60 plus summons and no Kingston

I’ve long had a problem with green heroes. My first 5* ever was Kadilen and though she helped me a lot, she is not the best hero to use for higher competitive play (which is where I am trying to be and getting at). Horghall has also stayed irrelevant so I haven’t even ascended my first. I then pulled a Margaret and thought maybe she’s my green ace, but after maxing her I found that she’s even worse than the ones I already had in so many ways. I pulled an Elkanen later on and yes, maybe he is good enough but I still wanted a truly solid green.

Then I heard the news about Kingston and began saving up gems and coins for him. I collected enough gems from good promos and was able to muster more than 60 summons, and despite all that anticipation and preparation and courage to do what was necessary, I still haven’t pulled a single copy. I keep hearing my alliance mates pulling more than one, having three copies not knowing what to do with the third or even second, and almost always surprised that they even got the first one. I made four different 10 summons and around 15 single summons, not to mention all the epic hero tokens which would be around 10 more, and I still haven’t gotten a single Kingston. My raid tournament boards even got so lopsided against me on the night I made the fourth 10 pull and it took a lot of resolve to not throw my phone out the window so I can be rid of the stress.

I know there is no solution to this kind of post and all I will receive are reminders that that’s just how it goes, that there’s nothing wrong with the algorithms, and that I can still make the most of my roster even without a good green. But really, is there anything else that can be offered to a person who made all the right preparations for an hotm, only to see everyone else get one or two or three and not get a single one?

I can’t think of anything that will make it better, but I hope there is. I don’t want to quit the game or despise it. I llove the game and I love my alliance, but is there really nothing else to this situation? Do I just swallow the heartbreak and move on, while I continue to have an incomplete roster of good heroes to use against the increasingly difficult competition? Can’t I just get a boost to Margaret who is still worthless? Is there really nothing else for me?

10 Likes

That is something all players had to come to terms with. I just personally swallow the heartbreak and move on. Making passive aggressive comments at the game to make myself laugh. Best trick imo when it comes to expecting heroes in an rng environment is to not expect that hero and they come when you least expect it.

That is exactly what happened with me when I pulled Kingston last night. Was on a streak of rares and he popped out with Chochin. I didn’t even expect in all honesty because it took me 6 months of playing to get Leonidas. And Kingston is my 2nd ever 5 star. I say if you got enough EHTs saved up, try pulling for him when the Halloween event starts.

6 Likes

Yeah, though that isn’t that improbable to happen: 0.987^60 = 0.456 or 45.6% of players who did 60 summons will leave disappointed. I had similar experience last AR, except with less summons. I wanted either Grazul, Alberich, Aegir or Ariel. I got duplicate Isarnia instead. I got pissed off and decided to cut the summons down until this gamble of a game repays back that to me (ideally on form of Vivica and her upcoming alt, but Victor would not be bad either). I’ll see.

9 Likes

Yeah it’s rough but there is NO guarantee when doing summons. Keep in mind that all the players who pulled Kingston rarely say just how many pulls they used or how many times they failed chasing a HOTM in the past.

Kadilen and Elkanan combined are supposed to work better than they do alone. Keep running TC20 and get a Lianna.

7 Likes

I know you aren’t looking for a post on odds, but I’d feel irresponsible not placing it. See below BUT ALSO SEE BELOW THAT FOR MY ANECDOTE.

Some useful insights:

• 73 times out of 100, you’ll get a HOTM by pull 100
  • 95 times out of 100, you’ll get a HOTM by pull 229
  • 99 times out of 100, you’ll get a HOTM by pull 352

Putting that in Perspective

• 27 out of every 100 people won’t get the HOTM by the 100th pull
  • If 1 Million players each summoned 100 times, 270,000 of those players wouldn’t get the HOTM
  • 5 out of every 100 people won’t get the HOTM by the 229th pull
  • If 1 Million players each summoned 229 times, 50,000 of those players wouldn’t get the HOTM

I was in a similar situation as you were last December. It was even a green hero - Evelyn. I saved gems for months. Also EHT’s to use in the Christmas event. In total, I want to say I pulled 73 but don’t remember the exact number. I did not get Evelyn. I did get good heroes, including Rudolph, Buddy, and Santa.

I did something similar for Seshat. I don’t recall the exact number. I did however get her in my second 30x pull for Atlantis.

I did something similar when Ariel and Poseidon were featured. If I recall, I did two 30x and got zero 5*. That week, I got a work bonus so said “what the heck” and did another 10x. Still nothing. Rather depressed, I said “let’s just do single pulls to get rid of all my gems” and got Ariel within 4 single pulls.

This month I too wanted Kingston. I did 70 pirate pulls. Got Captain Kestrel but no Kingston. I’m fine with that. I’ve also got over 20 EHT to use in Halloween for a shot. But when Atlantis came, I did a 10 pull and got both Ursena and Kingston. It was a total of 81 pulls.

I share these numbers for perspective. I don’t consider myself a big spender, but I do spend. I have a budget. I will usual use my budget for a month and then wait. It’s typically about every 3 months or so I do a pull.

The most important thing in my opinion is to know what your budget is and have fun within it. Some people have excess money and choose to spend it here. More power to them. Others choose to compete here with little or no money spent. Another way to enjoy the game. Many (myself included) are somewhere in the middle. The game is set up so we can compete with others at our level and feel challenged trying to go towards a higher level.

I recommend you consider where you want to be in the game and play your style. Seek that enjoyment and understand if your budget is say 60 pulls a month, you’ll likely get some HOTM but not all. And don’t feel like you need to spend to get enjoyment. Enjoyment can be found at various levels which, in my opinion, makes this game great for a vast array of people.

10 Likes

Not to fall into the anticipated response, but I do feel it’s important for others to point out that the cumulative probability of 60 Summons is a 54.3% chance for at least one HOTM.

So you had barely better than a coin flip chance of getting Kingston.

I say this not to rub in your frustration, but just to help set realistic expectations for others in the future.

Because waiting and saving as you did, and then using all of that hard work toward one hero is a very easy way to end up disappointed and frustrated.

Well, in the moment, not really.

This is the current reality of the game.

But it doesn’t have to be this way — they could certainly make other ways of acquiring heroes, like Shards, or adjust how summons work, like by adding a Pity Counter.

Supporting those sorts of ideas is certainly one option.

Beyond that, I’d say the most important thing is to reflect on your mindset about heroes and the game, to avoid setting yourself up for continual frustration.

9 Likes

You should never chase a hero, no matter how great it is or how much you want it, unless you’re able to live with potentially spending a ton of money and not getting what you wanted. You should also ignore other players outcomes and focus solely on the odds provided. Some pull Kingston from a single pull and I’m sure there are others who have pulled a lot more than you and didnt get him either.

3 Likes

That’s unfortunate m8 and unfortunately like you stated you already know the answers that will follow this OP so be prepared, lol.

On a side note though and I say this only from personal experience as it has nothing to do with the odds in pulls but over my 17 months of playing I have seen plenty of vids and topics here like yours where players will do 30, 50, 100 plus pulls and not get anything and I myself got to thinking and paying attention to when I do pulls.

As a player that has gotten 99% of all his 5* heroes within the first 3 to 4 pulls which is about 70 or so (including duplicates I have fed into each other) I truely believe my system works well for me.

This is my routine for doing pulls. Firstly I have totally given up on 10 pulls as they have never given me a 5* yet so I haven’t done one in over a year so all following comments are based on single pulls only.

I will do a pull during events or atlantis and if I get a 3* I will wait about 2hrs and then try again and keep doing that till I get a 4 or 5 star hero.
At any point if I pull a 4* I will follow that with another pull, if that next pull is a 3* then I wait again.

If I get a 5* I do another pull and again stop if I get a 3* and start all over againg.
I usually never need to do more than 3 pulls before getting a 5* or HOTM. BUT I have done sometimes up to around 10 single pulls in intervals as stated above over the course of the month before getting a 4 or 5 star. But I have also gotten 2x5* on first 2 pulls or within the 3 pulls.

I found that this RNG system has it’s moments and it’s about finding that special moment when the system wants to be generous. I have seen plenty of players doing vids on 100 consecutive pulls and get nothing but 3* and I just keep asking myself, WHY you idiot, can’t you see the system isn’t paying out, why do you continue?
It’s all about timing IMO and I yet to prove myself wrong.

This method has provided me with many 5* s on first and second pulls followed by HOTM.

Now as I stated this is only my system and we probably all have superstitions when it comes how we perceive an RNG in our minds, but this works well for me, I never spend a great deal and haven’t spent anything for a few months except for the current VIP special which also just gave me Kingston on my one and only Atlantis pull.

Good luck

5 Likes

I agree completely.

Chasing a specific hero is a road to frustration even for the big spenders in the game. A better path is to accept what the game gives you and work with that. I’ve been playing 20 months now and I have 20 unique 5* heroes. 17 of them are S1 available from TC20. That’s what I work with. If anything else falls in my lap along the way, it’s gravy on top. My last HOTM was 15 months ago.

Even without the shiny HOTM (my two are NOT shiny) I can compete in diamond and get A or A+ grade on Titans.

4 Likes

I decided to research my quest for Evelyn as I documented it here. It was actually a fun read to see where I was at about a year ago. I hope you enjoy.

And this is my first interaction with @zephyr1 (at least that I recall), before he was a mod. I remember his reply and thinking “who is this guy?” Now we all know. :smiling_face:

2 Likes

100% agree, if you pay close attention to the complaints they are all mostly from players that go in expecting a specific hero or item.

If you play this game like you would play LOTTO where you give it no second thought to the outcome, you will find you will not only reduce the frustration but enjoy the game more.

4 Likes

So true, i am playing for 15 month, and got 2 hotm (miki and grazul) and got 3 heroes from atlantis (posiedon, tarlak and thoth amun) the rest are 11 tc20 legends.
As everyone alse i would love to get those shiny best in game heroes but even with the one i got i nail every team in game even a 4.5k ones. I do well vs 10/11 star titans. Ifinished top 100 in rare and epic events. So i just play along trying to get more and save my hero tokens for event pulls. Waiting for 1 hero with the lame odds this game have is just torture yourslef.
GL with the future pulls

3 Likes

Many of us understand your frustration :frowning:

I have never been a big spender, and will never be, because I am not someone who enjoys gambling.

I do enjoy making the best with what I get however, and thats what keeps me playing.

I never get the hero I really want, but I have picked up some fabulous heroes while trying for the ones I really want and many of those heroes are 4*

I think I have had better luck than many in the game, but I have had a great deal of frustration along the way! I have learned to do my summons when there is an increased chance of “something” good dropping, and run 2 tc20 24/7. And then go with what fate grants me

2 Likes

Here’s my totally worthless contribution to the conversation.

If you want to be happy in this game, the key is…

to…

lower……

your expectations.

I’m sorry if that sounds like bad advice, I’m sorry that I don’t know that “one special trick” to pulling great heroes (if I did, then I’d have them all myself, and I’d be sitting back laughing at all you nubs).

WHY do I still play, even with a crappy roster, bad loot, unfair alliance war matchups etc. etc. etc.? Because… honestly… I kind of stopped giving a crap a while back. About where I placed in rankings. About whether I win or lose. About whether I get the bonus loot from a rare titan. About whether I pull a 5* from a summons or my 50th copy of Bane or Dawa or Prisca or whatever. I know that RNG is :poop: so I stopped giving a :poop:.

Does that mean that I stop playing, or stop trying? Nah. It just means that I stop beating myself up when things in the game don’t go my way, because a large portion of it is beyond my control anyway. :man_shrugging:

Sorry if those comments don’t help or console you in any way, but it’s all I’ve got. And if anyone here claims that they know a way for you to get a guaranteed Kingston or whatever, they are most likely even more full of :poop: than I am.

8 Likes

I did around 180 summons, no Kingston either. You’re not alone.

1 Like

aa0

2 Likes

I’ve been playing pretty cheaply. So I’ve never done a ten-pull, or anything like that. But I do end up with a decent number of pulls per month between VIP, free gems, Atlantis coins, etc. I’m coming up on a year of play. I have one HotM (Margaret), who I maxed against all advice given, because if I finally get a HotM, I’m going to find a way to use it, by gum.

Came into this month really wanting Kingston (I’m also bad on green 5*s, debating going with Elkanen at this point…), and pulled Finley on my first Pirates pull this month.

Even though lightning has already struck this month, I’ll probably still burn my EHTs at Halloween in the hopes of getting Kingston…

2 Likes

You know, it’s cheaper to save up (free) gems for a ten-pull than to spend them on one-pulls as you go …

1 Like

Cheaper, yes, but who has that kind of patience… especially when some event heroes or fancy HOTM pops up… spend the gems now for a less than 1% chance of getting the hero you want? Or save them up for later to do a 10 pull for heroes that you couldn’t care less about? I think most players if given a choice would rather have a 1% chance to pull Kingston than a 20% chance to pull Margaret. :grin:

1 Like

The thing to remember is: the team you have is great because it’s yours. You get to spend a LOT of time working on that team and getting it maxed to the point where it can be effective. Sure, it may pale in comparison to the teams you regularly see in the top 100 but then it also probably cost you a lot less to acquire it. A LOT less. Like orders of magnitude less.

And on any given day you can still win the raid. Not always, and maybe not regularly, but you can. And that feels good!

Sure, go for pulling the new HOTM if you want. But even if you don’t do it, you still have a great team!

1 Like