2021 HOTM - Best Heroes

Now that all the HOTMs of 2021 have been released, who are the best heroes?

If anyone knows how to do this, perhaps we can do a poll that ranks these heroes from #1 (best hero) to #12 (worst hero).

Also, if you were to construct a team (Offense or Defense) comprising entirely of 2021 heroes, which heroes would you pick?

6 Likes

For each 2021 HOTM, pick the ranking (1 = Best, 12 = Worst). Polls aren’t linked so you can put more than one hero at any ranking.

January - Bertila

0 voters

February - Uraeus

0 voters

March - Malicna

0 voters

April - Frosth

0 voters

May - Yang Mai

0 voters

June - Elradir

0 voters

July - Devana

0 voters

August - Chazzoszrot

0 voters

September - Alexandrine

0 voters

October - Russell

0 voters

November - Balbar

0 voters

December - Hanitra

0 voters

11 Likes

Placeholder for ranked list results later.

2 Likes

Great! Thanks for doing this, BlueHair.

1 Like

This is as close to what you describe as I could find, @Shere. Hope it kind of matches what you had in mind. I’ll update the list placeholder once more when more votes are in, listing them in ascending order by the poll averages.

Thanks for starting the topic!

3 Likes

Being a spreadsheet-type of person, I was thinking each Hero is a row with their ranking (1-12) represented across 12 columns. So each voter picks 1 rank for each hero; 12 rankings in total.

Looking at the early poll results, all heroes had a minimum of 8 voters with Devana and Hanitra having up 10 voters. Meaning some voters didn’t rank all heroes. Hmmm…

Many heroes are ‘bunched’ around 6-8 average rating. So no ‘best’ hero (1-2) or ‘worst’ hero (11-12)???

1 Like

Looking at the average ratings, it seems Alexandrine is the favourite followed closely by Devana with Balbar asleep in last place. :joy:

2 Likes

That’s what I was hoping for, too. Didn’t expect it to only show the average for each until i saw the polls in the final post.

Another option would be to invert the structure. Instead of one question per hero like above, it could be one question per rank with the 12 heroes as choices for a single pick question for each position. Still couldn’t enforce a full ranking though, as each poll wouldn’t be tied to the others, so the same hero might show up multiple times at different ranks.

Something like this:
Who is the real #1 hero for 2021?

• Bluehair
  • Salmon Loki
  • Morris
  • Renfeld

0 voters

I agree. Inverting the structure like you suggested doesn’t guarantee each voter will vote for all 12 rankings either.

I think voters are deciding ratings for each hero (typically 1-10) as opposed to ranking all heroes from 1-12. In the former, all heroes can be rated 5 whereas we were going for unique rankings ie there has to be a #1, #2… all the way to #12.

I’m going d’accord with most ratings.

I rated Uraeus and frosth a little bit better and Elradir a lot better.

I for example didn’t vote for hanitra. She is just too new, I have absolutely no experience with her either on offense or defense. And when I learned something is that you can’t really judge a hero based only on their description. There were a lot of heroes who read good but were ■■■■ and the other way round. I’m sure, there are more people who just don’t feel confident rating heroes they don’t have much experience with.

I think that’s more representive. For me 1 means totally OP and 12 completely useless. Most hotm this year are just average a little below or higher.

There is still a rating from best to worst, just look at the score and you see the rating from 1-12, but with what we see here I think it helps more distinguish between the scores more.
Between 8 and 9 wouldn’t be much difference if we would only see the ranking, but if 8 has a score around 6 closer to better heroes and 9 a score around 8 closer to the worse heroes there is a finer rating.

Or to say it short, at least I like the rating system as it is at the moment.
Thanks @BlueHair for adding that.

4 Likes

Nice thread and interesting question from OP…

If I would have for each of my below choices a lvl 29 mana troop and enough emblems to get them to +20, I might consider a formation like this one: (in reverse format)
Bertila - Uraeus - Frosth - Hanitra - Malicna

1 Like

Surprised to see where some of the niche heroes fall, like Alexandrine. Even when I bring minions to raid she’s still a non factor. Also surprised to see Elradir and Russell up there. Guess to each their own, but probably people rate ones they raised higher than ones they didn’t raise.

1 Like

I think the problem is different people have different priorities.

It seems you vote from a defense position. Yes there Alexandrine is mediocre. But on offense she is really good, and for titans great if you don’t have jott.

Same with Elradir, for defense he is really weak, never had a problem there, but on offense he is a beast, probably one of the best out of the bunch, at least against dot heavy defense teams.

So this rating is like all ratings really subjective, but it gives you a nice overview what others think about some heroes. But I personally would never level or bench a hero because he is good/bad in such survives.

1 Like

Actually I think people take into consideration all factors, offense, defence, raids etc…

Elradir against the right team is a killer…
Alexandrine is a titan killer + very good against minions who do DOT
Russell can be very good with the right heroes in his team…

of course people raise the ones they have and who are usable for them a bit higher then others, but in my opinion that’s the meaning of a poll no? to get peoples opinion summarized…

1 Like

I think we’ve had a really good year of hotm even the weaker ones have a number of good niche uses and definitely worthwhile having. Will have a proper think about where I rank them later.

3 Likes

Yeah, that makes sense. I mostly care about defense because that’s the one place you have zero control. I find offensive units for raiding quite simple to construct and barring RNG from boards I feel like I can win way more than I lose. It’s putting up a solid defense that moves the needle for me, so that is definitely a priority of mine. Titans being the second.

1 Like

I suppose this is why we need to read instructions carefully :rofl:
I voted thinking 1 - worst 12 - best. So I was surprised to see Uraeus with a 4.5 avg, while Chakky had an 8.2 avg.

3 Likes

The polls were so confusing. At first I thought I am giving points and the more I give the more I like the said HotM :open_mouth:

Anyways. My personal ranking below from worst to best. In bold those who I have, though I played with all in beta.

Chakkoszrot - a hero whose special is balanced for average, but for some reason got slow; meant to counter Odin or Sif but at his speed he’s countering maybe Boss Wolf at best. Wasted idea - but it’s a theme that plenty of 2021 HotMs presently; built to counter someone but SG too scared to give them enough power to actually do so; ended up having niche heroes that aren’t even good at their niche [on 1/1 forever]

Frosth - I hate these straightforward, damage only meatshield minions. Too weak, stupid turboslash animation etc. Very few minion heroes concept I actually like, but Frosth isn’t one of them. Offensively, just worse than Bera or Freya by a mile (look my terrifying minion slashes will now hit for 14 and not for 12). Defensively just food for minion counters. I intentionally let him fire just so I can then goatrun them. Only haven’t been placed last as apparently some people like him and though I never figured out why, I don’t want to hurt their feelings. [intentional skip]

Malicna - when you thought heroes like Danzaburro were just one-time experiment that got forgotten after it wasn’t too loved - SG releases Malicna. 33% monster 66% disappointment. If you ask me, I get kicked enough by RNG in this game to give my Tabards to a hero like that. [intentional skip]

Bertilla - having hero like Lady Loki in game, that doesn’t get that much love at all, Bertilla being a castrated Lady Loki is just sad. A neat mechanic but if you want to deal with ailments, simple cleanse is just better. And if it’s better - imagine a slow hero that hits and cleanse… come on, we had Zimkitha as HotM who was fast and helped dealing with all kinds of cleansable ailments just better + she gave an attack buff. Who’s Bertilla? At least she hits proper for a slow hero, unlike Trashoszrot. [on 1.1… 1.34 actually, she was my green feeder eater when I had noone else green to work on]

Russell - here’s your first hero to counter C Kadilen - he can murder her and the team regardless of the dodge - how cool is that. Except he hits like he couldn’t murder a dodging fly. In times when Feline was buffed to deal 330% to 3 targets at fast speed, average Russell dealing 350% to 1 target was just a slap in the face; and that silly burn. There was a good chance for Russell to be a must have hero against C Kadilen, but you’re far more likely to win by taking two fast snipers and kill her before she fires than with this * * counter * * hero who just waves his stick. He gets much better when paired with heroes like Emilio or Nadezhda or GM costume who help him charge faster and justify his lower dmg; but else, he’s just too slow for being this weak. [1.1, waiting for buff some day]

Balbar - interesting new mechanic but required further polishing that was not given to it. So while firing Balbar at proper time may increase the following sniper damage to ascertain a kill shot, navigating through less perfect scenarios is pretty painful, and waking up the target by accidental cascade or stupid DoT tick just sucks. Not bad for banishing hero on a battlefield, can definitely be useful for plenty with less developed rosters. [1.1, just too many greens; he’s in the queue for some day]

Yang Mai - everything I complained about with Malicna and Russell is valid here. RNG hero that just hits like a noodle unless you roll the strong dice and murder everyone with a 1500+ dmg hit. Where Yang Mai wins is the elemental link, which even though got nerfed, is still very good, especially on a fast hero like her. Damage dealt, even though is a coin toss every time, is still somewhat acceptable especially that it increases with the stacks. Nice hero concept overall, with only a bit underwhelming RNG factor. Definitely fun to use. [maxed + emblemmed]

Alexandrine - pretty much average hero, which for a HotM is rather a compliment; tile dependency makes her not quite reliable healer for most dramatic times, but an OK one; with tile boost, even though it’s rng based, you get chance at nice follow up damage which isn’t the case for many healers. The only wrong about Alexandrine is her element - sadly, blue has so many great and unique healers that you either end up with a roster of healers or you need to pass on some… sadly, among the premium ones, Alexandrine is rather the one to be passed [3.70, very far down in the queue for maxing]

Elradir - a unique case of a counter that actually counters stuff! While Elradir isn’t suited for general use, for the niche he’s designed for, he does some really sick and ugly things. Charging mana per ailment is especially effective against big flying moth lady. And while you still need some luck in him getting the DoT casted on him, or hold your cleanser potentially harming some of your teammates, watching the DoT reflected to all is just pure satisfaction [3.70 and constantly getting skipped right when it was his turn, first Eiora then Francine; this time he’s next though unless something wild like Quenell appears]

Uraeus - one and only true sniper HotM released this year. A hero we really needed for the minion madness era, and who really made it easier to get us through it. Bypassing minions in dealing damage, casting DoT sufficient to kill off others on the map and finally being a strong hitting sniper regardless of whether minions are in game or not made Uraeus one of the best HotMs this year. And while average speed is a drawback, it becomes less of a factor when you are looking for a high Tower floors squad etc. He’s just solid for his purpose, and still usable outside of it. [maxed & emblemmed]

Hanitra - just a placeholder rating as I have not much experience with her, other than some lab use in beta; she seems like a hero on par with C Kadilen in how annoying she may be, if not more; dodge chance is the same & dodge effects are better than Kadilen’s, with the drawback being no damage. Having Monk class means she can resist your typical C Kadilen counters (Malosi, Onyx etc) and being resistant to Alfrike she may be gamechanger for Very Fast PVP. I wouldn’t be surprised to see C Kadilen being removed from top defenses for Hanitra, not to double the color with Frigg. Time will tell, but on paper, this is very strong looking hero. [just pulled, not sure what to do with her as I am personally using Inari]

Devana - one and only cat lady; if you look at her it’s nothing special but it all comes so nice together in the end; a solid hit, a dispell (rare stuff with yellows), that beefy 35% hp minion-killing minion and the great elemental link on the top of it. Immunity to Bera while murdering her mosquitos is so nice. Could you survive without Devana? Certainly… there are other strong 3-hitters, other dispells, other yellow minion counters, other mana buffers… But she’s just all-in-one, and the art is so great, it’s just a hero to be loved. [maxed + emblemmed]

33 Likes

Appreciate very much your carefully considered reviews on each hero. It seems 2021 is a good year for Holy HOTMs. I notice your top 3 - Devana, Hanitra and Uraeus - are all Holy.

For the poll, it wasn’t meant to be confusing. Just rank (not rate) the heroes. So in reverse order (like in a Miss Universe competition), #12 - Chakkoszrot, #11 - Frosth, … , #3 - Uraeus, #2 - Hanitra and #1 - Devana for your rankings.

One more question - Would you construct a team based on 2021 HOTMs for the family bonus (yet to be revealed)? If so, which heroes ‘play’ (or should I say, ‘fight’) well together?

2 Likes

So from worst to best (H) means I have the hero

Bertilla(H) - In VF format may be more useable but I’ve not really found her hit to be as destructive as it could be, this may be because I’ve kept her at 3/70, but mats wise I need further convincing.

Frosth - A hero I enjoy seeing on defence where I know I can just ignore him while I take out other threats. I can see lots of use for towers though if I had him.

Malicna - I know a lot of people use her effectively, but just doesn’t suit my playstyle. I like to know what will happen when I fire a hero.

Chakrozot- A useful hero and someone I wanted to use instead of Quintus in VF mode. Does a lot of good things, not ranked higher due to his speed, but if you have the likes of Grimble, Xman, Ludwig to put in a stack then could rank higher

Yang Mai - Can get pretty high attk stat which could get good for titans and when gets the extra hits is nice. As per playstyle and Malicna though I’d prefer a hit target/ nearby where I know what will happen

Russell (H) - I like the guy, been doing some testing of him at 3/70 with JF against the likes of Neith. She fired but immediately on my turn his mana was full again and he hit despite the blind. Has uses other than just against the dodge which there seems like will be an increasing amount of

Balbar - Interesting mechanic. Being able to eliminate a opposing hero is good, just the chance of waking from a stray unused tile makes him less useful than others

Alexadrine - A solid heal and good for titans, my only thing is the tiles remaining on board can sometimes lead to issues

Elradir (H) - Good hero, Would have been very good in the GTV era but with meta shift has less of an automatic vs any team now. I have 2 at 3/70. Planning to max 1.

Uraeus (H) - Does exactly what he says on the tin. Can kill, good minion counter, very worthwhile. Don’t use mine as much as could at moment as had emblems tied up elsewhere. He now is getting all sorcerer shinies though.

Devana - Just a great hero, plus yellow debuff which isn’t common

Hanitra - I reserve the right to change this once see her more but seems really good now and one I’d love to add to my roster

2 Likes