

Two years later… Your necromancy skills can not be disputed. But the fact this thread is still relevant today, speaks volumes :thinking:.

4 Likes