1.12 - Discussion & Feedback

Admittedly, my post is a general view/comment on the topic.
I quoted you and @Brobb mainly since I believe you were the heaviest contributors to this thread.

Weather it does or it does not is of no major concern to SG. They will only, and rightly so, implement game developments that they feel will contribute to their ultimate goal.
However, you may wish to read also my following thread:

Having said that, I do not think this will affect the game so much and, between yesterday and today, I have managed to revenge successfully gaining also more than 30K of food from a team less than 50 points stronger than me. Now, I do not know how much I would have gained pre-nerf but I don’t agree that raiding has lost it’s value! (My defense team power is 3459 & lurking between 2150 and 2350 trophies.)
As to cup-dropping, I am completely against it so I can never agree to it!

This is when one or two have to agree to disagree :wink:

2 Likes

It should. Whaling is a very lucrative business, but by letting all the small fish thrive fisherman overtaxed the population to near extinction.

Besides, marlin still bring in plenty of money and are so much more numerous that it can easily be a better performing business.

If SGG wants a lasting business model they need to pay attention to these things.

I am not sure. I have met many top players in Peer Support in Global Chat mentioning they are cup-dropping. Maybe not the top 1% but not only the top 1% are in Diamond Arena.

I am a bit confused here. Some say that the Diamond Chest is not much better than the Platinum Chest.
Is it? In that case, it is an incentive!
Is it not? Inn that case, what major advantage are they getting!

I agree but remember that SG what a platform that keeps raking $ for years not months!

I thin you feel rather. But do you honestly, think that you could be at par with teams that have the 3xAs -
Alberich, Athena, Ares. Yes, even I have on numerous occasions revenged successfully against them but will I ever reach them? I don’t think so, unless new more powerful HOTMs are released to render them normal and I spend a truck-load of money every month to get each new HOTM (and I am not one who gives up easily, I can assure you :wink: )

This is where we def can agree to agree :wink:
However, the player base (and I suspect the company profits) is/are increasing, so are they really doing so badly?

1 Like

The owners of the whalers of yesterday cared little for the owners of the whalers of today and owners of the whalers of today care little for the owners of the whalers of tomorrow…alas!

Does everyone really do what they preach about re-using and recycling?
Do we all go around in low-power vehicles to care for the Earth of tomorrow?
I am not saying that I do not agree with stopping whaling and recycling, but I am afraid that what I believe in will have little effect on what the world will do.

Sorry…I deviated a bit :blush:

Shareholders come and go. In brief, SG shareholders today care about today’s profits!
(Unfortunately, a bit just like many care they can enjoy Earth today!)

Kinda late to the party - I expressed my pointed disapproval of the AW matching change a day or two ago. And this is not the first time I’ve been unimpressed by a change to AW matching - so should we say that hell froze over the first time I started griping about it? Or maybe hell froze over back last year when I was grumbling that cup dropping was ruining trophies as a measure of raid skill, and SG needed to address the issue? Or maybe it was when I was whining about their horriific communication skills when it came to the mercing issue? Or could it have been back when I was moaning about zombie alliances ruining recruiting?

Hell seems to be a pretty chilly place these days.

@Brobb No, you were always a SG fanboy. What you said three days ago was this:

That’s not the kind of the disapproval you just dared today. (Did you try alliance wars in the last 3 days?)
Also, you suggesting they should do this or that doesn’t come anywhere close to qualifying a recent change as a “seriously bad decision, potentially a disaster.”

1 Like

I co firm. Running 14.9 previously i Got fiestones – currently nonę.

No. I think we agree on these issues. Let’s check: here’s what I think.

1. The change does not affect the customer base evenly. It results in elitism.

2. The changes have no effect on the meaningfulness of the game.

I’m arguing that the changes are good for the game, which is unrelated to the above matters.

Flagging for insults

20 characters

2 Likes

I guess we agree more than I thought. Do you believe that promoting elitism is good for the game? I was under the impression that you felt the change was for the best, and personally don’t see how creating a larger divide could do that.

I still believe that trophies have less meaning for the majority of players though. It sounds like the system works better for those in the top tier, but for anyone below that threshold there’s such a minute difference in rewards it is pointless. I’ve not even finished dropping cups to ensure I don’t have to worry about emptying my WT - I’m in the 1400 trophy range - and found two targets with 22k ham lootable. From what I understand of raising successes at diamond level, that’s nothing to sneeze at even if it’s still mega nerfed from before. And since platinum was never nice enough to warrant staying (at least for me) I don’t see why I should still be competing at the 2100 range.

Brobb, sorry I can’t find your post I wanted to reply to specifically, so I’m using this one.

Your argument for liking the new raiding has to do with cup-droppers taking away your joy/fun derived from you being able to use/show your skill at raiding. And, I endorse that…for you. But even you recognize the affect on those below.

Do you have suggestions on how to have your cake while letting others eat? (Wrote that and all I could hear was Marie Antionette. Yikes)

Also, what do you think the possibilty is that a similar situation may develop in AW? Will an alliance with a top player in platinum and several in silver have problems the homogenous alliances won’t?

I searched through here… not super thoroughly, but i cant find any meantion as to when alliance wars are going to be back… any updates @Petri?

The War delay announcement post under the News and Update section was updated 05/11/18 to say they are hoping to have everything up and running by the mid-week war Tues/Weds

2 Likes

Thanks… I just read that the post was ten days old and didn’t look for the edit.

Reminder to play nice. Thanks. :slight_smile:

1 Like

In this case, yes.

If this is true, then SG have almost precisely achieved their goal: they have removed the incentive for top players to cup drop without penalising lower tier players for being in lower tiers. I guess we’ll see over time whether it has worked.

Don’t worry about getting the precise thread right.

No. My argument is that the trophy system was utterly broken as a ranking mechanism mainly because there were strong incentives for players to drop trophies. Removing those incentives ought to make cup dropping less common and ought to improve the value of trophies as a meaningful measure of raid skill. I think this is probably what SG intended, and it makes sense.

I think that as a secondary matter, low and mid level players have lost a rich source of resources by the nerf. SG likely didn’t intend for them to have such resources and be able to progress through the game so quickly, so they’re probably pleased by this (or at least not upset). I might be wrong: this might have been their primary motivation. Regardless, I don’t really care about this aspect, either way.

Do you mean, how could low and mid level players keep their flow of resources while still restoring the integrity of trophies as a ranking system? I guess the obvious way (suggested by many others already, so I’m not breaking new ground here) would have been to give a super-boost to high tier raid rewards. So instead of letting Diamond harvest 30,000 per raid and limiting Bronze to 5,000 (or whatever has been implemented), Bronze could have been left alone and Diamond boosted so that an average raid netted 200,000 food.

But the effect of that would have been that suddenly, resources were not a constraint on anyone’s progress, and I don’t think that’s an outcome they wanted. As I noted above, I suspect that limiting the speed of player progress was, if not the main goal of the nerf, at least a happy side effect for SG.

I’m sorry - I don’t understand this question. I do think intra-alliance power distribution is relevant to war success, but I’m not certain how.

1 Like

Riddle me this Brobb-man: what were the devs intentions when they made resources loot in the raiding system, and why did they then give us a second builder which is a resource sucking machine?

I grabbed the VIP because I saw the dynamic as well as understanding how to keep it running. I know Rook points out how the gems can be seen as enough of a reason for buying it, but players who grasped its strategic value are left with just thd gems in a way.

Did the devs have some other idea of what VIP meant to the game?

1 Like

I’m guessing about this stuff. Here goes:

Resources were never a constraint on the use of the first builder. Maybe the devs expected that a shortage of iron would limit the use of the second builder a bit, so that players couldn’t have it running all the time. So maybe they were shocked to see that some players, even at low levels, could generate resources to power the second builder 24/7, while simultaneously producing a steady stream of recruits to level their heroes. Maybe this had them slapping their heads and trembling uncontrollably when they realised that they had inadvertently permitted raid loot to power super-fast progress through a game that was designed to be a slow grind.

Or maybe it was simpler than that. Maybe they just saw that players weren’t bothering to level their mines and farms first of all, when that ought to have been their top priority. Maybe this was a big red flag.

Just guesses, as I say. I’d like to know SG’s thinking, but they don’t seem fond of sharing their thinking.

2 Likes

I don’t think the devs are sitting there thinking: “hmmm, looks like a lot of newer players are progressing faster with the second builder they bought, this is bad news! We must make it harder!”

1 Like